Sidney, MT: Seeking open-minded, open-hearted natural mamas, doulas, midwives, birth advocates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 94 Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, My name is Cynthia, and I'm looking for local attachment parenting mamas, advocates and activists for gentle birth, doulas, and midwives to connect with and befriend in Sidney, Montana (it's NE Montana on the North Dakota border). Anybody out there?

I'd like to meet you and receive encouragement that I'm not alone as a progressive, gentle, spirited, loving, educated, subversive mama (and doula) who is conscientiously raising our daughter and who wants our second baby's birth to be as ecstatic and peaceful as our first's! (I'm not even pregnant again yet, but I've begun searching the landscape out here for local, homebirth midwives, or any alternative to the high-intervention local hospital that has only three male OB's, and it's not pretty!).

So if you have any ideas, resources, or ways to connect, I'd love to hear them. Even if you live far from Montana but know of birth advocacy groups or midwife support groups I could join in one way or another, I'd appreciate that too.

My family (my husband, myself, and our delightfully spirited 22 month old daughter) recently moved here from beautiful, progressive Bozeman, MT for my husband's job. I confess that although we are making some connections in Sidney and trying to make the best of it here, I can get lonely and feel isolated in this small, conservative, friendly prairie town, 400 miles away from our welcoming church, midwife, doula friends, etc. who are back in Bozeman, and even further away from my family in the Seattle area. With the cold temps., lingering snow, gray sky, and the fact that my two new friends have to stay away to take care of their sick kids, I got really lonely today.

It was a triumph for me to finally get certified as the first DONA-certified postpartum doula in Montana earlier this spring and to begin working part-time with our wonderful midwife and her clients in Bozeman. It was a joy to companion new parents as they welcomed, nurtured, and got to know their new babies. And then we moved. Once we get settled and I get my equilibrium back, and I find part-time child care for a few hours a week, I'd like to get out there as a doula again and introduce this town to a new model of loving postpartum support.

Very few people here have any idea what a postpartum doula is (or even a birth doula), and it seems to be unquestioned that birth will be done in the hospital as it's always been done. I'd love to learn about an alternative birth and parenting community here, and what your resources are.

Although I've been a Mothering magazine subscriber for almost five years, I finally decided it's time for me to reach out online because I need some support. Thanks and blessings, and I hope I get this posted in the right way (since it's my first time) so I can hear back from you.

#2 of 94 Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

I'm in Miles City, MT, about 110 miles away.  I know one other person here who shares my beliefs about natural/organic living, natural parenting, etc.  It is so hard to find anyone with our beliefs around here because everyone is so set in their ways and beliefs.  I dont know a single person who has ever used a cloth diaper besides my mom!  Our kind are few and far between around this area I am afraid.

#3 of 94 Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Hello!  We were considering moving to Glendive for the summer but I had such difficulty trying to find a midwife to homebirth my first child in that area that I got scared and decided to go to the Bozeman area instead!  I do hope you guys enjoy Sidney though; you'll have to keep us updated on how things are out that way.  :)

#4 of 94 Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 PM

I live in Baker, MT which is about 120 miles south of Sidney. I have an extremely hard time finding anyone in Baker that I can speak openly with about the various topics you mentioned. People in this town think I'm "rather odd", but they just nod their heads and smile thinking (yep she went to college in Missoula : )

I might have some resources for you. However, I ended up having an unassisted homebirth due to lack of options in the area. I would love to have more birthing options in this area.

I think it would be fun to meet you sometime. In the spring/summertime I think it would be great to get mamas from Miles City, Sidney, Glendive, Baker and try to meet in a central location. I know there are several ladies from Eastern Montana around here somewhere.

It's time we shake up Eastern Montana lol.gif

#5 of 94 Old 02-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Hi! My name is Laura. I'm from Missoula but now live in Dickinson, ND.. yuck! i am expecting my second child June 11th. I too am certified through DONA as a birth Doula. I have been racking my brain as what to do! There are two OB docs here who are very anit homebirth! I've been looking for a midwive for months and have come up with nothing.... if you ladies know of anyone in our area who travels for homebirths, please get in touch with me! I really dont want to birth at the hospital! Thanks so much!

Laura

lauralroy@gmail.com

#6 of 94 Old 02-02-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, it's Cynthia in Sidney, MT writing again. I realize that I posted my long message in early December and then forgot to check back after a few days. So I thought I'd check back today (February 2), and I'm thrilled to see that a few courageous, sweet souls responded! Thank you.

Yes, I agree it is time to shake up eastern Montana! Especially as this cold, snowy winter drags on and on, and I'm working on not being depressed being here (esp. after returning from a holiday trip to visit my family in Seattle). Thankfully, I've found a counselor as well as a close friend in Sidney who have been lifelines for me. My husband is a great support too.

