any Montana midwives within 3 hours of Great Falls? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-07-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Great Falls but am having trouble finding a homebirth midwive that both DH & I like here. So I'm going to contact anyone within three hours of Great Falls (Helena, Bozeman, Missoula, Butte...anywhere!) and see if I can find someone we can agree on who'd be willing to travel. If you know of any midwives in any of these areas, please LMK!
#2 of 10 Old 06-08-2010, 12:57 PM

Birth Mama Childbirth Education in Missoula could give you a list of home birth midwives in the Missoula area. There website is: http://www.freewebs.com/birthmama/ Contact info is: chardoula@msn.com or bearruncreek@aol.com or call 546.6452 or 251.4401. We had Michele Neal for the birth of our son & absolutely loooved our experience with her but unfortunately she's moved up to the Flathead. My sister had Sandahno (sp?) at the birth of her son & also had a wonderful experience. I know that Sandahno does travel & has been practicing for a number of years. A LOT of Missoula mamas have her at their home births. I don't know is she would travel to Great Falls but either she or Birth Mama may be able to provide the names of other possible midwives. All the best to you!
#3 of 10 Old 06-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I'm assuming you checked out this one?

http://helenamidwife.com/

No idea what she's like, but she's the only one that I know of.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 10 Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 PM

Green Midwife in Bozeman is awesome, not sure if she travels...

Jenna, Mama to my little sprocket, born at home 5/29/2010
#5 of 10 Old 07-11-2010, 06:54 PM

When are you due?
#6 of 10 Old 07-11-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

I'm due the beginning of November. We did find a midwife here finally though
#7 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM

out of curiosity, who did you go with?

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#8 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

An apprentice midwife here (Melanie Arkoudas-sp?) and then Joyce Vogel from Libby is technically the primary midwife but I don't know if she'll actually make it in time for the birth.
#9 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 02:54 PM

The midwife for our dd moved out of area so we are looking for someone for our new little one. I'm trying to decide if I should go with someone out of Great Falls, someone out of Bozeman, or going with a birth center birth this time. I had a wonderful experience birthing at home, and I think I would really like to do that again. I guess I just need to start making appointments to meet and hopefully it will be an easy decision. I don't think time to get here will be an issue (12 hour labor), but I suppose each labor is different.

Good to know that Melanie does home births as I knew she was associated with the birth center there.

I also think I would have liked to of had a doula, but now that I've experienced it, I don't know if I would want one this time or not??

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#10 of 10 Old 07-27-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Are you in Helena? You have lots of options if you are...assuming the Bozeman midwives will drive to Helena I guess.

Did you have Traci for your last birth? She was my midwife too for my last but obviously not an option for this one!

We just had one issue or another with the two licensed midwives here in GF (you can PM me if you want more information). I like Melanie a lot but she won't be able to take her own clients until a little later than my due date, so we had to find someone we felt comfortable with who would work with her (since no one outside the area was willing to travel here). She's mostly apprenticing at the birth center but I think she'll be primarily a HB midwife once she's done.

I don't know on the doula thing...I prefer to be left alone during labor so I'm probably not the person to ask!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page