Mothering Forum banner

The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread!

58K views 902 replies 98 participants last post by  monkeyscience 
#1 ·
I want everyone from North Dakota (who visits this site) to post here. Frankly I am sick and tired of there being 10 million bazillion threads asking if there are any other members from our state.
Everyone from North Dakota is here by ordered by...well..
..ME...to post there name, location (city), and ages/gender of their children. If you want to give a little brief description of yourself or whatnot (like say.. what makes you crunchy) thats awesome too! Lets keep this baby rolling if we can to keep it at the top so people don't add new ones and let us lose track of each other again! We need as many North Dakotan, knefla soup eatin', sometimes transplanted newly Dakotans as we can get! Bring It On!!
: I want this to be a place where new comers can go, look up (like a phone book kinda) anyone in the area with likeminded interests and add themselves (by my decree of course!
) Thanks all you other fine ladies!

See less See more
#702 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your responses

If I need to, I don't mind traveling a bit for a good doctor, especially for wellness visits and such. Does anyone know if the folks at Dynamic Healing Center can write scripts of if they do vaccinations? Naturopaths in AZ can write scripts, but only some of them do vaccinations.

I'm looking forward to checking out the Farmer's Market
:. And I wouldn't mind knowing more about stuff in Fargo--wouldn't be that hard (at least part of the year) to make trips down there every month or so. I grew up in rural AZ, so I'm used to driving a bit to get what I need.

#705 ·
Oh, thank you! The gal that's been P's assistant ended up going out of state to help family, so it's just P. DH isn't keen on anyone else coming, so I'm not sure.

I don't know how much another person there helps or what to expect--if that makes sense. I have a friend who homebirthed in Jan and said the assistant was a ton of help--getting stuff. My MIL is coming to watch Elisabeth, but I want E to be there for the birth. (E was sick last weekend and wanted Gma half the time--which gave both DH and I time to rest--she was up crying at night too. I think she's teething--2 yr molars, so every so often she has a fever overnight--altho' she had diarrhea too that time.) But it's like every two weeks or so. I hope she gets done before baby comes--which is two-three weeks.

I'm pretty ready--very excited to have my homebirth!
:

I think some people are a little weirded out by how much I am looking to labour.

So how much getting ready once you start labour is there? I've got my birth kit and some other stuff I've added altogether.

I've got diapers and clothes ready, well, clean, but need to find a home--don't have a designated drawer for the baby--that might help DH!

#706 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I think some people are a little weirded out by how much I am looking to labour.

Lol, it's the same with me, I'm very excited about this whole process this time. My sister sent me Ina May's guide to childbirth and I started reading it. By the time I went to bed, I was so excited. DH doesn't really get it. Hehe.

#707 ·
For you, not so much. Once you start labor, that's your job. Any other getting ready is up to P and your hubby. She'll set up, ask him to get out things like towels, etc but there really isn't as much to do as you would think. I know about the teething pains. My littlest gets diarrhea with her teeth and it leaves her bottom a mess. We use a lot of lanolin on her.

#708 ·
I know I don't have much to do!

I have a bunch of chux pads, how many will I use? I didn't count at the hospital!

Layna, I totally know what you mean. With Elisabeth I read Spiritual Midwifery--which is waaaay more woo-woo/out there/hippie. it was . . . interesting. I love IMGtC

#709 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post

So how much getting ready once you start labour is there? I've got my birth kit and some other stuff I've added altogether.

I've got diapers and clothes ready, well, clean, but need to find a home--don't have a designated drawer for the baby--that might help DH!
I was actually not prepared for how much there was to get ready once I went into labor. I had as much "set up" as possible once I hit 37 weeks, but when you have a 2.5 yr old it's not like you can just leave stuff laying around.

But I had stuff prepared as much as I could, with the thought that once I went into labor I would lay out the towels, set up the supplies, get the tub set up, put some blankets and towels into the dryer to they'd be warm, etc.
However, I had a FAST FAST labor, and none of that stuff ended up getting done.
I was so "in my own world" that I wasn't of any help to anyone.

