The (hopefully) giant colossal North Dakota thread! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 903 Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd love to meet up, but I can't make it on Thursday because DH won't be home from work till the afternoon and then is still on call after that. Plus I will have all my daycare kids that day...too many little kids to handle out and about without DH to help.

However, next weekend (not this weekend, but the first weekend in August) is DH's 3 day weekend off (plus I am not going to be doing daycare in August), so I'll have alot more freetime then to do a meet up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 903 Old 07-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Oh, that's too bad, ndakkitten, we'll definitely have to try again. I'm not sure, but we might be out of town that weekend, but it would work during the week to get together!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#183 of 903 Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM

I should read the thread more often. We were at Urban Harvest yesterday late afternoon/early evening. Does it seem smaller this year than past years? I seem to recall them having more in the past.

ndakkitten - Are you still moving to Ontario? You were thinking of moving right - I would love to be back there, I am so jealous. We were actually considering it 2008/2009 but seems so far away.

Kara - Did you find Daycare yet? We have been interviewing and we have just had some not great experiences. Hope your having better luck.
#184 of 903 Old 07-27-2007, 06:07 PM

Hi All!

My name is Lisa, and I'm new to the site. I grew up in Bismarck and recently moved back after living in Grand Forks for 3 years and Mineapolis for 4 years. I am pursuing my Master's in OT degree at the U of Mary, and my new husband of one month just opened a new chiropractic clinic in May. Even though we have only been married for a month we have been together for 7 years and are getting ready to start a family. Travis is working on being the first Wellness certified Chiro in ND, so I am learning a lot about a more natural way of living. When we finally do get pregnant we are planning on having as little medical intervention as possible, including no vaccinations for the baby.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and it's fun to see so many women from this area. Hopefully I'll get to know you all better as I hang around the board more often!

Lisa
#185 of 903 Old 07-27-2007, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmum View Post
I should read the thread more often. We were at Urban Harvest yesterday late afternoon/early evening. Does it seem smaller this year than past years? I seem to recall them having more in the past.

ndakkitten - Are you still moving to Ontario? You were thinking of moving right - I would love to be back there, I am so jealous. We were actually considering it 2008/2009 but seems so far away.

Kara - Did you find Daycare yet? We have been interviewing and we have just had some not great experiences. Hope your having better luck.
Morgansmum I haven't bothered to be honest with you. I decided to take a drastic approach and enrolled all my classes as internet classes (except one that only takes 2 hour of my week) my mother will have to watch my daughter for the first 2 or so weeks during that class, till September then the dreaded occurs, DD begins HeadStart because it is the only way I can get "childcare" I trust will be without corporal punishment (which is Illegal in public schools in North Dakota by the way) and where my wishes for food restrictions, and all that are fulfilled, at NO CHARGE to me, which right now is important. I don't think it is ideal, but if I get the education I need now I can make choices about homeschooling or a charter school (in a city that has one) later. I wish you all the luck though, and trust your instincts. I had a lady babysit my DD once when I was short on time to interview and ended up coming back to her sleeping in the same spot I left her, 4 hours before! You really need to be careful around here because there are a lot of people who use methods I trust neither of us agree with. All of this I am sure you know. I will tell you though that my mother has a childhood friend who runs a daycare who is very kind and enjoys her job, but I am not sure of openings. I'll PM you her name and # when I look it up tonight. If she has an opening, honestly you can't get better. She's very patient, loving, and gentle and was wiling to accommodate diet restrictions if necessary when she babysat for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa211 View Post
Hi All!

My name is Lisa, and I'm new to the site. I grew up in Bismarck and recently moved back after living in Grand Forks for 3 years and Mineapolis for 4 years. I am pursuing my Master's in OT degree at the U of Mary, and my new husband of one month just opened a new chiropractic clinic in May. Even though we have only been married for a month we have been together for 7 years and are getting ready to start a family. Travis is working on being the first Wellness certified Chiro in ND, so I am learning a lot about a more natural way of living. When we finally do get pregnant we are planning on having as little medical intervention as possible, including no vaccinations for the baby.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and it's fun to see so many women from this area. Hopefully I'll get to know you all better as I hang around the board more often!

Lisa

Welcome Lisa, you're lucky to have found Mothering before you had children! So many of us are not so lucky, including myself. I'm sure we will all be more then happy to give you a good 101 on anything you want to know along the way. Again, welcome!
#186 of 903 Old 07-28-2007, 12:35 AM

Hi Lisa. Welcome to MDC.
#187 of 903 Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Morgansmum I haven't bothered to be honest with you. I decided to take a drastic approach and enrolled all my classes as internet classes (except one that only takes 2 hour of my week) my mother will have to watch my daughter for the first 2 or so weeks during that class, till September then the dreaded occurs, DD begins HeadStart because it is the only way I can get "childcare" I trust will be without corporal punishment (which is Illegal in public schools in North Dakota by the way) and where my wishes for food restrictions, and all that are fulfilled, at NO CHARGE to me, which right now is important. I don't think it is ideal, but if I get the education I need now I can make choices about homeschooling or a charter school (in a city that has one) later. I wish you all the luck though, and trust your instincts. I had a lady babysit my DD once when I was short on time to interview and ended up coming back to her sleeping in the same spot I left her, 4 hours before! You really need to be careful around here because there are a lot of people who use methods I trust neither of us agree with. All of this I am sure you know. I will tell you though that my mother has a childhood friend who runs a daycare who is very kind and enjoys her job, but I am not sure of openings. I'll PM you her name and # when I look it up tonight. If she has an opening, honestly you can't get better. She's very patient, loving, and gentle and was wiling to accommodate diet restrictions if necessary when she babysat for me.
Thanks for the info. I have DD#1 in a trial period with one starting monday and interviewing 2 more while my infant stays with the current provider that we have. I have been appauled with some of things I have seen, one provider left children unattended in a pool and had a gun cabinet with in 10 feet of the play room - I ran her background check through the state data base and OMG! Many of these daycares have 7-9 children to one cargiver - far cry from my 1 to 3 ratio. We are actually considering BECEP (through bismarck public schools) for DD#1 in the fall to for some of the same reasons you mentioned. However they are not really embrassing of the no vaxing thing - so be prepared with your exemption forms! Hope everything works out well for you.

