Midwife in Billings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-20-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard the midwife in Billings is moving. Does anybody know if that's true? And does anybody know of any others? I haven't exactly kept up since it's been 9 years, but last I knew, there was only the one in Billings. I suddenly have a need for one now.
#2 of 12 Old 09-21-2010, 04:09 AM

I hadn't heard anything about our local midwife moving. Her name is Pat Schwaiger and her phone number is 245-6654. However, I have heard through a midwife friend of mine who works at the Elizabeth Stanton (I think that's right) birthing center (part of St. V's, I think), that it's grown into something better than it was even just a few years ago.

I know that's vague but if you're interested in going with a midwife in a birthing center... Well, I just know my friend and she's an amazing person... might be worth checking into.

Good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 09-22-2010, 03:15 PM

I've heard talk that she is, and another woman in the practice is taking over for her. I'm not sure if that's true, but it's what I've been hearing.

I had my youngest through Elizabeth Seton, and they were great, but it was a hospital birth, not a birthing center. As far as a hospital birth goes, it was a wonderful experience and I loved the midwives there.

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#4 of 12 Old 09-23-2010, 05:26 PM

It is true, Pat is retiring, she is getting married and moving. But what I have heard is that her apprentice, Katrina, who is now a midwife, is taking over. Katrina was my doula for my first birth and is amazing. I wish I could have had her as my midwife for my second.

I had my second (VBAC) with the Elizabeth Seton midwives and they were great too. But as Whimsical said, they are hospital midwives and deliver at St. V's.
#5 of 12 Old 09-24-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all! I'll have to get ahold of them.
#6 of 12 Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I had contacted Pat and was going to go see her as my midwife but wasn't so sure about her. I've been thinking of UCing (unassisted childbirth) but then I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if you can opt out of things like vaginal exams, different tests and stuff. Or will they be upset and deny care? Does MA cover any of these midwives? I still don't have MA but think I'll apply for it and hope that I qualify. I can't stand OB's but if I get a midwife I'd want someone willing to listen to my desires for things, not someone who's going to take over and do whatever they want. I also don't believe in vax or anything. Anyone know anyone laid back enough for that? I'd still be interested in Pat or someone affiliated with her for a homebirth but I'd have to fork up the $3500.

With the UC, my biggest concern is getting in trouble if something goes wrong and also I live around 20-30 mins from a hospital right now. Last time I had planned a UC I was 2 mins away. That was way more comforting.

What do you guys know or think? I don't have anyone to watch my kids if I go to the hospital either. We have no friends here. MAYBE my hubby's boss and his wife might do it, but I don't know.

Also dislike pitocin or any of those drugs. I want nothing to do with those. I think mountain midwive's (Pat and affiliated) do herbal things. Is that true?

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#7 of 12 Old 10-08-2010, 10:37 PM

I already posted in your other thread, but just adding a few other things in response to some other questions. The topic of vaxes really didn't come up at Elizabeth Seton. I was asked once if I wanted a flu shot, and asked later if I was interested in Gardasil. I said no to both, and that was that. I was never asked once about vaxes for baby -- I signed a paper declining Hep B at the hospital and I was never bugged about it. For the most part, everyone was pretty laid back. I went ahead and did the GBS swab and GD test because I figured I was going to make enough of a stink about birth that I wasn't going to obsess over those two, but I'm having a hard time imagining them being so upset over it that they'd deny care.

I put in my birth plan that I didn't want to be given pitocin and it was never mentioned.

.:*~*:.Sarah.:*~*:.
Married to my best friend SAHM to ds1(1/04) and ds2 (5/10)
#8 of 12 Old 10-28-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
I had contacted Pat and was going to go see her as my midwife but wasn't so sure about her. I've been thinking of UCing (unassisted childbirth) but then I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if you can opt out of things like vaginal exams, different tests and stuff. Or will they be upset and deny care? Does MA cover any of these midwives? I still don't have MA but think I'll apply for it and hope that I qualify. I can't stand OB's but if I get a midwife I'd want someone willing to listen to my desires for things, not someone who's going to take over and do whatever they want. I also don't believe in vax or anything. Anyone know anyone laid back enough for that? I'd still be interested in Pat or someone affiliated with her for a homebirth but I'd have to fork up the $3500.
You can opt out of every and anything. They will probably try to talk you into doing it but it's your right not to have them touch you.

