Wyoming Midwife Licensure Bill 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There is another Midwife bill in the legislature this year (last year's passed the House and didn't get anywhere in the Senate).

It's a Budget Session, so they need 2/3 majority to pass it this year.

If you want to know more about the bill, and are on Facebook, they have a group (Wyoming for Birth Options) that people are using to keep updated on progress etc. They have a link to the bill's wording, etc. as well.

They also have a website, http://www.wyomingforbirthoptions.org

Please, contact your Senator and Representative (and if you know someone else who works in the legislature but doesn't represent you per se, feel free to contact them, too ).

We only have until the 20th to get this done! The bill is called SF 0048, the "Midwife Licensure Act." Call or email your legislators ASAP! Let them know you are a constituent, and that you want them to support this bill.

To figure out your Representative, go to this page (you don't need to enter a district # if you don't know it):
http://leglocator.state.wy.us/leg2/w...?map=0&scope=-

To find your Senator, go to this page (again don't need to know your district # to find the senator):
http://leglocator.state.wy.us/leg2/w...?map=1&scope=-

ETA: Let friends and family know to contact their legislators, too! There has been (not surprisingly) some big pushback on this by the medical community.

Not all who wander are lost.
#2 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for typing this up and getting links in there! I have been, and will continue to be, in touch with those that represent me.

It's obviously quite personal to me at the moment too, since I'm 38 weeks now.. and tomorrow I have to make the great trek (again) to see the midwife all the way up in Billings (a 2.5 hour drive on a GOOD -- aka, non-snowy/icy/etc -- day).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#3 of 15 Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Have a safe drive to Billings and back tomorrow (today I suppose)! I've been sending blessed birth vibes your direction for awhile now.

BTW I noticed your sig awhile ago - I'm Catholic too! Wonderful that your husband is studying to become a deacon.

#4 of 15 Old 02-14-2010, 02:20 AM

The drive back from Billings was quite terrible today! But I'm incredibly thankful that my mom drove me because from Laurel to Bridger was just a mess.. white-out conditions, formerly-slushy-but-turned-to-sheets-of-ice roads.. then it cleared up and the drive through Wyoming was great

I appreciate the blessed birth vibes! I'll take all I can get for sure (and though I'm hoping for a nice, swift labor, I'd like to at least notice soon enough to MAKE IT to Billings first..lol)!

And yeah, dh is studying to be a deacon! He actually attended a seminary in Missouri, studying to be a priest before I became a 'chalice-chipper' and stole him away One of his younger brothers actually followed through with things and will be ordained as a priest in May in our home parish!!

I'm trying to recall if there is anybody from Sheridan studying to be a deacon.. for some reason I think there is, but for the life of me cannot recall (they only have retreats for deacon candidates and their wives twice a year!).

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#5 of 15 Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM

SF48 passed the Senate this morning 27 to 3! http://legisweb.state.wy.us/2010/Introduced/SF0048.pdf

* Please contact your Representative and ask them to support SF48 right now! Several legislators have mentioned that they have only been hearing from doctors this year. We have to show that there are many people in Wyoming who believe families should have this option.
* Ask all your friends and neighbors to email their representatives too.
* Please come to the House hearing. I believe it will be heard in the House Labor Committee on Wednesday upon adjournment. We need lots of supporters there!
#6 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

I got an email today saying that the bill just passed its third reading in the House, with only three nays. I think this means it's pretty much a go? Just waiting for the governor's signature.

Here's hoping! I wonder how long it will take for us to have (m)any practicing midwives in the state.

#7 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanorh View Post
Here's hoping! I wonder how long it will take for us to have (m)any practicing midwives in the state.
I keep following this too and have been so happy about how things are going!!!

I hope it's not long until there are practicing midwives here!! (gosh I'd love not to have to travel.. I'm still worried about driving up to Billings! ... I'm 40w5d now... still hanging in there).

#8 of 15 Old 03-05-2010, 10:49 PM

A friend just send me this, I can't find the source but I'm sure it will be in the WY Eagle tomorrow:

"Cheyenne, WY (March 5, 2010)—Governor Dave Freudenthal signed into law
today a bill to license and regulate Certified Professional Midwives
(CPMs), making Wyoming the 27th state to legally authorize midwives to
provide out-of-hospital maternity care. In a notable reversal of
longstanding anti-midwife policies, medical groups worked together with
legislators, midwives, and advocates to reach consensus on a law that
provides for independent practice, mutual collaboration, and the rights
of parents to choose where and how their babies are born."
#9 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Congratulations on your new wee one, Judybean! I hope you and Hazel had a wonderful birth and are enjoying your "babymoon" right now.

#10 of 15 Old 03-08-2010, 03:55 PM

nak

thank you so much!! the birth was.... amazing,intense, hard.... and perfect!!

#11 of 15 Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM

Congratulations Judybean! Did you have to make the drive?

And I'm glad that this finally passed. We're in Laramie and when/if we finally get pregnant, I'd like to have more options. That said, I'd want a VBAC so I'd still probably have to set up camp somewhere in Colorado to make that a possibility. This is definitely a step in the right direction though.
#12 of 15 Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

I need to read the actual wording of the final bill - but IIRC, it just says that midwives are to recommend that clients with (BMI above X, VBAC, etc.) see a physician. Maybe I'm just reading it wishfully, but that seemed to me to imply that if the woman chose to continue working with the midwife, the midwife wouldn't be in trouble as long as she'd recommended that the woman see an OB. Maybe someone with more legalese knowledge will speak up?

#13 of 15 Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area Babe View Post
Congratulations Judybean! Did you have to make the drive?

And I'm glad that this finally passed. We're in Laramie and when/if we finally get pregnant, I'd like to have more options. That said, I'd want a VBAC so I'd still probably have to set up camp somewhere in Colorado to make that a possibility. This is definitely a step in the right direction though.
Yes! I made the drive in plenty of time because of early labor signs!! here's the link to my birth story: http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1203554

My midwife (and her two student midwives) were so excited about the passing of the law here saying they could come down for my next birth (which, um... whoa... better be a long way away.. lol .. this last one was WAY intense and might just scare me off for a while .. but in a good way! I'm still completely empowered and amazed at the strength I possess!)

#14 of 15 Old 03-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Do you guys have a link to the law so I can read the specifics?

@ Bay area babe: How are CO's laws? I know that the hospital in Fort Collins is likely to do VBACs, they are also certified baby friendly. The Birthing Center in Denver is great, but I'm not sure whether they are "allowed" to work with VBAC patients (I know breeches get sent to Swedish hospital, Dr. Hall does vaginal breech births).
#15 of 15 Old 03-22-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
Do you guys have a link to the law so I can read the specifics?

@ Bay area babe: How are CO's laws? I know that the hospital in Fort Collins is likely to do VBACs, they are also certified baby friendly. The Birthing Center in Denver is great, but I'm not sure whether they are "allowed" to work with VBAC patients (I know breeches get sent to Swedish hospital, Dr. Hall does vaginal breech births).
I don't have a link - it was written up in the paper. Perhaps you can Google it? It should be available as public record online.

We researched the local feel when we were moving here, about two years ago, but we've yet to get pregnant again so I haven't spent a ton of time on it recently. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page