Taking a Florida baby to North Dakota in the middle of winter! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think the title says it all I need some advice on taking my Florida-born 16month old to Grand Forks next week. My husband's grandmother is turning 85, and she has yet to meet her only great-grandchild. We decided on a whim last night to spring for a visit. Tickets are bought, everything is arranged, I even bought Meadow a fleece bunting suit for the occasion.

But please tell me, what can I expect? How on earth do you keep a baby warm in such cold weather?? It's so warm and humid down here, will the dry cold be a shock to the system? Do I need to worry about keeping her hydrated? And are there any articles of clothing I need for her (bear in mind, she usually doesn't even wear socks, so if there are things I need to buy, tell me now!) or any tips for keeping warm? Our plan is just not to go outside if possible!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM

I took my dd to visit her grandparents in Alaska for Christmas when she was a year old. We live in Colorado and I was still freaked out. Many of the things you might need, you might not be able to get where you are. Hat, gloves, my dd had a thermal union suit. Socks and shoes/ boots, etc. But you never know we went to South Dakota last year for our spring break and it was beautiful. The next week it snowed three feet.
#3 of 4 Old 02-22-2010, 09:49 PM

The key is to dress in layers. That way if you get warm, you can remove layers and if you get cold, you can add layers. I would say your best bet would be jeans or pants, onesie or shirt, and a sweater for most days. If you have thick tights, she could wear a dress. You will certainly need mittens, hat, jacket or snowsuit and some boots. You probably won't find a lot of that in Florida or here for that matter as it is all being clearanced out!! But maybe you could see if there is a family friend who has a child close to the age of your DD. That way you could borrow it and not have to buy a bunch of stuff you won't use again.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2010, 01:41 PM

I felt the same way bringing my winter baby to a hot humid place.

Make sure to hydrate, definetely. Lotion on the skin will help alleviate some of the itchy dryness. Obviously warm clothing when outside......

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page