After my baby was born, I started noticing little things like "why did they use my good towels? Why did they use this dish instead of my designated placenta container?" stuff like that. Then when I watched the video, I realized that no one knew where any of that stuff was, and when they were asking for it, I was not aware enough to "hear" them to answer where it was. For instance, for several minutes my midwife was asking, "Where is the flashlight? where is the flashlight?" and everyone was like, "maybe it's in here, maybe it's there" I was sitting right there and knew it was in the bottom of the birth supply tub, but I apparently was deaf at the time, lol.

Also, none of the stuff I wanted done, like candles lit or blankets in the dryer got done either. Once I was in labor I just couldn't verbalize anything to tell my husband to do all that stuff I had planned in my head that I would have him do when the time came.

My suggestion would be to type out a piece of paper that's a "to do list" of stuff that needs to be set up. Go through it with your hubby and have him do it right away, because you never know how fast things are gonna go once that first contraction hits! (My first contraction was at 9am, my midwife showed up at 10am, at 10:50 I said I was "starting to get uncomfortable and wanted in the tub" so she checked me and I was COMPLETE! Then he was born about 20 minutes later!)
But seriously. Write down every little thing that you think to yourself in your head when you imagine the birth. Even something as small as "locate the camera and set it out" because it sucks to have the baby come out and your husband is all of sudden frantically wondering where the camera is. Or "set the hospital bag next to the door" (in case you end up transferring) or "light the candles and put on my music" EVEN if you *think* you'll be aware enough to ask him to do those things when the time comes.
That was my biggest regret about my birth. I had so much planning into it and then none of it was "used" when the time came. (of course, nothing ever goes "as planned" when it comes to birth, but if you're going to take the time to find the perfect songs and burn a birth CD, it sucks to not get to use it because you didn't write it down!)

Maggi- with the chux pads, I would just buy the package that they are typically sold in. I work at a hospital birth center, and when I restock the rooms after the woman is discharged home, I usually put about one stack (a foot high) in the cupboard. So a package of 20 should be plenty.

#710 ·
Maggi- with the chux pads, I would just buy the package that they are typically sold in. I work at a hospital birth center, and when I restock the rooms after the woman is discharged home, I usually put about one stack (a foot high) in the cupboard. So a package of 20 should be plenty.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Some births are messier than others, but usually we don't got through a whole pack. I did a list for the last one as well, and my husband really appreciated knowing where it was and what all I wanted done especially since we were UC'ing and it was far more important for him to know what all was up with our supplies. Like RM said, once you are in labor land it's very hard to verbalize instructions.

#711 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~ View Post
I was actually not prepared for how much there was to get ready once I went into labor. I had as much "set up" as possible once I hit 37 weeks, but when you have a 2.5 yr old it's not like you can just leave stuff laying around.
Exactly! Yesterday, I did find the tub of newborn clothes that I packed up several months ago.

Quote:

But I had stuff prepared as much as I could, with the thought that once I went into labor I would lay out the towels, set up the supplies, get the tub set up, put some blankets and towels into the dryer to they'd be warm, etc.
However, I had a FAST FAST labor, and none of that stuff ended up getting done.
I was so "in my own world" that I wasn't of any help to anyone.

After my baby was born, I started noticing little things like "why did they use my good towels? Why did they use this dish instead of my designated placenta container?" stuff like that. Then when I watched the video, I realized that no one knew where any of that stuff was, and when they were asking for it, I was not aware enough to "hear" them to answer where it was. For instance, for several minutes my midwife was asking, "Where is the flashlight? where is the flashlight?" and everyone was like, "maybe it's in here, maybe it's there" I was sitting right there and knew it was in the bottom of the birth supply tub, but I apparently was deaf at the time, lol.

Quote:

Also, none of the stuff I wanted done, like candles lit or blankets in the dryer got done either. Once I was in labor I just couldn't verbalize anything to tell my husband to do all that stuff I had planned in my head that I would have him do when the time came.
Yeah, part of it is that I don't even know what I want.

