looking for mommies in the casper wyoming area! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

my husband just got a job in casper so we will be moving soon (probably in april!). i have an 11 month old girl and i know absolutely no one where we are going. i'm a homebirthing, attachment parenting, stay at home mom and i'm just looking for other mommies :) also any other info about parks or other baby related activities in the area is welcome too :)

#2 of 23 Old 02-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Hi there! I also live in Casper and was glad to see this post, I don't check these boards very often because they aren't very active. I don't consider myself all that crunchy, but I am also into attachment parenting and am planning a homebirth in April. I also have a son who is 18 months old. I am a mostly stay at home mom and work occasionally as a nurse, and am also considering becoming a birth doula. There are a few like-minded mamas around here, but you really have to look hard for it. I can also give you more info about parks and activities for toddlers around here if you're interested. 

#3 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hello back! I'm glad to see a reply :) we are crunchy by accident, my mom was a home birther and has been a doula for 15 years and is studying to become a midwife now. being a stay at home mom makes the attachment parenting thing a lot easier to do but being at home all the time makes it harder to meet other mamas sometimes. yes, any info about toddler activities would be great! my daughter is at the go, go, go, stage so it would be awesome to know where we can get out of the house and meet other people too :) also if you know of any good pediatritians that would be awesome.

#4 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 08:51 PM

I'm not sure where you are moving here from, if its a big city then anything Casper has to offer won't be too impressive, but we have a pretty good parks system that is great for summer activities. There is also a walking trail that goes along the river, we spend a lot of time taking walks along there or to the park when the weather is good. There is also a good rec center, they have an indoor pool that is great for kids, and a special toddler swim time twice a week, as well as an indoor play area which is great for the 8-9 months out of the year when you can't play outside. We also have the Science Zone, which is basically our children's museum, most of the activities are too old for toddlers but they have a special enclosed play area for toddlers, which has been a lifesaver for us. Other than that all I can think of is the library, they have a good kids section and tiny tot storytime once a week, although my son is too rambunctious to sit still through it so we don't go very often. I am still new at meeting other moms, too. I joined MOPS recently which is good but its very Christian-based and pretty conservative so it might be a little off-putting if that's not what you believe. I have to bite my tongue a lot because I always hear talk of things like babywise and cio, etc... Other than that I meet up semi-regularly with a few other local moms I've met on Facebook. There's also the local LLL, I haven't been to any meeting yet but I'm sure that would be a good resource for meeting other like-minded mamas. I don't know a whole lot about the pediatricians here, we use a family practice doctor at the community health center and think he's great, he's very laid back and supportive of whatever we choose, including home birth. Good luck on the move and let me know if you have any more questions.

#5 of 23 Old 02-29-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

we are coming from a town that doesnt even have a gorcery store, we have to drive 45 minutes to get anywhere so casper will probably be pretty exciting for us! thats cool about parks and trails, my daughter is pretty active now, not wanting me to hold her hand and trying to run everywhere! and I had wondered what we would do when it gets too cold to do things outside so thats awesome that there is a rec center...my daughter loooves water! she also likes librarys so maybe we will check out the story time and and the play space at the rec center. Maybe I'll check out LLL too. thanks for the info about the family doctor, we will definitely check that out because as of right now we are delaying vaccinations and would like a doctor that is more relaxed. If I think of anything else I will definitely ask :) 

#6 of 23 Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 AM

LLL would be a great resource, several moms there are also homebirthers and delay or don't vax, so they might be able to give you more info. And speaking of grocery stores, we have a great natural/organic one. Some of their stuff is pretty spendy, like the meat, but the produce is all organic and prices aren't usually too bad for that. I have been getting most of my beef from a CSA 25 miles that delivers here once a month. 

#7 of 23 Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oh awesome, I'll definitely check that out. and thanks for the grocery store tip, I usually try to get my meat and produce organic and then I don't worry about the other things too much :) I had actually gone online to try to look it up before we get up there. I had looked to see if there is a farmers market and was wondering if you know anything about it? it's somehting to do but also sometimes they have good seasonal produce :)

#8 of 23 Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 AM

We do have a farmer's market, due to the climate here it only runs July through September. They sometimes have fresh produce but usually its a lot of things like baked goods, jellies, crafts, etc, and the ranch that I mentioned beings their meat there to sell too.  Last time I was there the one produce stand sold out really fast. I've heard through the grapevine that there are a few farms around here that sell cheap produce in the summer too but I haven't gone and checked them out yet. A lot of people get their produce from Bountiful Baskets, but they sell out really fast. There is also a store here called Herbal Remedies, a lot of farmers deliver eggs there that you can buy fresh as well. I'm not sure but I think the people there might have more connections to local farms, etc. 