As far as I know from our midwife in Bozeman, she doesn't know of any midwives in North Dakota or in eastern Montana. I've heard that there is a certified nurse midwife who works at the hospital in Williston, ND, but I have no idea what she is like, and that is a hospital. I don't ever want to give birth in a hospital either (and my first birth was quick and we barely made it to the birth center that was five minutes away in Bozeman, so I don't know how I'd do a 45+ minute drive and have no desire to).  I realize I'd love to know of any local area midwives or those who are willing to travel. I'm not pregnant yet, but thinking about that for later this year, and that lack of midwifery and doula care is something that worries me. I know in the center of my being that I want a homebirth. So blessings for finding somebody to offer wonderful, affirming prenatal care for a homebirth, and please let me know if anyone magically appears.

Getting together in the summer sounds like fun.

I've got to get going because my 2 year is needing me. I promise I'll check back more frequently so we can stay in touch.

#7 of 94 Old 02-02-2011, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

For Laura who's looking for homebirth midwives in ND, I just discovered information about three ND midwives as well as a North Dakota Birth Action network posted by a well-informed mama in the "The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread!" (another discussion topic in the section of Finding Your Tribe/Tribal Areas/ North/South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming). I'm excited to read about great resources like that and women in the know. I wonder if any midwives are willing to travel to northeastern Montana, or if any midwives or doulas are hiding in my neck of the woods in Sidney, MT. Blessings.

#8 of 94 Old 02-07-2011, 07:35 PM

There's Ollie Hamilton in Great Falls who travels.  And I'm in South Dakota, about 300 miles away, and have the same struggles as you all.  Such a fun area to live in, eh? irked.gif

#9 of 94 Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM

I am a massage therapist in NE Montana.  I will be taking classes to become a doula certified in birth support this summer.  Starting in September i will be starting my midwifery classes to offer this support to eastern MT.  20 years ago i gave birth to my 2nd child at home.  I have been and advocate of home birth ever since.  4.5 years ago I was to help support a friend with the birth of her child. she progressed so quickly we were not able to transport and I caught a beautiful baby girl.  I need to attend 3 births at the completion of my doula training to become certified. I have done pregnancy massage and had some training in infant massage.  I am willing to train parents how to massage their babies. 

#10 of 94 Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM

Hi I am Eudine.  I currently live in Glendive MT.  I work as a License Massage Therapist, I have 27 year experience behind me.  I have work on several pregnant ladies over the years.  This summer I am adding to my repertoire doula training then on to midwifery training.  I gave birth to my oldest daughter almost 20 years ago and I am sold on the benefits of home birth.  I am looking forward to this forum  where we can exchange ideas and encourage each other in supporting natural birth.  4.5 years ago while being a support person for a friend I was privileged to catch her baby which came too quickly to transport.  It was a very rewarding and highlight in my life.

#11 of 94 Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 AM

Hey its me in Miles City, I am pregnant!  Anyone know of midwives who travel here?

#12 of 94 Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Eudine in Glendive, I'm thrilled to hear that you are embarking on birth doula and midwifery care/training in our neck of the woods! You're sorely needed, and it gives me great hope for a future homebirth I'd like to have in Sidney! I'd like to keep in touch. And to the new mama-to-be in Miles City, congratulations!

Hoping that this relentless winter will end sooner than later. Spring has to come at some point, right?! I'm taking a gardening class to try to figure out how to plant vegetables in this eastern MT soil.

Blessings,

Cynthia in Sidney

#13 of 94 Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 AM

Ilove4ever, I know that there is a midwife that practices out of Great Falls will be willing to do home births in eastern Montana. She has come to Circle to deliver babies in the past.  Congratulation on you pregnancy. I am open to being a doula for you if you are interested in this service.  I will have completed my training in August. 

many blessings to you and safety,

Eudine Stevens LMT

#14 of 94 Old 03-30-2011, 09:11 AM

Spearfish SD has a birthing center. According to the website the midwife delivers in SD, MT, and WY.  There office hours are T-Th 10am -5 pm.

#15 of 94 Old 03-30-2011, 09:28 AM

Oh my goodness, I am so excited to see this thread!!! My good friend and I live in Williston, ND, and just came back from Birth Doula certification. (We had to travel all the way to Minneapolis to find a class!)

It's great to know there are women out there who are looking to break from the "norm" a bit! Cynthia and Laura, we definitely need to talk!

I am a NW Washington native living in Williston, ND, where I have been since 2005. My hubby and I have six children (his, hers, ours), are foster parents, and run two businesses from home, including www.cyberdoulas.com -- the birth doula business that is changing my life!

