Billings, Montana? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 08-27-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I will be coming to Billings this weekend to look at houses and just generally check the area out. Any one have info on organic stores, food co-ops, playgroups, that kind of thing? I know there is a midwifery group there that has an apprenticeship wait list. Anyone have any info on them? Pretty much anything you think we might be interested in, I'd love to hear it.
#2 of 15 Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think Mountain Midwives is the lay midwife who lives in Billings ... we live a couple hours away, so am not really familiar with the stores etc. in terms of organic or etc. I think there are a couple health food stores there though, and there have been occasional posts to this forum from moms from the area, so hopefully you'll hear more about it from them?

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 15 Old 08-28-2009, 04:02 PM

Hi from Billings!

Mountain Midwives is run by Pat Schwaiger. She is a CNM who does homebirths and apprenticeships. On a personal note, she was my midwife and she and her apprentices are wonderful! They have a website I believe.

As far as food co-ops, there is the Good Earth Market downtown, a great place to shop. And a few other health food stores. There is a great farmer's market downtown on Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings.

As far as play-groups, I know Pat's clients were having one, but I think it is on hiatus for the summer. I don't know of any others unfortunately.
#4 of 15 Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies ladies. The house we went to look at was already under contract and has been for a week. The other agent was still booking showings, and didn't bother to tell people it was under contract. Oh well, we got away without most of our kids for a little while so that was nice.
#5 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
Hi from Billings!

Mountain Midwives is run by Pat Schwaiger. She is a CNM who does homebirths and apprenticeships. On a personal note, she was my midwife and she and her apprentices are wonderful! They have a website I believe.
She's my midwife right now! : And yeah, I'm traveling all the way from Wyoming to see her

Just had to throw that in there

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#6 of 15 Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 PM

Apostle lutheran playgroup is a good one but not many afternoon ones. So I can usually make a playdate out of that place like once a month because there playdates are around 10 am and with brendan in full day school not able to do that .

I'm also looking for more people to join my social women's group . I need to get it more active as in to have Yes to show up .

You can find those on meetup
#7 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 02:37 AM - Thread Starter

Actually, it turns out that the contract fell through and we got the house. We should be moving there at the end of the month, if all goes well. Now I have to find a homeschool group, find a playgroup, get my school going kids signed up for school, find out about sports activities and ballet, natural food coops and stores..... The list is endless.
#8 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 02:32 PM

How old are your kids?

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#9 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I have 4 boys that are 11, 9, 7, and 6 and 2 girls that are 4, and 1. We cover a pretty broad age range!
#10 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Wow 4 boys and 2 girls that's way cool. What area are you hoping to be in billings .

harvest church used to have a homeschool group unsure if it stilll does .

Apostle Lutheran Playgroup would work well for your younger kids. Possibly also your 6 and 7 yr old in the afternoon.

Sports for kids in the fall usually end right around the last week of october or first week of November.

Certain sports will begin in Jan from the Ymca and other sports not until March or April.

There is ballet and there is also a kindermusic here. There is also a MyLittleGym unless if it disappeared and it's a pretty pricey place.

Many times from June-beginning of october they have farmers market with fresh fruits & veggies, even baked goods .

Bonanza, Marys health foods are really good at health food stores .
#11 of 15 Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

That's great! Thanks for the info. The house that we are buying is on Walter Rd, so right at the edge of town on that cliff that kind of overlooks the Yellowstone (or would if we could see that far through the trees). In town and near church, public school (for some of my kids), Walmart, etc but on the outskirts so it gives a lot more privacy.
#12 of 15 Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 PM

I hope you love it here! I know Billings Parks and Recreation has a playgroup as well. I meant to take ds before he started school, but we never got around to it, so I don't have firsthand experience. It looks fun, though. http://prpl.info/recreation/yef_playgroup.html There are some other things on that site that might interest you too.

I hear good things about the Yellowstone Naturopathic Clinic if you're looking for anything like that.

You might check this site out too for some upcoming events going on around here -- http://downtownbillings.com/

I know there's a lot of homeschooling support in some of the surrounding smaller towns. I don't know a whole lot about Billings groups, but I would imagine there would be some decent ones. It seems to be a pretty homeschooling-friendly atmosphere, at least IME.

#13 of 15 Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

A lot of things about Montana as a whole seems to be more friendly. Or at least more independent, you're not going to tell me what to do, kind of attitude. When it comes to homeschooling they have some of the easiest laws to work with. Also, having midwifery related stuff clearly defined is awesome too.
#14 of 15 Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 AM

Yeah, it's pretty nice. Billings definitely isn't the crunchiest part of the state, but Montana in general is pretty friendly toward those things with their laws.

#15 of 15 Old 09-30-2009, 06:19 PM

I been to billings community playgroups the host is a great lady her name is Julie Morris .

They also have Mom's Club and a stroller stride .

Also, just in case if your looking for a foreskin friendly ped the more likable one is Michelle Pierson as long as you tell her Don't touch right at the beginning of the checkup and she won't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page