The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
I called Cass County Vector Control this afternoon and they told me that the chemical they use for areal sprays is Perm-X 30 30. The MSDS is HERE
if anyone is interested. I actually went out and covered my garden beds with a few tarps as best I could. I figured it couldn't hurt. Thanks for the links... this is so depressing. :
Ugh, at least your chemical only has a "CAUTION", ours is worse and has to have a "DANGEROUS" on it. Both suck though. I was going to suggest you tarp your stuff, good idea. I wonder why ND is so behind on their techniques that they are still using the least effective one all over the place.
#122 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
I think I'm probably the only person on Mothering that actually goes back and edits their posts for spelling, grammar, etc. How anal is that?
Nope, I do that, too!

I'm jumping in here, just found the link to the 'giant colossal ND thread'--thanks, thunderkitty.

I am a married SAHM to 8-week old Elisabeth. I didn't know I was crunchy (sorta) until reading these posts and getting a clear idea of what crunchy is! I babywear, and have just (since she was born) started reading up on AP. We co-sleep, breastfeed, EC. I want to do more organic foods and cleaning products, haven't gotten there yet. I grew up homeschooled, and DH and I haven't decided what we're going to do. I don't want to vax; DH isn't convinced. We wouldn't circ, are using 'sposies, but I want to CD, since she's doing so great with the EC. Does anyone else in Bismarck/ND EC? Most people think that is totally weird. I love doing it. I want to have the next babies at home--see my post titled "Question for OB/MW" under the Birth Professionals forum (sorry, don't know how to link). Not the only reason; I said all thru this pregnancy if it was easy(it was) I wanted to have the rest at home.

I would love to get together with other Bismarck moms. I'm still fairly new to Bismarck. I would appreciate some advice on baby carriers, have a Mei Tai, I love it, but straps are sooo long, a ring sling that I'm having a hard time figuring out, and an Evenflo Snugli that I' just not sure about (too many buckles!). So if you want to get together, just PM me!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#123 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Maggirayne,
Did you see the post about the Bismarck meeting next week? It would be a good chance to meet HB moms in your area and get questions answered.
#124 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:44 PM

Oh, I could cry! We're going out of state to visit family (show off my new baby!) and will be gone next weekend.

I did talk to a state senator who said the bill was tabled. Please let me know how it goes.

#125 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:48 PM

Haha, I was answering your post wondering if anyone else edited for grammar, etc., so I saw the mtg notice after I posted! E-mail me the questionnaire and I'll fill out what I can.

#126 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

I'm curious (and don't know how to find out) what are the laws regarding midwives currently?

#127 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 01:50 PM

This will be something new. Based on the answers we get from ND homebirthing families, I'll be writing a bill (the last one was a request for a study) for introduction to next yrs legislature. Long way to go before we are ready, we're just in the planning stages, but it's a start. We're having the same type of meeting the following week in Fargo, if you want to try for that one. These meetings are where we will be coming up with the questionaires (like I said, we're definitely in the planning stages) Otherwise I'm sure we'll be doing more planning meetings over your way as the yr progresses.
#128 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone from Bismarck/Mandan know if they plan to spray in our area? I have been very busy lately and gotten out of my own loop here on my very own giant colossal North Dakota thread, shame on me!: Anyway, hi all you newbies/latecomers happy to "see" some new faces. You are all welcome, and hopefully soon we can arrange some play groups...: Oh and I was also wondering how many of you ladies have plans for the Fourth of July, particularly here is Bismarck? I haven't come up with any fun idea yet and I'm wondering if the capitols display is all thats going on...
#129 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 PM

Saw your other posts after I posted. Currently, CNM's are the only midwives legally allowed to attend a homebirth. However, they have a collaborative agreement placing them under the jurisdiction of the physicians medical board which states that they must work in conjunction with a md if they want to practice in ND. No dr will provide backup for a homebirth so they are not allowed to do so. All CNM's in the state (there aren't that many) work with a dr's practice and some are even relegated to just doing prenatals and are not allowed by the physician to attend births. That's the way it is at ALL Naval Hospitals in the country as well (or at least was when we were Marine Corp). Seems like a waste of an expensive and time consuming education to me. Anyway there are direct entry and lay midwifes in the state that attend, even some from MN that cross the border, but they all practice very quietly. So far no midwives have been prosecuted, but it is a possibility especially after they were brought to the attention of the public after what happened last Nov.
#130 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 03:39 PM

Thank you. Does Bismarck have any CNMs? My dr said no. If we were still living in Williston, I would have had one.