#16 of 94 Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Hey everyone just wanted to say that Ollie Hamilton does travel around for births, but she is busy around my due date (Nov 2), and the SD midwifery service (Womankind Midwifery) does not have a MT license so they do not travel here, and she basically said she does not travel at all.  Pat in Billings is retiring, and Katrina (First Breath Birth in Billings) does not travel, but has a birthing suite available for anyone who wants to travel to Billings(you can go there on or even before your due date so you arnt traveling while you are in labor, and can stay a day or 2 after the birth).  As for the SD midwifery, they also have a birthing center they offer, but you must be in labor when you travel there, and you must be out 4 hours after the birth, which I did not like(just don't think I would be ready to travel 200 miles 4 hours after birth with a 2yr old and a newborn!!) and therefore I will not be going there. 

For a home birth, Ollie would be your best bet but she travels a lot so she is not always available.

Also, Dr Gallo in Miles City is supposed to be pretty good about natural childbirth, but of course that would be in a hospital.

SO, this is the info I have come up with so far!    Hope this

Hope this helps!

#17 of 94 Old 04-18-2011, 08:08 PM

Glad to see that  1love4ever has been finding out possible resources. I am looking forward to my classes coming up this summer.  Between now and then I have several home projects to complete so I can focus on my training.  I would love to get together with some of the doula trained pros before and during my training.  I need to support of others that have paved the way.

BriasMommy likes this.
#18 of 94 Old 04-22-2011, 10:32 PM

There are not many mothers in our area that desire natural childbirth much less home birth.My name is MIssy, I live at Wibaux, MT (between Baker & Sidney). To make a long story short..

My first baby was c-section. I very much desired a VBAC with baby 2. Ultimately after beginning pre-natal care with an OB. I made the switch to a mid-wife at 28 weeks. Thus beginning the frequent 250 miles trek to Billings. I saw Pat, Katrina, and Janell at Mountain Midwives. Last July our daughter was born at their "office" (house) in Billings. They have since moved to the heights area of Billings. They were great, and everything went well. 

I have some of the same interests regarding mothering. Interesting how I stumbled upon this feed. I can't even remember what I was looking up. LOL.

#19 of 94 Old 04-26-2011, 04:41 PM

Hello Montana and ND Mothers and birth advocates (aka:birth junkies).  This is Jeanne from WomanKind in Spearfish.  I received word 2 weeks ago that a law was changed that will allow a CNM home birth practice in ND.  I am considering a satellite clinic in Bowman, ND if that would be of benefit to any of you who are looking for an option.  I am wondering if there is support for this or if your group would be interested in establishing it's own "birth home"?  Please email me offline at jeanne@womankindmidwifery.com .  I am wanting to make sure this is something that is needed before I start down this path as the licensure process is time consuming as well as an additional expense.  I did keep a Montana license for quite a while but the demand just didn't seem enough.   I don't imagine  that I would do this before August as I am awaiting my second midwife addition to this practice.  She needs to be in place before I take this on.  I can see doing a clinic day every other week in Bowman if there is a demand for this.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Jeanne Prentice, CNM

www.womankindmidwifery.com

#20 of 94 Old 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM

Heart2Hands -- and anyone else interested in discussing this in our area -- feel free to contact me at crysta at cyberdoulas.com ! I'd love to chat about your plans!

I am a NW Washington native living in Williston, ND, where I have been since 2005. My hubby and I have six children (his, hers, ours), are foster parents, and run two businesses from home, including www.cyberdoulas.com -- the birth doula business that is changing my life!

#21 of 94 Old 05-02-2011, 10:48 PM

Hey everyone, I just got a call from Pat Schwaiger (CPM) in Billings and she informed me that she will be reopening her practice!  She travels, and I know for a fact that she will travel as far as Glendive.  She accepts clients on an individual basis so you have to talk to her.  Good luck everyone!!

BriasMommy likes this.
#22 of 94 Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM

That is great news! Very exciting for women in this area! Thanks for sharing it!

#23 of 94 Old 05-04-2011, 08:20 PM

Thanks for sharing such great info! We live near ******* and have been putting off TTC #2 because I refuse to gived birth in a hospital around here. Maybe there are other options after all!

Jules

Mama to one delicious little boy (6/09) kid.gif familybed1.gif  and babygirl.gifbabygirl.gifbabyboy.gif triplets (6/12)

Married for 6 yrs and counting partners.gif

selectivevax.gif hang.gif cd.gif delayedvax.gif

#24 of 94 Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Hello!  This is Pat Schwaiger, RN, CPM, Licensed Midwife, and indeed, I am back in business.  I do homebirths.  Too young to retire, too old to think a midwife could EVER retire!  With my student, Katrina, now operating her own clinic in Billings, I have decided to venture out and serve those families in the remote areas of eastern Montana.  I'll still catch babies in Billings, but now I'm going to specialize in these long-distance deliveries.  (In 29 years, I've only arrived late at three births - I drive fast.) The other big news is that Wyoming has finally legalized midwifery.  They even made me chairperson of their new State Licensing Board of Midwifery.  I'm calling it "poetic justice", because way back in 1991 Wyoming placed an injunction against me for practicing medicine without a license, and now they've made me Chairman of the Board.  God is good.

