Johnson County, WY Health Center - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone given birth at the Johnson County Health Center in Buffalo? I gave birth last time in Sheridan, and it wasn't horrible, although I think I probably scared the poor nurse into never doing L&D again (twins that came before the doc got there...hahaha!! It was awesome!), but I'm due in December, and with Wyoming weather, DH and I don't feel comfortable planning up there, b/c of the roads. We had planned on a homebirth, but that's not able to happen, nor is a UC, to circumstances beyond our control. So, we're down to delivering at JCHC, and, OH MY WORD... I saw some things on the site that just worry my. (Like... "offering C-Sections is something we enjoy doing..." What's up with THAT???) Plus, the nurse anesthesitist and the radiology tech both go to a church we left very, very recently, on quite bad terms, and the last thing I need is drama during birth, especially if something weird does come up (which I'm not expecting it to, but still...) (No, I wouldn't be able to ask for another, it's a TINY "hospital.")

So, anyway, I guess I'm venting a little, but my question is has anyone given birth there, and how much of a fight did you have, or did they pretty much just walk all over you? (Or try to, anyway.) We've decided we'll consent to a hep lock, but not an IV, I don't want any internals unless I ask for them (pregnancy or during labor), and I'd like to at least drink liquids. Ice chips suck, and they're not in compliance with even ACOG guidelines, so I'd have that on my side at least. I would eat if I felt like it before I left, we literally live less than a mile away, so I plan on just putting off going as long as I can, anyway. I also don't want constant monitoring. That's just a real pain in the butt. I'd much rather them use a fetoscope, or, at the least, a doppler.

Any advice??

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

#2 of 3 Old 10-16-2010, 01:51 AM

Ha, I had wondered how your twin birth in Sheridan had gone, that's awesome that the doctor didn't arrive in time! I bet that's a story the nurse will remember for a long, long time!

I don't know anything about the hospital there in Buffalo - it sounds like you've got a pretty sound plan in place if you end up having to use them; waiting at home as long as possible should certainly reduce the chance that you get bugged too much with invasive stuff when you arrive at the hospital. I would hope, anyway!

If you get a chance, let me know how it goes - a friend who's had very quick labors just moved to the Kaycee area, and unless she goes with a UC, she'll be delivering in Casper or Johnson County (and I've heard awful things about Casper).

Good luck!

Not all who wander are lost.
#3 of 3 Old 10-24-2010, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I've heard bad things about Casper, too. :P Not planning on going ANYWHERE near there until after this baby's born!!

Well, I've had 2 appts at JCHC now. A friend warned me off about one doctor, so I'm seeing the only other one that seems to deal with OB (he's an FP, but still delivers. There are no OBs in Johnson County). He's OK with most of my requests, and up front about what he can't do. (Like he needs 15 minutes of inermittent EFM an hour, b/c of his malpractice insurance. I'd prefer a doppler, but... whatever. Don't plan on being there that long, anyway. ) We compromised on the IV (getting a hep lock, since I have had a PP bleeding issue, although I don't expect one this time), but the one thing he won't budge on is delaying cord clamping. :P DH and I decided that's not a hill to die on... this time. I also told him we'll be declining eye drops/Vit K/Hep B, and he seemed OK with that. Don't think he realizes yet that we have our own pedi (we use Dr. Wohl in Sheridan, and LOVE him) and that he won't be treating the baby once we leave, but that's OK. We'll listen to his little lecture and be done with it.

I did tell him I didn't want to see the nurse anesthesist, at all. I didn't want to know if she's in the hospital, seriously. I told him I wouldn't be able to relax, and I really felt my labor would stall if I had to deal at all with her. He was VERY understanding, and said if push comes to shove, we'd call the other anesthesiologist to come in, if I needed it, and I wouldn't have to see her. VERY cool.

OTOH, I do think he's kind of placating me for the time being, and that when I get into labor, things could be REALLY different. Still, the nurse who gave me my tour said that he's usually REALLY good at listening to his laboring mothers, and since I'm not exactly a new mom, we'll be OK.

Funny thing about the twins' birth: I put my oldest daughter in American Heritage Girls this year. She had an overnighter at the church they meet at, and when I picked her up, one of the other leaders and I realized that she was the nurse who was at the twins' birth!! She says she remembers and tells that birth story quite a bit, too. She's a real sweetheart, apparently I didn't scare her too badly from L&D. hehehe I did reassure her, though, that we'll be having this one in Buffalo... she said that's probably good, she didn't think I'd make it to Sheridan this time! LOL

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page