Yeah, I have friends who are friends of the family--that was just ridiculous. My understanding of the last bill was it would be illegal for anyone to deliver a baby out of a hospital unless it was an emergency.

#131 of 903 Old 06-29-2007, 04:06 PM

Oh, the amendment of the bill. Yes that was tabled. It would have struck the terminology "other health providers" or something along those lines and left it that only the babies father would have been able to assist at the birth without prosecution. Even other relatives could have been prosecuted. A study was also proposed, which I think would have been a really good thing, but it was defeated.
#132 of 903 Old 06-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
Maggirayne,
Did you see the post about the Bismarck meeting next week? It would be a good chance to meet HB moms in your area and get questions answered.
Is there any interest in an informal playgroup/get-together after this meeting? I would love to meet other moms in the area, but I'm not a homebirther and don't feel I would have anything productive to add at the meeting (unless you're looking for people to just sign a petition or something in support of homebirth, which I'd be happy to do, but it doesn't sound like that's what you need).
#133 of 903 Old 06-30-2007, 02:54 PM

Oh, and who else is going to Urban Harvest this year? It's every Thursday from July 12-August 16 in downton Bismarck. There's a farmer's market and local arts and crafts. I will actually be a vendor! I'll be the one selling tie-dye ... and if there's more than one tie-dye seller, I'm the one who's nine months pregnant. I'll be hard to miss.
#134 of 903 Old 06-30-2007, 02:56 PM

A get together sounds good to me. There's a park down the street from the church building, and Bismarck definitely has a lot of other stuff to do if that doesn't work out.
#135 of 903 Old 06-30-2007, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookel View Post
Is there any interest in an informal playgroup/get-together after this meeting? I would love to meet other moms in the area
I'm in for this idea.
#136 of 903 Old 06-30-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Oh, and who else is going to Urban Harvest this year? It's every Thursday from July 12-August 16 in downton Bismarck. There's a farmer's market and local arts and crafts. I will actually be a vendor! I'll be the one selling tie-dye ... and if there's more than one tie-dye seller, I'm the one who's nine months pregnant. I'll be hard to miss.
I'm coming down sometime this summer!!
#137 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
That sounds like so much fun! I will have to make a trip to Bismarck for that. I wish Minot had something like this.

Hope, check out my life at http://thethriftyqueenspeaks.com

#138 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 01:18 AM

Hey Thriftyqueen, I found you again. I never did answer you on the other thread. I live in Moorhead, which I guess isn't technically ND. I will always feel like a North Dakotan no matter what.
Have you guys ever thought about the fact that, even though we don't seem to know each other IRL (at least I don't think we do), we probably all know someone who knows someone, etc... I've found that to be true in North Dakota and almost nowhere else.
#139 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 09:35 AM

Yeah, that is definitely something about living in ND...the whole state feels like a "small world." Good example...when DH and I moved to Bismarck 2 years ago, it turned out we were related to one of his coworkers and were good friends with his new supervisor's mom.
#140 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorified_rice View Post
Hey Thriftyqueen, I found you again. I never did answer you on the other thread. I live in Moorhead, which I guess isn't technically ND. I will always feel like a North Dakotan no matter what.
Have you guys ever thought about the fact that, even though we don't seem to know each other IRL (at least I don't think we do), we probably all know someone who knows someone, etc... I've found that to be true in North Dakota and almost nowhere else.

Hey glorified_rice! So good to hear from you again! I used to live in Fargo so I am quite familiar with Moorhead. We lived there from 1998-2003. It is so true about knowing someone who knows someone. Every time I meet someone new, it turns out that they know someone I know or is related somehow. Are you from Moorhead originally?

