The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2007, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I've been away from here for awhile, but I would really like to jump right back in.

I live in Bismarck. I am a sahm & we have 3 children, ages 1, 6, & 9. The older kids go to public school, but I did consider hs'ing, but they really do love PS. My younger dd is really attatched and is still BF & cosleeping. We also quit vaxing & didn't circ. We tried to eat organic for awhile, but $$ is now too tight and we just can't do it. I can't wait for summer when I can get to the farmers market & our garden gets going.

Will post more later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2007, 09:34 PM

Mama Joy, good grief you are a busy one!

Maggie, we just barely arrived in Minot at the AFB yesterday evening. I love the surrounding landscape but could use more trees. I just got some groceries from Market Place off of I 29 and they have a decent selection of organics compared to what I'm used to. Also, at Magic Market there is a supplement store in there where you can get good info about local Weston A Price and Traditional Food meetings as well as a referral to a local farm that sells lots or organic produce, meats and raw dairy. I've yet to meet anyone or learn about the predominant politics yet. I am starting a child birth ed certification course and will then start a master's in midwifery. I don't plan on being too public with these endeavors b/c of the stuff I've heard so far. Anyway, I plan on running and working out on a reg basis so if you are on base we may be able to meet up.

Welcome to all you newcomers and welcome myself to ND.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I get posts from kind of a local organic buying club, that kind of thing. Anyway, there's a farm near Fargo/Moorhead that is having an activity this Sat that some of you guys might be interested in. I'm not going to put their private contact info on here, just PM me for that, but all the rest of the info is there. Might be canceled due to rain, if that's the forecast; I'll keep those interested updated.
Community Education cosponsoring day on organic farm
5/18/2007

Spend a family outing at an organic farm 15 minutes north of Moorhead from 9 a.m.–1 p.m. Saturday, June 9 rain or shine at the Lee and Noreen Thomas Farm.

The day will be out in the fresh air with learning about farm animals as well as rotating sessions that keep families on the move. A sampling of sessions include backyard composting, planting perennials for sun or shady areas as well as how to plant trees to save 20 percent on your energy bills. Take a tour of the farm using GPS/GIS (Global Positioning System/Geographic Information Systems).

Experts, including University of Minnesota master gardeners, poultry experts and hobby entomologists. will be on hand to answer participants’ gardening/lawn questions. There are hands-on activities for children from collecting bugs, to rock painting, to planting a garden.

Lunch includes a tasty blend of local foods grown within 75 miles of the farm prepared by 4H youth who actually grow some of the food.

To register and receive more information please call Moorhead Community Education at (218) 284-3400. You can register with Visa, Mastercard or Discover over the phone or online https://communityed.moorhead.k12.mn.us. This fun-filled day on an organic farm is available for $15 per person or $35 per family. The fee includes slow food lunch.

Cosponsored with Thrivent Financial for Lutheran Brotherhood and Country Choice Organic and University of Minnesota 4H Foundation.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:39 AM

I think I'm probably the only person on Mothering that actually goes back and edits their posts for spelling, grammar, etc. How anal is that?
Anyway, I've been working with a group called NDBirth Action on legislation for midwives in ND. I suggested a questionaire to be sent to all homebirth/homebirth supportive families by email, snail mail, whatever that covers all the main topics to do with homebirth and get the thoughts and feelings of the people of the state so that if/when we are ready to draft legislation we can do it based on what the majority wants and what is best for our families and midwives. The idea got an enthusiastic response from NDBA so now that things have settled down around here, I'm ready to get started on it. I'm bringing it up because I'd like some suggestions on which questions should be covered. I can't think of many other places that I can reach this many ND homebirth families at one shot, so am posting this here in hopes of reaching as many people as possible. I don't want to leave any person or question out. What's the point of getting legislation passed if it doesn't suit the needs of the majority of people? I know I can't please everyone, but the more people I can contact and the more suggestions I get about issues that need to be covered the better shot I have at making people happy.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
I think I'm probably the only person on Mothering that actually goes back and edits their posts for spelling, grammar, etc. How anal is that?
Anyway, I've been working with a group called NDBirth Action on legislation for midwives in ND. I suggested a questionaire to be sent to all homebirth/homebirth supportive families by email, snail mail, whatever that covers all the main topics to do with homebirth and get the thoughts and feelings of the people of the state so that if/when we are ready to draft legislation we can do it based on what the majority wants and what is best for our families and midwives. The idea got an enthusiastic response from NDA so now that things have settled down around here, I'm ready to get started on it. I'm bringing it up because I'd like some suggestions on which questions should be covered. I can't think of many other places that I can reach this many ND homebirth families at one shot, so am posting this here in hopes of reaching as many people as possible. I don't want to leave any person or question out. What's the point of getting legislation passed if it doesn't suit the needs of the majority of people? I know I can't please everyone, but the more people I can contact and the more suggestions I get about issues that need to be covered the better shot I have at making people happy.
Jen,

