Crunchy family practice doc in Billings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Title says it all. We are moving to Billings next month and are looking for a relaxed, laid back kind of family practice doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Their are really not any here plenty of them are pretty pro-vax and don't know much of foreskin if you have any boys who are not circ'ed.

Even the homepathic ones are clueless and not places you cover by insurance .

Dr. Starr at billings clinic is more relaxed on the vaccine style which is what crystal said she don't vax . I also know he gives wrong advice for foreskin care in babies .

Michelle Pierson Pro-vax but would listen if you say Don't touch my son's private part

Also, didn't someone say something about Dr. Van Nice who lives in laurel ,montana .

Kdaisy did you get him as a doctor for your son ?
Childrens Clinic is the worst of all .
#3 of 15 Old 10-23-2009, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, knowing the ones to stay away from is definitely a big help too. I don't mind vaxing, but I delay and selective vax and won't be told how to take care of my child. I pretty much want someone that you can get in to see for sick appt's without waiting for a few wks for an appt or being forced to go to a walk in clinic (I was told that by a receptionist out here once; the next appt wasn't for two weeks and I'm like, by that time my child would either be better or dead) and that will accept my choices about my children's care and leave it at that.
#4 of 15 Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 PM

I really haven't found a doctor we LOVE, but I'm pretty happy with where we are so far. We were at Children's Clinic, and I hated it there. I was told there that I was *required* to wean ds at 12 months, all younger mothers abuse their children, and that I was setting up ds for a certain death by refusing the chicken pox vax. We moved over to Dr. Sorenson at Billings Clinic earlier this summer. We've only seen her once for a well-child appointment, and I thought she was very nice. We selectively vax, and while she did want to discuss it and made it clear she was on the pro-vax side of things, she also treated me respectfully about the decision and it wasn't a huge deal. I've seen two other doctors there for same-day care, and while I don't know where they stand on issues like vaxing, I thought they treated ds very nicely.

I think right now, you're going to struggle more to get quick doctor's appointments because of the H1N1 hysteria. A lot of offices around here are setting aside 2-3 days per week where they see nothing BUT flu-related cases, and are trying to squeeze all their regular appointments into the other couple days. Before it turned into such a big thing here, I never had trouble getting ds in within a day or two at most. He had to go back in the other day, and it took a little more doing, but he was in within three days. I have a feeling it will calm down again a few months from now when the worst of the flu season is over.

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#5 of 15 Old 10-24-2009, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

That works for me. Fortunately my family is rarely "see the doctor" kind of sick so not being able to get in right away doesn't matter so much. Not being told what to do or threatened, that matters. Kind of funny, I can look younger than my age. I've finally started to catch up, but for years I had to worry about docs not taking me seriously because of how young I looked. In April I took my 13mth old in to a walk in clinic, described the symptoms to the doc, and she was a bit of the "It's a young mom, probably over doing it a bit" type of attitude. Then she asked me how many kids I had. I told her six and that this was the youngest. She stopped in her tracks and turned to look at me and asked me again how many I had, I repeated my answer and she asked if they were all singletons. I told her yes, and they had 2 or so years in between each with the oldest being 11 which made it clear to her that I'm a bit older than I look. After that, she treated me very respectfully, had me go over DD's symptoms again, and took my comments seriously. The way she put it was, a mom of six has seen it all and knows when to worry. Turns out my daughter had a massive ear infection which was affecting her balance, etc.
#6 of 15 Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM

I sound so young on the phone and many people ask is your mommy there or is your daddy there . If not can I speak to an adult that is around .

Plus, when i first moved into my apartment some people thought I was a babysitter of my own son lol but boy do they ever try to give me advice of how bad parent I am when they let their grandkids or kids ride on bikes with helmets, nearly everyone in this complex smokes yuck and many overdrink too sheesh and these are the ones that are so bad with their health trying to give me Health advice besides ??

So what are you guys doing for the H1N1 because the H1N1 has hit our apartment complex definetly the people down at the end , my neighbors more likely have it .

So far I have been so weary of that H1N1 vax what about you ? I have been totally doing extra vit c , vit d , taking very hot baths with lavendar and dead sea salts.

Also, I was telling brendan to stay away from the kid who was playing outside with H1N1 but he wasnt listening so I been taking extra measures of protection including trying to clear up airways so no lung complications can result from this or a need of hospitalization either because I think the landlady had it too .
#7 of 15 Old 10-25-2009, 10:55 PM - Thread Starter

It's already come and gone in our house. My niece had a confirmed case of it, her sister then got ill, my son caught it, and then I did followed by 2 more of my kids. The older you were the harder it hit; the younger kids had 2 days of illness, a third day of no fever but still being a little slower than normal, and then were fine. My 9 yr old spent three days on the couch, and then was getting around on the 4th day. Me on the other hand, I was sick for a week. It really hasn't bothered me much. We don't vaccinate for that type of thing, in most cases I feel it's unnecessary, so we didn't really do anything beyond the norm. Plenty of fluids, kept my school going children home the entire week they were ill (not entirely because of them; partially because I was so sick and my hubby didn't see any reason to get them out the door when this type of illness was in the family). For me, flu stuff comes and goes. The name may change, but there has always been the flu and there always will be.
#8 of 15 Old 10-26-2009, 03:31 PM

So what did you feel like when you got sick and what did he kids feel like when they got ill ?

