No-vax Friendly Docs in Sioux Falls? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-03-2012, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are looking to move to Sioux Falls and I'm trying to figure out whether we'll be able to find a doctor for our kids. We don't vax. We had planned on vaxing on a limited basis but I have one child who is very high functioning ASD and another with Celiac so at this point vaccines aren't happening.

Are there any doctors in SF who would take us as patients? I'm shopping for insurance (we're self-employed) and if there is a doctor option I want to be sure they are on the plan we choose.

ETA: One more question (rather than start a new thread). What is the breastfeeding climate there? Around here I can breastfeed anywhere without any sort of harassment (it's rare for a business to not be accomodating and when it happens it makes the news, there's a protest, etc.). I'm pretty modest about it but I don't cover up with a blanket or anything. Am I going to run into problems?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

We have a thread going in the Vaccinations forum for Vaccine Flexible Docs. Check that. thumb.gif

#3 of 6 Old 08-13-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM

We live just outside of Sioux Falls.  I take the kids to Dr. Patricia Peters from Avera McGreevy Clinc.  She hasn't given us any problems about not vaxing and I'm going to her because of a recommendation from another mom who doesn't vax.  She's been good about other things, too, like not retracting an intact boy and being okay with us refusing antibiotics. 

My sister and I have both breastfed in public in Sioux Falls and not had any problems.  I've only really heard of one instance of harassment in Sioux Falls in the last 5 years or so.  There was a dust up about it and I'm not sure if the place finally apologized or not.  Sioux Falls is very mainstream, but also very polite.  I think that most of the reason there isn't much problem with nursing in public is that anyone who might not like it is too polite to make a scene. 

There's a nice cloth diaper store in Sioux Falls that sells nursing bras and baby carriers and such.  It also hosts La Leche meetings.  http://www.elegantmommy.com/

#5 of 6 Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mama! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your response. I was starting to worry there might not be hope for a doc there. Even here where TONS of people don't vax, there's only a couple of docs who *might* see our kids. It's frustrating :(

This info is so helpful. Off to research which insurance companies cover how :)

#6 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

We have a thread going in the Vaccinations forum for Vaccine Flexible Docs. Check that. thumb.gif

can you provide the link?  I looked through those forums and it didn't catch my eye.

Michelle: wife to J, mom to M (2001), E (2003), C (2005), S (2007) and O! (2009) And someone new in 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page