You know that I am an aspiring midwife and happy mother of a midwife attended birth...and member of NDBA. I'll be more than happy to collab or edit or just generally help with your survery. Please let me know what I can do. No one on NDBA will give me any guidance or suggestions on how I can help. You know I'm in for whatever.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:59 AM

I really appreciate that. It's been frustrating; a lot of people think something should be done, but aren't sure what and then some want to forget that anything has occurred and want to forget everything and go back to status quo which I think is entirely unrealistic. Nobody really seems to know where to go from here, so we're kind of aimless. I've love to set up some brainstorming sessions with a bunch of women in the area, see what we can come up with. While I'm gabbing, I attended my first solo birth on Wed! I've had people to talk to, but no one within the homebirth world (besides DH and it's just not the same as talking to a fellow homebirth mom/aspiring midwife) and I've really needed someone who truly understands what it's like. I wasn't planning on practicing anytime soon, still don't. I've got a lot more training that I would like to have before then, but when this family asked me I couldn't say no. I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to that. That's the one thing that I have to watch as a doula/student midwife is I've had a hard time setting boundaries. Telling someone "This is really early labor and you're not really feeling the contractions yet, so I'm just going to do a check and then head home until you really need me." That type of thing. I've had births where I was there for days and I've had to be very strict with myself to prevent it from happening again.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
I really appreciate that. It's been frustrating; a lot of people think something should be done, but aren't sure what and then some want to forget that anything has occurred and want to forget everything and go back to status quo which I think is entirely unrealistic. Nobody really seems to know where to go from here, so we're kind of aimless. I've love to set up some brainstorming sessions with a bunch of women in the area, see what we can come up with. While I'm gabbing, I attended my first solo birth on Wed! I've had people to talk to, but no one within the homebirth world (besides DH and it's just not the same as talking to a fellow homebirth mom/aspiring midwife) and I've really needed someone who truly understands what it's like. I wasn't planning on practicing anytime soon, still don't. I've got a lot more training that I would like to have before then, but when this family asked me I couldn't say no. I'm a bit of a softy when it comes to that. That's the one thing that I have to watch as a doula/student midwife is I've had a hard time setting boundaries. Telling someone "This is really early labor and you're not really feeling the contractions yet, so I'm just going to do a check and then head home until you really need me." That type of thing. I've had births where I was there for days and I've had to be very strict with myself to prevent it from happening again.
I had no idea you were studying or attending already. PM with more details about that if you get time!
Old 06-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Wow, this has become a pretty busy thread. I can't believe how many ND mamas there are on here.

All this talk about organic/natural food and I wondered if any of you ever order from Azure Standard. They will do a drop in Mandan, ND - I think they may also do one close to Fargo, I would need to check the route but I can never purchase the minimum $400 necessary for them to stop and if I order less the shipping is crazy high. But if anyone takes part or orders I would love to know, that $400 could be hit easily of there are others ordering.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmum View Post
Wow, this has become a pretty busy thread. I can't believe how many ND mamas there are on here.

