UC Mommas In Montana - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I need help with the process of getting birth certificate information for unassisted homebirth in the state of Montana. I'm not due for another 11 weeks, but I want to cover my bases. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2011, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was just about to post this same question. I am Deer Lodge and planning a UC due any day now. Curious about the hassle. I know MT is good about home birth with a midwife but never had a UC before.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxann View Post

I was just about to post this same question. I am Deer Lodge and planning a UC due any day now. Curious about the hassle. I know MT is good about home birth with a midwife but never had a UC before.

I would be having a midwife, but Medicaid won't cover a homebirth, and no midwives here will take payments. The ONE midwife that would have worked with me on payments would be away on vacation in November. Anyway, I hope you get your answer, and when you do, please PM me, so I can get the lowdown and not be hassled.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You have 30 days to get the paperwork filed or it becomes a whole 'nother ball of wax.

You have to have proof of pregnancy. ---------- The rules say that a prenatal record, a statement from a physician or other health care provider qualified to determine pregnancy, a report of a home visit by a public health nurse or other health care provider that indicates the mother was pregnant at the time of the visit or other evidence acceptable by the department  ----------- 

Evidence that the infant was born alive -------  statement from physician or other health care provider who saw or examined the infant, an observation of the infant during a home visit by a public health nurse or other evidence acceptable to the dept. --------- I think it also says they'll take PKU test results if done within 1 week, not sure of the timeline on that.

Evidence of the mother's presence in Montana on the date of the birth  If the birth occurred in the mother's residence  --- ----  drivers license or state ID card, a rent or mortgage receipt dated near the date of birth that includes mother's name and address or any type of utility/phone bill dated near time of birth that includes the mothers name and address.

Those are the official rules, you have to have one of each category. If you're getting prenatal care, that's one item taken care of. I did my own prenatal care, had a UC and didn't get to take the baby in for two weeks because of all the flooding we had. We couldn't get out, I guess it was a good thing we were planning a UC anyway!:D

I took in a 'prenatal record' that I had been keeping, a utility bill and tried that. The local registrar took it and sent it in. The state returned it. They wanted official stuff from a doctor or midwife. The the proof of live birth exam stuff had to be within 2 days. Since we couldn't do that, they said we had to get a letter from my husband's boss stating that yes, I was pregnant (I don't work). We also had to have a friend who was here at the birth sign a birth affadavit and get it notarized. I also had to give them a copy of my drivers license.

Misc info -  The father can be the 'certifier' on the paperwork. So can a grandmother when you're filling out the paperwork for the third time at the courthouse. :)

DO NOT write dates as 6-09-11!!!!!!! It will be refused! Write it out. June 9, 2011

Our was only a little difficult because of the no prenatal and no immediate postpartum visit. Next time I will get a preg test done and keep that documentation for proof of pregnancy. HTH!

Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, SilverSage! :)

User Tag List