#141 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyqueen View Post
Hey glorified_rice! So good to hear from you again! I used to live in Fargo so I am quite familiar with Moorhead. We lived there from 1998-2003. It is so true about knowing someone who knows someone. Every time I meet someone new, it turns out that they know someone I know or is related somehow. Are you from Moorhead originally?
No, I grew up in Dickinson. We've lived here since 2001.
#142 of 903 Old 07-01-2007, 09:00 PM

thriftyqueen, I almost didn't recognize you!
#143 of 903 Old 07-02-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder! I missed Urban harvest last year. I definately need to make it this year. Do you do kids stuff in TD too? I want some TD rompers for my girls!!

Quote:
Does anyone from Bismarck/Mandan know if they plan to spray in our area?
I have been wondering this myself. I can't seem to find any info about spraying in this area too. Anyone know?
#144 of 903 Old 07-02-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatteras Gal View Post
thriftyqueen, I almost didn't recognize you!
Hey! I decided to switch things up a bit and change my name!!!

#145 of 903 Old 07-02-2007, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmum View Post
Thanks for the reminder! I missed Urban harvest last year. I definately need to make it this year. Do you do kids stuff in TD too? I want some TD rompers for my girls!!
We're dyeing a bunch of kids' T-shirts and onesies for babies, but I don't think we have any rompers, sorry! I'm not sure how well sales will go so we mostly stuck to buying basics to dye.
#146 of 903 Old 07-02-2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyqueen View Post
That sounds like so much fun! I will have to make a trip to Bismarck for that. I wish Minot had something like this.
Hey Thriftyqueen, would you like to car pool for this sometime. I'd love to get Caleb a tie-dye onsie or shirt. I'll send DH to school so we can go!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#147 of 903 Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Hello fellow NoDaks! I haven't figured out all your abbreviations yet so you're stuck with the long version.

Married to hubby for 15 years, 10-yr-old daughter, 8-yr-old son. We're new to the "crunchy" lifestyle so kids were vaccinated, wore disposable diapers, slept in their own cribs and ended up on formula after 6 months of breastfeeding. Let the guilt trip begin! Lucky for our son, we did get enlightened about circumcision prior to his birth so he escaped that nightmare.

Now that we know better we're working toward a more holistic, chemical-free, wholly natural/organic home. We do as much organic food as we can find and afford. Our kids go to public school but we send lunches (school menus are terrifying). We choose kinesiology/chiropractic care and supplements whenever possible rather than antibiotics and traditional medicine. (By the way, our chiro moved to CA ... anyone know of a good practitioner in the area?)

I participate in a handful of co-ops for organic food, cleaning supplies, health/beauty products, etc. All our meats come directly from my parents' farm and veggies come from a Park Rapids CSA.

I work part-time (mornings) and chauffeur the kids in the afternoons. :

Would love to get in touch with more "crunchy" or "semi-crunchy" families in the Fargo area. Am looking forward to learning more about this site and all its resources and connections. Can't wait to learn even more!

Michelle
#148 of 903 Old 07-03-2007, 08:01 PM

, Michelle!

Welcome!
#149 of 903 Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaprek View Post
Hey Thriftyqueen, would you like to car pool for this sometime. I'd love to get Caleb a tie-dye onsie or shirt. I'll send DH to school so we can go!
I would love to carpool to Bismarck!!! We will have to figure out a time that works best.

#150 of 903 Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeinND View Post
Hello fellow NoDaks! I haven't figured out all your abbreviations yet so you're stuck with the long version.

Married to hubby for 15 years, 10-yr-old daughter, 8-yr-old son. We're new to the "crunchy" lifestyle so kids were vaccinated, wore disposable diapers, slept in their own cribs and ended up on formula after 6 months of breastfeeding. Let the guilt trip begin! Lucky for our son, we did get enlightened about circumcision prior to his birth so he escaped that nightmare.

Michelle
Hi Michelle!
Just wanted to say how nice it is to know there are some others who did not circ their sons in this area. It seems so rare.
And dont sell yourself short, 6 months of bf is still great, lots of babies get none!

Jillie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page