All this talk about organic/natural food and I wondered if any of you ever order from Azure Standard. They will do a drop in Mandan, ND - I think they may also do one close to Fargo, I would need to check the route but I can never purchase the minimum $400 necessary for them to stop and if I order less the shipping is crazy high. But if anyone takes part or orders I would love to know, that $400 could be hit easily of there are others ordering.
Wow. I was not aware of that company. I know several people who would be very interested in ordering from them, myself included. It would be great to get a group of people together who would be interested. Do you know if the minimum is $400 per stop. Would it be a new minimum for example if someone wanted a drop in Mandan and another in Carrington? Thank you for posting about this. Very intriguing indeed.
Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
Wow. I was not aware of that company. I know several people who would be very interested in ordering from them, myself included. It would be great to get a group of people together who would be interested. Do you know if the minimum is $400 per stop. Would it be a new minimum for example if someone wanted a drop in Mandan and another in Carrington? Thank you for posting about this. Very intriguing indeed.
There is a $400 minimum per stop. There are a few drop points in Minot for Azure. You can call them to find out if there are drops near you.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
yep, unfortunately it's per stop. If you look on their website they have the routes and dates planned out. You can actually call to see if there is a stop being made in your area and if there is I think you can make an individual order I believe as long as its over $40 if the drop is already scheduled, but don't quote me on that . I personally would be willing to drive an hour or so if there was a drop point that people were interested in.

Where is Carrington in relation to Bismarck?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I've love to set up some brainstorming sessions with a bunch of women in the area, see what we can come up with.
I don't think I can be of much help as I have no experience with this, but I am very interested in this subject. ND needs more options for childbirth. I do not want to have another hospital birth. I am willing to participate in a brainstorming session and would love to know more about progress being made.

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marge&rooter View Post
Hi Everyone-
My name is Maggie, dh and I recently moved to Minot.
Good to see another Minot mama on here. There are getting to be more and more of us!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
Mama Joy, good grief you are a busy one!

Also, at Magic Market there is a supplement store in there where you can get good info about local Weston A Price and Traditional Food meetings as well as a referral to a local farm that sells lots or organic produce, meats and raw dairy. .
I am the local chapter leader for the Weston A Price Foundation. Our next meeting is June 25th at 6:30 at the Carnegie Center. Please come down if you get a chance. We have a presentation on fermenting. Please PM me if you are interested in organic produce, meat and dairy. I have a GREAT contact!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:51 AM

I just wanted to second what mamaprek said.
I am 12 weeks pregnant and am learning what it's like to find care in Minot that's in line with my beliefs. I think it's so very sad what little faith is left in our bodies to do their job.
I'm happy to help however I can.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:32 PM

Ok, so show of hands of all those willing to get together. If you let me know what city you are located in, I will try to set up a meeting place at a central location. My church has buildings throughout the state and I'm sure I can use the kitchen and one of the meeting rooms for a potluck lunch. If there isn't one available where we choose to meet, I will make an appt with the local library for their meeting room. Maybe Carrington, ND? That seems to be a 2 or so hr drive from Grand Forks, Fargo/Moorhead, Minot, etc. Might be the best we get when it comes to central location. I'm more than happy to have it here in Fargo/Moorhead, but that is a bit of a drive for some moms and I don't know how many would be willing to do that. Why don't those interested PM me and we'll start up a calling/emailing tree or something like that and work out the details? I want to make sure this gets posted on NDBC as well, so we get lots of input.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:43 PM

I just wanted to say thank you to the people who have replied so far. It has been very hard to get people pulled together and working on this. I realize we all have busy lives and that it's hard to work on something that has a potential to be as time consuming as this might end up being. So thanks to those who have pledged their help, and a heartfelt plea to those who are thinking about it. The more voices we have, the better chance we have of getting ourselves heard.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

I attended the meeting here in Bismarck concerning the previous bill and I'm still interested in helping however I can. I actually have an aunt with 6 children (all of them grown up and married now!) who were all born at home (except her first which was traumatizing for her). The second with the midwife and the last 4 with just her husband so our family knows a little about the topic. It's such a funny thing looking back at it, she called my mom after her last one and she was up an hour after and doing laundry, my mom just about fainted. The wonders of a peaceful homebirth, you'd never have that energy with a hospital birth now would you?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I can't count the number of times I've been scolded for being up and going real soon after a birth. Why should I stay in bed when I feel good and want to be up and going? I keep my babies home for the first 2 wks after birth (except for a quick checkup and PKU visit) and limit the people who visit, hold them, etc but by the end of those 2 wks I'm going nuts.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM

