Looking for midwife in eastern mt or western nd - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm looking for a licensed midwife who will do in home births. I was looking for one for our first child as well but ended up using the hospital instead.... Now I am all the more determined to find one for our second one. :) I 'think' I'm due in June so we still have some time, but I would appreciate any information. We are located in eastern mt.

#2 of 7 Old 10-20-2013, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Welcome! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I recommend joining a due date club so that you can meet other moms due at the same time as you.

And as it looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 7 Old 10-21-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks so much. I'm new at this thing so I'm not sure how it works. :) I just found out today that midwives in nd can't deliver in mt so I'm now looking for just in mt. I'm not actually sure when I'm due.... Long story short I had a little boy about 6 1/2 months ago  and a few weeks back I started felling sick so I took a test and tada... No period no nothing to go off of. I'm guessing June or maybe even the end of May. I don't know. I plan on joining a due date club once I find out for sure tho.

#4 of 7 Old 12-09-2013, 09:21 AM

Location: A state whose Medicaid does not cover circumcision! :)

Justinsgirl I'm sending u a PM

#5 of 7 Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Hi Justinsgirl! Our midwives don't cross the state-line, so it depends where you will be exactly, but we can help out with some referrals. For the fastest access, check Cyber Doulas out on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/CyberDoulas

I am a NW Washington native living in Williston, ND, where I have been since 2005. My hubby and I have six children (his, hers, ours), are foster parents, and run two businesses from home, including www.cyberdoulas.com -- the birth doula business that is changing my life!

#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2013, 03:53 PM

Justin's Girl,

Not sure where in "eastern Montana" that you are, but I'm a licensed Montana midwife in Billings, and I have attended several births in Custer, Miles City, Terry and Glendive.  Even went out to Wibaux last year for a birth.  You can learn about my practice at www.MountainMidwives.com   I do not drive to Sidney or anywhere in northeastern Montana.  It's just too far to be safe.  Presently, I have an apprentice who lives in Colstrip.  When she completes her training, there will be a midwife to serve that part of the state.  There is another aspiring midwife in Wolf Point, who is waiting for her own children to get a little older, before she begins training.  The future of midwifery in your area is very very promising!  For now, I will do the best I can to help out, and I just ask that those of you who live out that way ... please be smart and cautious when planning a home birth.

I have posted this advice here before, and will do it again now:  If you live in eastern Montana, PLEASE do not ask midwives from North Dakota to cross state lines and deliver here illegally.  This has happened numerous times in the past, and puts midwifery as well as the safety of mother and child ... in jeopardy.  A few years ago, a ND midwife came to Miles City to care for a woman who was attempting a VBAC at home.  Labor did not progress, so the midwife took the mom to the hospital, and she herself disappeared.  This was because she KNEW she would be in trouble if authorities learned of her activities in MT.  Apparently, she instructed the mom to tell the hospital staff that the midwife from Billings - me, Pat Schwaiger - was the one who had taken care of her, leaving them to believe that I had abandoned her there at the hospital.  One of the nurses there (whose baby I had delivered at home) knew that this is NOT how I handle transports, so she contacted me to inform me of this lie.  I then had to contact the physician and defend myself, insisting that I was not the coward who did this.  The mother ended up with another C-section, as she attempted to protect her North Dakota midwife.  Do you understand how this becomes dangerous to moms, babies ... AND MIDWIVES?

And if you are a North Dakota midwife, please think twice before crossing that line.  As a sister midwife, I honor your desire to help these moms.  But please, let them come to you, not you to them.  I have noticed several "private message" referrals, as I've followed this thread.  My guess is that the referrals are kept secret, to (once again) protect the illegal, unlicensed midwives who are catching babies in eastern Montana.  This is not good for anybody. 

While I would much rather keep my practice in my own community, my apprentices and I are willing to head east - to any town along the interstate - to accommodate home birth moms in that area.  There is also a licensed midwife from Great Falls, who is sometimes willing to travel to eastern Montana and stay at your home for a week or so before your due date.  Soon there will be a legal and licensed midwives closer to your towns.  Let's uphold the best reputation possible for midwifery as we wait for this to unfold.  Keep those babies safe!  Be careful, ladies!  ~Pat

#7 of 7 Old 04-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Justin's Girl, 

I was wondering how your search for a Midwife in Eastern Montana has come along?  I am due in Sept. and also looking for a reputable MW in this area.  Our Sept. baby will be our second, we had our first baby with a MF in Billings at her birthing center and it was wonderful!  I highly recommend a good MF over the hospital route to any and all healthy mom's to be!!  We are 4hrs away from Billings, and would really like some one closer this go around, curious as to what you have found.  Thank You :)  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page