#9 of 23 Old 03-14-2012, 08:29 AM

We do have a farmer's market, due to the climate here it only runs July through September. They sometimes have fresh produce but usually its a lot of things like baked goods, jellies, crafts, etc, and the ranch that I mentioned beings their meat there to sell too.  Last time I was there the one produce stand sold out really fast. I've heard through the grapevine that there are a few farms around here that sell cheap produce in the summer too but I haven't gone and checked them out yet. A lot of people get their produce from Bountiful Baskets, but they sell out really fast. There is also a store here called Herbal Remedies, a lot of farmers deliver eggs there that you can buy fresh as well. I'm not sure but I think the people there might have more connections to local farms, etc. 

#10 of 23 Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

oh good to know! I did have another question, my husband hasnt had a lot of luck finding us a place to live just yet and I was wondering if you know of any houses or anyone who knows of houses for rent right now? We need something with at least two bedrooms, a yard, and a garage. Nothing too fancy as we have a tight budget right now. Any tips would be awesome!

#11 of 23 Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Hi am also new to casper, I don't know any one here or any places for family events or parks ect, would like to get to know other mommies so we could possible do play dates. I have a two year old son and a two month old daughter.smile.gif

#12 of 23 Old 12-19-2012, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hello! I don't know if you've already checked it out but the toddler swim time on Thursday morning at the rec center is pretty awesome and there's an indoor play space too but I haven't checked it out. Also there's a play space at the mall too which I go to when we want to get out of the house. Also the la leche league is a great way to meet mamas or there's always MOPs but they really aren't my thing. Message back if you have more questions smile.gif
#13 of 23 Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM

we r hoping to get work in wy and am also a crunchy mom. we do however want to live on acreage and have horses! we have 3 girls and another on the way! how r housing prices out there? i hope to have a moving date soon!

#14 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Hi I just moved to capser from Spokane WA and I am sooo homesick already. I need some good friends and hoping I can meet some here! I have a 4 yr old boy and 1.5 yr old girl. My husband is on an oil rig and I am all alone with the kids all day till about 6 or later. Please Help!

#15 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

I see its been a while for your post but I just moved to casper and I have a 4 yr old boy and a 1.5 yr old girl. My husband is on a oil rig and I am alone all day till 6 or later with the kids. Are you interested in play dates or maybe you have met some girls and I could maybe be a part of your circle of friends. I am so homesick and just need some friends.

#16 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry yeah its been a whioe since I've checked on here but yeah I would be into play dates smile.gif my daughter is almost three now and my husband works nights and sleeps in the day so I know how it can be with just kids for company!
#17 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 03:46 PM

That would be great!!! I have sort of checked out the town but I'm sure you  would know more about this town than I would. I am starting online classes on Monday but they are going to be easy ones. Maybe we could get together for a play date some time soon though and see how our kids and how we get along. I would love to meet some girls to fill my days other than just my babes and school!

#18 of 23 Old 01-03-2014, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah awesome! Sorry I was doing dinner and got sidetracked haha smile.gif my email is revelry17@gmail.com if you want to message me and I check it more often then here and my name is sarah. Hope to talk to you soon!
#19 of 23 Old 01-05-2014, 07:13 AM

Hey I just got on here a few days ago and I saw your post and thought maybe we have some things in common. I have a 4 yr old boy and a 1.5 yr old girl. I just moved here a week ago and am  trying to meet new people. Not sure if you still check this cause it has been awhile since you posted.

#20 of 23 Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 PM

I have a 4 year old boy and 16 month old girl. We've only lived here 2 months and are looking for some friends :)

#21 of 23 Old 01-06-2014, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! We're always looking to meet new people too smile.gif
#22 of 23 Old 01-07-2014, 12:04 PM

Hey Molly. I have a 4 yr old boy and a 18 mth girl. I have been in Casper just over a week and I too am looking for some friends. Would you be interested in maybe meeting up in the near future to see how our kids and how we get along?

#23 of 23 Old 02-20-2014, 01:29 PM

My husband and I just moved to Casper from Washington State last week. He works 10+ hours a day almost every day of the week and I am soooo lonely. I have an almost 7 month old daughter whoes name is Natalie. I hope maybe I can make some mommy friends as I only have one friend here. :(

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page