Quote:

My suggestion would be to type out a piece of paper that's a "to do list" of stuff that needs to be set up. Go through it with your hubby and have him do it right away, because you never know how fast things are gonna go once that first contraction hits! (My first contraction was at 9am, my midwife showed up at 10am, at 10:50 I said I was "starting to get uncomfortable and wanted in the tub" so she checked me and I was COMPLETE! Then he was born about 20 minutes later!)
Wow. Yeah. my mom said she was praying for a fast labour, and I was like, "Uh, I don't really want a fast labour and to be so intense I'm like, 'uh, what just happened?' "

Quote:

But seriously. Write down every little thing that you think to yourself in your head when you imagine the birth. Even something as small as "locate the camera and set it out" because it sucks to have the baby come out and your husband is all of sudden frantically wondering where the camera is. Or "set the hospital bag next to the door" (in case you end up transferring) or "light the candles and put on my music" EVEN if you *think* you'll be aware enough to ask him to do those things when the time comes.
Good idea. I have written down things that I liked for support, I should ask in the birth forum, I want something I can hang off of like the birthing bar and relax my entire lower body, of course I will have a birth pool, but bending my legs at the hips hurt--sitting on the birth ball didn't happen with DD, I liked hanging off of poor DH's neck--all my weight, so my arms were the only muscles tensed. I can't figure what to do at home like that and don't want to give him a sore neck.

Quote:
Maggi- with the chux pads, I would just buy the package that they are typically sold in. I work at a hospital birth center, and when I restock the rooms after the woman is discharged home, I usually put about one stack (a foot high) in the cupboard. So a package of 20 should be plenty.
I've got a box that my mom gave me that were leftover from caring for my grandmother. So we have plenty. I was wondering how many to have out of storage in the garage and how many towels. I suppose the chux have the waterproof back so depends on location, etc.

#712 ·
Hello!
Just wanted to let everyone in and around Minot know that there will be a small playgroup meeting this summer.
-Every Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.
-Roosevelt Park at the small play area near the tennis courts/parking lot (I think the play equipment is red there)
Hope to see some new faces!!
PM me if you have questions!

#714 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaprek View Post
Hello!
Just wanted to let everyone in and around Minot know that there will be a small playgroup meeting this summer.
-Every Wednesday at 1:00 p.m.
-Roosevelt Park at the small play area near the tennis courts/parking lot (I think the play equipment is red there)
Hope to see some new faces!!
PM me if you have questions!
I will try to make it as much as possible!!!

#716 ·
Hey ND mommies! I'm a former ND'er stopping by because I talked to a good friend who just found out she was expecting.
: I'm trying to help her find nurturing afordable care as she is not on health insurance over the summer and could use some extra love. I have found a handfull of doulas online and a CPM (Beth Bergeron) in Fargo. (DBF is in Grand Forks) I'm thinking a doula would be best for her - don't think she will be 100% comfortable w/ the idea of homebirth. Does anybody have any suggestions for a good listener that would be great at making sure baby is healthy and happy?

Love and Peace!

#718 ·
Hey M0dernist, finally getting a chance to reply to your post. Red River Valley Doulas is a group in our area and they would be good ones to ask. Also, I usually don't do hospital births (I'm a HB midwife) but do occasionally work as a monitrice. As a monitrice, I do weekly prenatals in the home starting at 36wks and continuing until birth. During the birth, I monitor labor (all the same monitoring I do at a HB) while providing labor support and then continue to the hospital where I stay for l&d and then a few hrs postpartum. I do 5 postpartums; 1 day, 3 days, 1 wk, 3wks, and 6 wks (the 6 wk is usually at my home). I charge $20 per prenatal and postpartum, along with mileage if the mother lives more than 20 miles from my home. I charge $500 for the birth, and take payment plans and am willing to barter. PM me if you'd like some more info.

#721 ·
Can you tell me more about Urban Harvest? Is it worth driving down from Minot? Now that I'm home for the summer I am always looking for things to do! Thanks!

#722 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaprek View Post
Can you tell me more about Urban Harvest? Is it worth driving down from Minot? Now that I'm home for the summer I am always looking for things to do! Thanks!
Well, I think it's awesome!
:

It occupies about 3 rows of booths down about half a block of Fourth Street, plus it goes around the corner a little ways. There is music and other events going on most of the day, and local food vendors. There is not a huge variety of stuff being sold, at least in previous years - tiedye, jewelry, knitted/crocheted/sewed items, art, pottery, baked goods, and a farmer's market section (also pretty awesome). If you run out of Urban Harvest stuff to do, there are a lot of nice downtown shops in that area too - Impact (gifts and stuff, has yarn), Urban Girl a couple blocks away, Tricia's Bakery (dog treats and gifts). And my husband's game store is a few blocks to the west, across from a Dairy Queen.

I think I'd drive to Minot for it, so yeah, it's cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.