The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 903 Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone, be sure to check the Tribune's Life page tomorrow for a story about an upcoming film series about locally grown food and sustainable agriculture. It should be on our website tomorrow too; I'll try to remember to post a link.

The first film is at 2:30 p.m. Sunday at the Bismarck library.
#482 of 903 Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 AM

#483 of 903 Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 AM

Thursday, March 20th
Viewing of the movie: The Business of Being Born
You'll never looking at giving birth the same way again.
Executive Producer Ricki Lake and Director Abby Epstein
6:30 pm Tea time
7:10 pm Movie
Discussion to follow

Tea and refreshments provided. If you wish, you can bring something to share.

Email for directions.
#484 of 903 Old 03-26-2008, 06:07 PM

subbing
#485 of 903 Old 04-19-2008, 12:16 AM

Can anybody give me some names of Midwives in Fargo? I've got a friend who's pregnant & I'm trying to convince her to go see one.
#486 of 903 Old 04-19-2008, 02:59 AM

#487 of 903 Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Am replying privately.
#488 of 903 Old 04-19-2008, 04:08 PM

I have a friend whose having a VBAC and is interested in getting a doula. Thanks for providing the second link, Kristin.

Also, Momzilla on here (MDC) lives in Fargo and is a doula. This is her website.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#489 of 903 Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM

Layna, are you looking for hospital midwives or a homebirth midwife? The midwives at Innovis Hospital are fine for being hospital midwives (not to knock them, they just lean heavily toward the medical model of birth, I'm sure partly because they are under the hospital's policies & procedures).

If you're looking for a homebirth midwife, PM me and I can give you contact info for the one I've worked with.

Good luck in convincing your friend!

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#490 of 903 Old 04-25-2008, 04:52 PM

Thanks everybody! She's more intrested in a hospital birth, so thanks for those links!
Myself, I'd like a homebirth next time around. Don't know when yet, but any info now is great.
#491 of 903 Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM

Haven't posted in the ND section for a while. I was just wondering a few things.
1) anyone here going to MSU?
2)anyone here a nurse in Minot?
3) anyone know of any nurse practitioners in or near Minot?
#492 of 903 Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 PM

Anyone in the Bismarck area want to go in on a Frontier co-op? It's easy to get wholesale prices on everything (which is basically half off), plus there are monthly sales, and shipping is free over $250. I'm doing a co-op in the co-ops forum right now, but I think in May I'd like to try to do just a local one so there's no shipping.

The wholesale catalog is here:

https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/w...aleCatalog.pdf

It's an enormous file - I found it best to download it and then read it on my computer. They sell bulk spices, herbs, baking supplies, lotions, soaps, coffee, tea, and other stuff you might find at a natural food store.
#493 of 903 Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Anyone in the Bismarck area want to go in on a Frontier co-op? It's easy to get wholesale prices on everything (which is basically half off), plus there are monthly sales, and shipping is free over $250. I'm doing a co-op in the co-ops forum right now, but I think in May I'd like to try to do just a local one so there's no shipping.

The wholesale catalog is here:

https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/w...aleCatalog.pdf

It's an enormous file - I found it best to download it and then read it on my computer. They sell bulk spices, herbs, baking supplies, lotions, soaps, coffee, tea, and other stuff you might find at a natural food store.
I just did one!
#494 of 903 Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 PM

Oh come on .... by May you need more, right?

Maybe July would work too. I want to time it for when my parents are going to visit, since I think they'll want some stuff too.
#495 of 903 Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Oh come on .... by May you need more, right?

Maybe July would work too. I want to time it for when my parents are going to visit, since I think they'll want some stuff too.
Well, the order that was supposed to come today, all the freaking way from Iowa to Chicago to Billings to Minot got sent back for being damaged in transit. No wonder with all the traveling it did to get here.
#496 of 903 Old 04-30-2008, 12:50 PM

We have a group in Minot that orders Frontier quite often. It generally works out pretty well. We order once every 6 weeks or so.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#497 of 903 Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Hi ladies, I just wanted to let anyone who lives in Fargo/Moorhead know that I run a Frontier co-op as well. I usually do 1-2 orders per month and would welcome new local participants. PM me if you're interested.
#498 of 903 Old 05-02-2008, 12:12 AM

Hey gals,

Figured I should post since I haven't in ages! Oh man, have I been busy! DH got a new job in Minot working as a paramedic, so we are in the process of moving back up to Mohall. I still have my nursing finals, so I've been swamped with trying to pack in between studying and classes. One more week of school to go, then its packing time for sure.