With the UC, my biggest concern is getting in trouble if something goes wrong and also I live around 20-30 mins from a hospital right now. Last time I had planned a UC I was 2 mins away. That was way more comforting. I'm having my 3rd UC in January and honestly I wouldn't UC if you can't get to the hosptial with in 20/30 minutes ( remember it takes 20 minutes to prep for an emergency c-section). We are about 5 mintes from our hosptial and I'm fine with that. With my son we were 35 minutes doing 60MPH ( lol breaking the Michigan speed limit) and I was fine with that. As long as you feel ok, calling ahead and telling them to prep for you and what they need to do.

What do you guys know or think? I don't have anyone to watch my kids if I go to the hospital either. We have no friends here. MAYBE my hubby's boss and his wife might do it, but I don't know.

Also dislike pitocin or any of those drugs. I want nothing to do with those. I think mountain midwive's (Pat and affiliated) do herbal things. Is that true?
I'm pretty sure Pat does herbs but you can easily find them online (www.inhishands.com is my favorite place to get UC/HB supplies) or you can make them. I'm making my own this weekend!

Free Birthing, Non-Vaxxing, Non Circ'ing, Baby wearing, Bed-sharing, Breastfeeding Momma of 2 toddlers and pregnant with our 3rd UC baby. Student Doula and Future Midwife
#9 of 12 Old 10-29-2010, 06:26 PM

Thanks for your reply ecomomma. I'm still thinking about getting prenatal care and have decided to go on with planning a UC. I can get to the hospital within 20-30 mins. Speed limit on the highway is 75 but we can go 80 without too much trouble and the roads should be nice and clear by May.
If I get prenatal care I'm gonna have to get medicaid though. Just can't afford anything right now. Oh well. I'll discuss with hubby and see what he thinks. He'd probably be happier if I got prenatal care this time though. I will totally opt out on anything I don't want. Thanks for the info. I've already gotten enough pregnancy and birth harassment to last a lifetime.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

#10 of 12 Old 10-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post
Thanks for your reply ecomomma. I'm still thinking about getting prenatal care and have decided to go on with planning a UC. I can get to the hospital within 20-30 mins. Speed limit on the highway is 75 but we can go 80 without too much trouble and the roads should be nice and clear by May.
If I get prenatal care I'm gonna have to get medicaid though. Just can't afford anything right now. Oh well. I'll discuss with hubby and see what he thinks. He'd probably be happier if I got prenatal care this time though. I will totally opt out on anything I don't want. Thanks for the info. I've already gotten enough pregnancy and birth harassment to last a lifetime.
If you want we can meet at the Zoo next time we are in Billings and our Hubbies can talk. My hubs is super supportive of UP so you never know what tid-bit he may drop in your hubby's ear. =) Plus it would be awesome to meet another UC momma around here!
I got medicaid for this pregnancy, simply b/c I could. you never know what could go wrong and it's nice to not worry about how we are going to pay for an emergency.

Free Birthing, Non-Vaxxing, Non Circ'ing, Baby wearing, Bed-sharing, Breastfeeding Momma of 2 toddlers and pregnant with our 3rd UC baby. Student Doula and Future Midwife
#11 of 12 Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi!  I just connected with this thread.  Just curious how everything's going with your pregnancy.  My sister signed up with Pat Schwaiger for a homebirth and ended having the baby in the hospital.  She might be a good person to talk to.  Let me know if you'd like to contact her.  I had homebirths with my two kids and I've attended a few hospital births, including my sister's.  I must say, I was actually quite impressed with the care at St. Vincents, and their new birthing suites.  I would reccomend applying for medicaid, if you haven't already; just in case you might need it.  I had medicaid with both my pregnancies, but thankfully never had to use it.  I really think you should talk to my sister.  Let me know, and Happy New Year.  (Hopefully I'm understanding it right that your baby is coming this May, 2011?)

#12 of 12 Old 05-14-2013, 09:15 PM

This is a very late post, in response to the other info that is being shown here.  I am Pat Schwaiger, RN, CPM, and Licensed Midwife.  It is true that I left Billings ... VERY BRIEFLY ... and returned in January of 2011.  My wonderful apprentice, Katrina, does indeed have her own midwifery practice now, having recently become licensed herself.  We practice independantly of each other, now that she has completed her training.  I resumed my practice ("Mountain Midwives"), and have opened a prenatal clinic on the west side of Billings.  I attend home births in southeastern Montana, as well as north central Wyoming. I continue to train apprentice midwives, and I also serve as Chairperson for the Wyoming State Board of Midwifery.  I can be reached at 406-665-7144.  Please check my website for the more detailed information: www.mountainmidwives.com  I felt that I needed to clarify my current status, since there is so much incomplete / incorrect info in the previous postings on this thread.  ~Pat

1love4ever and oceanmother like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page