So ... if you live in northern Wyoming or eastern Montana, give me a call:  406-665-7144, or visit my website:  www.mountainmidwives.com

Blessings to all of you for your determination to do mothering your own way.  ~Pat

MommyKlein likes this.
#25 of 94 Old 05-06-2011, 07:59 AM

PS:  Thanks, Brenna.

#26 of 94 Old 05-06-2011, 08:32 AM

Awesome news Pat!!! 

#27 of 94 Old 05-06-2011, 08:33 AM

Oh, this is Missy Tvedt

#28 of 94 Old 05-15-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Wow--ladies, thanks for writing and keeping this thread hopping with such great connections and information. I'm thrilled to hear about the doulas, midwives, and those in training who are living nearby and/or willing to travel to eastern MT. This is wonderful news to hear that midwives are willing to travel to eastern MT for home births!

This is Cynthia in Sidney again, who originally started this discussion thread out of a personal and professional desire for natural birth connections; I haven't checked this discussion in a month and a half because life just keeps on happening, esp. with our spirited two year old Katharine who keeps us quite busy.

Pat, I will definitely be writing down your contact information to stay in touch. How about traveling to Sidney for home birth? Where will you provide prenatal care, or will you travel partway for that? We're ready to start trying to conceive again, and hearing about more options makes me feel more hopeful, safer, and not quite so alarmed about the scarcity of midwives. It's like I can relax and focus on inviting a new life in, instead of getting ready for a natural birth fight with the OB's around here (or trying to do it myself). Eudine in Glendive, what is your contact information?

I just finished Ina May Gaskin's newest book, Birth Matters, and I've been ordering more inspiring and kick ass birthing books, hoping that I can deepen my understanding, stay strong, live into my instinct that I need to birth my second child at home (or at least a loving birth center nearby), and be empowered to experience pregnancy and birth the way I did it with Katharine with the help of our wonderful CPM midwife in Bozeman.

Happy Spring to you all, and thanks for making my evening so lovely with your responses.

Blessings,

Cynthia

#29 of 94 Old 05-16-2011, 07:06 PM

Cynthia,

Sidney is over four hours away from me.  Please try to conceive so that this will be a summer-time baby!  Threre are never any guarantees that a midwife will arrive at your house before the baby does, but four hours is more challenging than most.  In a situation such as yours, there would be several things to consider: 

1. Being mentally prepared to deliver in the hospital in the event that labor lasts less than four hours.  (I do not advocate unattended birth at home).

2. Likewise thinking about getting your prenatal care there in Sidney, with me seeing you maybe three times during your pregnancy.

3. Contacting Ollie Hamilton, CPM from Great Falls, who is sometimes willing to come to your house a week or so in advance.  She stays in her RV parked near your place.

4. Waiting until I can get someone in your area trained and licensed.  I am aware of a couple of ladies in your neck of the woods who are interested in apprenticing.

As for where we would meet for prenatals, I am willing to to do three prenatal housecalls.  I charge 50 cents per mile of travel outside of Yellowstone County.  If you wanted complete prenatal care for me, you would need to come to Billings for that, which can get to be a pretty uncomfortable trip late in pregnancy.

I'm sure willing to do my best for you.  Please know that there's always a chance that I might be committed to another family, due at the same time, and in those cases, we pray ... a lot ... that two moms don't go into labor at the same time!  Like I said, there are no guarantees.  The key is to THINK and PLAN, and stay sensible in all of it.  Home birth should be a blessing, not a burden.

Good luck to you!  ~Pat

#30 of 94 Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Pat,

Thanks so much for your detailed, honest, and compassionate reply. There is quite a lot of distance between where we live, and it would be quite a commitment and a dance to try to work together, as well as much driving and expense! That could get taxing and stressful. I will keep you posted. I'm still thrilled to know that you are a great possibility for other women, and maybe for myself if I didn't find options closer to me.

I have heard from Crysta (a birth doula in training in Williston, ND, 45 miles from Sidney, who has also written on this discussion thread) that she knows of a few midwives who may be working in or near Sidney (or who are at least much closer to me across the ND border). I am very curious and excited to talk to her too about this, as well as to see if we can network as local doulas out here (I'm now a certified postpartum doula and also helped at births many years ago).

Thanks and blessings,

Cynthia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page