Marge - I have had a couple clients from Minot. The birthing climate in Minot is pretty harsh, I believe. I would go for homebirth if you are comfortable with it, but if not, there are a few doctors down here who are trustworthy. Let me know if you need any info.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:10 PM

Oh - I am in Bismarck. Sorry!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM

Marge I know of at least one midwife that might be willing to serve Minot, possibly two. Let me know if you want if you want more info.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:31 PM

I just moved to Minot a month ago. My husband is in the Air Force.He's getting out in a year, but we like it here, and we think we might stay.
our daughter is 9 months old.
We use natural cleaners, soaps, shampoos etc. We CD, Babywear, Co-sleep, EBF, and try to go free range, and organic. Ummmm...? I think that's all

I would love to meet any mamas in the area. PM me and I will give you my phone number.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:07 PM

This is what I get for not checking this area of the website for a couple of weeks!!! A whole huge thread I have to catch up on!!

So, about me.....I am in Bismarck. I am a WAHM running a daycare. I have a 4 yo boy, 2 yo boy and now a 5 mo girl. My DH is a paramedic here in Bismarck. We have only lived here for about 2 years. Before that we lived in Mohall.

My biggest obession is probably pregnancy and childbirth. I am hoping to go back to nursing school (I have been going to school for my RN off and on for 5 years) and become either a L&D nurse or a CNM. I also want to become a doula and childbirth educator. I would be both all ready if I could afford the distance courses thru Childbirth International....hopefully this fall.

I am mildly crunchy. I wear my baby, cosleep, breastfeed on demand and in public, and make all my baby food from scratch (and usually from veggies in my garden). I breastfed my first two until 18 months old and had to quit due to being pregnant with the next one. I remember all the funny looks and comments I had to put up with in my small town because I was slinging, cosleeping, and had midwives for my births.

I had a CNM for my first two births as well as a doula. Third birth was a VBAC here in Bismarck with an OB, no doula (she couldn't make it the day I was induced).

That's all for now, unless I think of something else!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I am 12 weeks pregnant and am learning what it's like to find care in Minot that's in line with my beliefs. I think it's so very sad what little faith is left in our bodies to do their job.
Oh I can sympathize with you!! I had my first two in Minot with the nurse midwives. Midwives were good, but Trinity Hospital is HORRIBLE!!! Thank god I had a doula (who unfortunately has moved away since I had those births) or it would have been an even worse experience.

To be honest, I would also consider having a homebirth or switching to a provider down here in Bismarck. I know several women from Minot and surrounding areas have done exactly that because of Trinity's policies. The hospitals down here are WAY better. I had my VBAC here at St. A's and it was a completely different world compared to Trinity!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfumoose View Post
I just moved to Minot a month ago. My husband is in the Air Force.He's getting out in a year, but we like it here, and we think we might stay.
our daughter is 9 months old.
We use natural cleaners, soaps, shampoos etc. We CD, Babywear, Co-sleep, EBF, and try to go free range, and organic. Ummmm...? I think that's all

I would love to meet any mamas in the area. PM me and I will give you my phone number.
I PM'd you! We're also ADAF.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Welcome! We're just north of Minot!

We need to organize a Minot mom meetup!! There are so many now!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

We're starting to taper off here...so this is my bump to keep the ball rolling... I think we SHOULD start trying to organize meetups in the different parts of the state here such as one in Bismarck, one in Minot, one in Fargo, & one in Grand Forks OR try to combine Grand Forks and Fargo and combine Minot and Bismarck...Any thoughts?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:30 PM

I would love to do a meetup in Bismarck, but I'm usually only free in the evenings and weekends. Any suggestions where? The zoo or one of the parks perhaps??
Old 06-19-2007, 07:30 PM

Sorry this is off topic ladies but if any of you know of nearby (in ND terms) midwife who meets these criteria please, please PM me:

• Be a nationally certified midwife (CPM, CM,
CNM); or
• Be legally recognized in a jurisdiction,
province or state as a practitioner who
specializes in maternity care; or
• Be a midwife who has been a primary
attendant without supervision for at least 50
out of hospital births and a minimum of three
years.

Remember, I am in Minot so I meant near me. I'm willing to travel alot so any info is helpful!

User Tag List