Riverton WY and homeschooling and midwifery in WY? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello WY mamas!

My dh is considering putting in for a job with his current company in Riverton.

Can anyone tell me about the town? Is it a good place to raise children? What are the schools like?

Also, can you tell me about homeschooling and midwifery in WY? 

Thanks so much!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I just thought I'd bump your post up.smile.gif Anyone have information to share this area?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM

I can't tell you much specific about Riverton, haven't lived there but did live in Thermopolis which is about an hour away. It is not Indian Reservation itself but is on the res and surrounded by reservation land. There is also an 'honor farm' there. It's not a pretty place at all. I would not want to raise my kids there, but again, I haven't lived there so take it with a grain of salt.

As for homeschooling, Wyoming is pretty easy. You just have to submit your curriculum covering the 7 core subjects (I don't remember what they are) each year. The state cannot approve or deny your curriculum, it's just records of what you are using. Documentation is only required between the ages of 7 and 16. Look up Homeschoolers of Wyoming (H.O.W.)

For Midwifery, it just became legal in Wyoming a year or two ago I believe. I don't know how many midwives, or where they are. Riverton isn't too far away from Lander and there may be midwives there. It's a much more 'crunchy' type place than Riverton. Riverton is the complete opposite of cruncy.

Hope this helps some and sorry I don't have more specific info.

#4 of 5 Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I am thinking I really do not want to move to Riverton. smile.gif

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-23-2012, 10:06 AM

I don't know anything about Riverton, I've never been there but I know a few doulas and student Midwifes down there. Home schooling is super easy, just inform your local school district that you will be home schooling and give a general list of what you will be teaching. That's it. =) Midwives are legal here but only CNM and CPM, no lay midwives ( we have a few though).  Check out Wyoming For Birth Options on Facebook. =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page