I also had my first birth for my doula training! Woo, what a rush! Client went into labor on Saturday evening, but didn't get admitted until 1 am Tuesday. She had baby girl at 3 pm on Tuesday. Poor gal was exhausted, but overall had a great experience. It was wonderful to be able to see just how much difference laboring in a tub makes. I got a little feather in my cap too....Doc was going to do an episiotomy without telling her and I caught him! I saw him reach for a scalpel & asked "Are you going to cut her?" He said "Well yeah, this baby isn't going to come out if I don't" So I asked my client if she wanted to be cut or if she'd rather tear. She couldn't decide cause she really didn't know the difference (she hadn't looked into that whole part of birth). I suggested she try a few more pushes to see how things went and she agreed. So Doc put his scalpel away (wasn't too happy about it either). After a few pushes, doc pipes up "Well, she is pretty elastic down here." Just a few more pushes, out pops baby....no tearing, no episiotomy. Hah! I was exhausted too, but totally elated I had helped a woman have a much better birth than she would have without my presence and kept a doc from doing something without her consent.

So I will miss all you gals, but hopefully we'll keep in touch!
#499 of 903 Old 05-02-2008, 12:41 AM

Yay! How great! Who was that doctor? Can you PM me? I definitely don't want him around my perineum. Yay for you catching him! Grrr.

Hope things go well moving. We'll miss seeing you down here.

#500 of 903 Old 05-02-2008, 03:26 PM

Ok, after a lot of soul searching and encouragement from family and friends, I've decided to start practicing as a DEM on a limited basis. I have several small kids so won't be able to handle a heavy client load, but am willing and happy to do a few births a year. If anyone is interested in a HB in the Fargo/Moorhead area and surrounding regions (I'm willing to travel, within reason) or knows someone that would be interested, feel free to PM me for a chat. You having the birth you desire is very important to me, so if I'm not a fit I'll be happy to pass out info on the other midwives available.
Jennifer
#501 of 903 Old 05-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Hi Ladies,

Not sure if anyone is interest but I was just a the DBR thrift store and they have a learning tower for $35!!! We paid $160 just last Christmas for ours so this is a phenominal deal. For those of you who have been to my home its the wood tower in the corner of the kitchen everyone asks about .

If anyone was in the market, it's there and in great shape! I work a few blocks from the store so if any out of Bismarck mamas are interested I would be happy to grab it (granted it is still there) and hang on to it until you could pick it up.

OK only time for a quick post now back to the grind! Have a great day!!

LeeAnn
#502 of 903 Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM

jljeppson, congrats on the DEM move! I have been out of the ND loop here for a while. Hello to everyone, esp any new people. I have a few questions for Minot Mamas. We are heading into our mosquito seasons and I know the city has made plans to spray again. The insecticide of choice has been Trumpet EC, a very dangerous chemical...esp if contacting the skin or being inhaled. I have contacted the city manager with questions and concerns and plan to contact each city council member as well. I know we all hate the mosquitoes but the spraying not only is very dangerous to your health but causes flare-backs that increase the mosquito populations after each spray. If any of you can help me research, contact city council members, go to a city council meeting, get a petition going, etc. please let me know.
#503 of 903 Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 AM

Thanks!
#504 of 903 Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM

jhow, I hope you get some good responses from your city council members!

I am not sure what they do here in grand forks. I hadn't even thought to look into it, honestly.
#505 of 903 Old 05-17-2008, 02:22 PM

I just got a reply back from one of the city council members who said he would tell the city manager to include packet of the insecticide info to the other aldermen. I said I would be at the june 2nd city council meeting to discuss alternatives. I guess I'd better get researching some. if any of you have ever heard of better mosquito abatement techniques let me know.
#506 of 903 Old 05-17-2008, 05:23 PM

What are the flare-backs? How does that work?

And does anyone know what Bismarck does? I didn't really pay a lot of attention last year and then they sprayed the soccer field across from where we live, and it smelled nasty, even with the windows closed. I was icked out then. Okay, icked out isn't the right word, but I can't think.

#507 of 903 Old 05-18-2008, 01:46 AM

Flare-backs are when the subsequent pest population you are trying to abate explodes during its next cycle. This happens, from what I remember, in part because you have left the resistant individuals and because you have killed their natural predators and competitors.
I have no idea what Bismark does but you can contact your local government to find out. Possibly the city manager whom you can email via the town's website. A soccer field being sprayed is bad but not as big a worry as an entire town and AFB being doused : Hopefully it will be really windy this year so they can't even attempt it. I think we get so many aerial sprays b/c of the AFB being here, they coordinate with the national guard to do it I think. Hopefully we get good reception from city council--no women on it here.
#508 of 903 Old 05-28-2008, 10:58 PM

Tomorrow the Dakota Zoo in Bismarck is having a free day to promote college savings. Admission is free from 11 am to 7 pm and from 4-6 pm they are having free hotdogs. It's sponsored by the Bismarck Tribune. Here's an info page.

Pookel and I are meeting at front gates at 3 pm. We'd love to see you all!

#509 of 903 Old 06-05-2008, 03:36 PM

Has anybody heard of of a organic farmers market around Fargo/Moorhead?
Somebody told me that the Moorhead center mall has on every once in a while, but I couldn't find anything on it.
#510 of 903 Old 06-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Layna,
Yes, there is -- it's put on by My Sister's Farm. They have a yahoo group that you can join for more info: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MySistersFarm/.

The event at the Moorhead Center Mall is the 4th Thursday of the month from 6:30-8:30 pm.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page