Around easter I had type a influenza so I wonder if I had h1n1 then or maybe I had it the year before because that was the worst I ever felt throwing up , diherea , fever , fatigue, muscle aches , my thyroid levels went through the roof from 5 to 250 because they weren't able to be into my bloodstream . brendan had the same thing for 3 days I last a week. Never got tested for that one.

the easter one I had fuzzy weird stuff feeling in my chest which I always seem to have due to my hiatal hernia issues .

mom had worse issues than I did and she was more miserable than I was ! Brendan supposedly had it then it went to a secondary double ear infection . I'm just assuming .

Mom had never got swabbed because they didn't think she would have the flu because she had the flu shot & then she was so afraid of me touching anything or even having me in the same area as them even though they all had the flu shot except for me & brendan.

I imagine we all had H1n1 in spring and brendan fever got higher like 104.5 with his double ear infection . He had chills but was still an active boy when his fever was down but as soon as it came up he became lethargic .

So far usually brendan starts getting the coughs by now .

I also try to take nice relaxing baths when he's at school then I can be relaxed when he comes home .
#9 of 15 Old 10-26-2009, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

The kids had a fever for two days with lots of sleeping and some aches and pains, then fatigue and weakness for a day. That's all 3 that became ill. A 4th woke up one night with a fever, but after some meds it was gone by morning and never came back or slowed him down so I'm pretty sure that wasn't it. Mine was fever for 3-4 days, aches and pains, fatigue, lightheadedness, etc. Took me a few days to shake it off after the fever was gone. Overall not too bad, especially since we didn't get the vomiting or diarrhea. The baby now has a runny nose and nasty night cough and one of the kids has his annual runny nose and cough (due to back drainage), but other than that we're good.
#10 of 15 Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
Also, didn't someone say something about Dr. Van Nice who lives in laurel ,montana .

Kdaisy did you get him as a doctor for your son ?
Childrens Clinic is the worst of all .
I was the one who mentioned the doctor in Laurel. When I called in Jan.'08 I was told he wasn 't taking new patients.

We see Dr. Lionel Tapia at the Children's Clinic. We love him. He is very laid back. His own sons are not circumcised. And while he disagrees with delayed/nonvaxing he respects our decisions and does not push it. Every WBC I have had there, they simply say, "are we doing any vaccinations this appt?" and leave it at that. He is also super pro-breastfeeding (his wife is a lactation consultant).

I can't say anything about the other doctors at the Children's Clinic, but I like and respect Dr. Tapia.
#11 of 15 Old 10-27-2009, 04:10 PM

That's great daisy and he doesn't do no retracting at the wbv or tell parents to do that at home @ bath or every diaper change ?
#12 of 15 Old 10-27-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoB View Post
That's great daisy and he doesn't do no retracting at the wbv or tell parents to do that at home @ bath or every diaper change ?
No, not at all. He is very knowledgeable.
#13 of 15 Old 10-27-2009, 05:53 PM

Wow that's great kdaisy ! I have had people going to children clinic with them stating doctors told them to retract to clean and they always wanted to know which one wouldn't do that . I even told them that was bad advice for docs to tell you to do that one of them didn't even want to listen then told me she was given pictures of a foreskin who had got gangrene because it was not properly cleaned . I asked her to show me the pic and she never did !
#14 of 15 Old 11-19-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaisy View Post
I was the one who mentioned the doctor in Laurel. When I called in Jan.'08 I was told he wasn 't taking new patients.

We see Dr. Lionel Tapia at the Children's Clinic. We love him. He is very laid back. His own sons are not circumcised. And while he disagrees with delayed/nonvaxing he respects our decisions and does not push it. Every WBC I have had there, they simply say, "are we doing any vaccinations this appt?" and leave it at that. He is also super pro-breastfeeding (his wife is a lactation consultant).

I can't say anything about the other doctors at the Children's Clinic, but I like and respect Dr. Tapia.
We've seen Dr. Tapia and liked him OK. I met his wife after our birth at St.V's. I was pretty impressed that they automatically send in a LC. We usually see Dr. Collette (at childrens clinic) and have been pleased w/ him. Same story, he knows we selectively vax and doesn't sweat us about it. I've had some interesting and pleasant discussions about immature immune systems, ages and boosters. He actually recommended we wait on the dtap booster for DD b/c she was a few months from turning four in which case we could skip a booster. We just reviewed common causes for tetanus, what to watch for and do if we suspected a tetanus prone injury. He's also EBF friendly from my interactions. Being so far away, we don't go in very often either though.

But I'll also say that I don't really invite discussion about my parenting choices either. I ask the questions I feel I need to get more info to make said decision, but on many issues it's not up for discussion w/ me. I don't *think* I'm mean or rude about it, but it's just never really been an issue for me. Maybe it's my aura
#15 of 15 Old 12-19-2009, 02:20 AM

Did you find one?

We go to Jennell Duey at Billings Clinic (Lamplighter). I've known her for years, and actually when my son had a fungal infection in his ear, she just told me to put a mix of vinegar/alcohol in his ear for 10 days. She has no problem with me diagnosing and using garlic oil for ear infections and I don't vax, she respects that.
You do need to establish care with a dr. and then you can ask for their nurse's number, b/c the nurse can often work you into their schedule or let you know if they have a cancelation. Last week I called in the morning and we got an appt. for the afternoon, it was very nice.

Rachel, wife to Brian, mother of 5. Lover of birth.
Blog on profile.

User Tag List