school and vaccinations in South Dakota - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

moivng to South Dakota in a few months (Spearfish).  I have two non-vaxed school aged kids.  We really don't want to change that but are wondering what our options are.  Anyone know what it is like to try to get a medical exemption?  We are thinking that might be our best option right now.  Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Hi :) I do not have any answers for you, but I wanted to bump this up so hopefully someone who does can help!

*~Kelly~*
 Waldorf Mom to 9 blessings ~6 by birth and 3 by fost/adopt~

Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 PM

I don't know about medical exemptions, but I do know about religious ones.  You get the Immunization Certificate form at the county health nurse's office.  The top asks for your name and address and child's birth date, etc. Then it has places for all the vaccines and when they were administered and all that (leave it blank if they haven't had any).  Then at the bottom there's a little sentence that says something like "Vaccines are against my religious beliefs." and a spot to sign and date it.  When the school asks for your vaccine record, you give them the signed form and that's it.  You only have to give it to them once, they have it on file for all the rest of the time the child is at that school.

Personally, I have strong spiritual beliefs about my duty to protect my children's health.  So I don't have a problem truthfully signing that exemption. 

Old 06-03-2013, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123 View Post

Personally, I have strong spiritual beliefs about my duty to protect my children's health.  So I don't have a problem truthfully signing that exemption. 

I like how you put this.  I totally feel the same way.  My kids are happy and healthy and I truly feel the need to protect that.  The school didn't question it or make you show them anything other than the waiver you signed?  I have a 3rd grader and a Kindergartener.  This sounds like it will be the easiest way to go about this.  Thank you so much!!  I was really stressing about all of this.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:12 PM

No, just the waiver.  We're on the eastern side of the state, but it's all state law.  My sister is a bit farther west, but she's had the same experience.  The school mostly wants to have the right paperwork and they're happy. 

My grade schoolers are going into 1st grade and 3rd grade next year.  I haven't had to do anything with exemptions since turning in the kindergarten paperwork with each of them. 

I'm fairly sure it's not legal for them to ask what your religious beliefs are.  The Supreme Court ruled on something about that. 

Ah, I found it:

"On the U.S. Supreme Court level in Frazee v. Illinois Dept. of Security, 489 U.S. 829, 1989, it was found that a state may not deny an exemption simply because a person is not a member of a formal religious organization. In addition, the Supreme Court has noted that nontraditional beliefs, including secular humanism, atheism, and nontheistic faiths, are all "religion" for the purpose of free exercise analysis."

Welcome to South Dakota.  :-)

User Tag List