Quote:
Hi All!

Lisa
Hi Lisa - Welcome to MDC. I am so glad to hear we have some new chiro's coming to town. I have found that not all chiro's embrace the no vax'ing and natural allternatives, at least here. I have only found one that agrees with all of that. Did you come directly from MN ? The secretary on the VA clinic DH went to told him about a wellness chiro opening up in Bismarck coming from MN, I wonder if it was your hubby she was talking about.
You are definately lucky to have a head start with finding MDC before starting a family, I wish I had.
#188 of 903 Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I have DD#1 in a trial period with one starting monday and interviewing 2 more while my infant stays with the current provider that we have. I have been appauled with some of things I have seen, one provider left children unattended in a pool and had a gun cabinet with in 10 feet of the play room - I ran her background check through the state data base and OMG! Many of these daycares have 7-9 children to one cargiver - far cry from my 1 to 3 ratio. We are actually considering BECEP (through bismarck public schools) for DD#1 in the fall to for some of the same reasons you mentioned. However they are not really embrassing of the no vaxing thing - so be prepared with your exemption forms! Hope everything works out well for you.

Now, not to be nosy but, what all do you know about the vaccine issue at Becep? I had one person that works there say no biggie just a couple a form to fill out and possibly a speech from the nurse, which I will just tell her to not bother with when the time comes...then I had another say she had never heard of such a thing and didn't think it was allowed (which I of course knew was hogwash!) Is it suitable for me to just bring in a pre-signed form from the state site signed for expemption? I'm sorry if I'm asking you too make Q's I'm just wanting to be prepared so as not to have to "discuss" it with them any more than necessary. actually had one person say there are a few moms from there who are filing suit for vaccine injury on their children, so I figured it should go over moderately okay, considering.
Oh and as far as the gun cabinet daycare, I'm not surprised considering where we live (no offense to anyone about location, and I don't own a gun so I'm not advocating it, trust me!). To each their own but, we should be thankful we chose our caregivers and they aren't chosen FOR us!
#189 of 903 Old 07-29-2007, 11:33 AM

Kara - I would walk in with the form - say nothing else, end of story. Give them nothing. I made the mistake of being to 'wordy' when we met (DD is getting another service through BECEP right now - not daycare) and they put in her admission document the challenge would be that she would be more likely to contract a disease because of her lack of immunizations. I am working at getting that removed before the document is mailed out (I don't want her vaxing or lack there of in their paperwork besides the exemption form) but they haven't returned my call. I am not surprised I guess since the director gave me that dear in the head lights look when I mentioned our take on vaxing. Learned my lesson, say as little as possible or nothing. They will also ask for the ped records if I am correct or progress notes. Be specific on the release about what exactly can be seen from them. You don't have to do or listen to anything (nurse included) as they are a state run facility they have to respect the exemption, unlike private daycare.

Good Luck, mama, I have leaned my lesson, say nothing and just do what you need to make it ok for your child.
#190 of 903 Old 07-30-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks LeeAnn, I'm sorry for your experience and I will follow your advice. I already have a copy of the Immunization form filled out now and when the time comes will just hand it to them and if they begin lecturing I plan to just say "This is not a topic that is open for discussion." That should be enough to make them drop it, I hope. That and I plan to bring my mom who can have a good "mouth" on her when necessary!:
#191 of 903 Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Hi Lisa - Welcome to MDC. I am so glad to hear we have some new chiro's coming to town. I have found that not all chiro's embrace the no vax'ing and natural allternatives, at least here. I have only found one that agrees with all of that. Did you come directly from MN ? The secretary on the VA clinic DH went to told him about a wellness chiro opening up in Bismarck coming from MN, I wonder if it was your hubby she was talking about.
You are definately lucky to have a head start with finding MDC before starting a family, I wish I had.
Hi morgansmum ~

Yup, that probably is us. My husband's mom is a nurse at the VA here in town. Travis is definitely against vaccinations, and is trying to educate patients on the benefits of chiropractic that can help decrease the need for medical interventions. He just attended a seminar on pediatric chiropractic and I think this is another area of interest he will pursue further once he gets into the groove of things business-wise.

Speaking of Urban Harvest ~ Travis has been doing chiropractic screenings there for the past two weeks and will be there every week until the even is over. One of his classmates is also a new chiro in town and she has been setting up at Urban Harvest as well so they might just share a table this week. Anyone who comes down should definitely stop by and say Hi!

lisa
#192 of 903 Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa211 View Post

Speaking of Urban Harvest ~ Travis has been doing chiropractic screenings there for the past two weeks and will be there every week until the even is over. One of his classmates is also a new chiro in town and she has been setting up at Urban Harvest as well so they might just share a table this week. Anyone who comes down should definitely stop by and say Hi!
Welcome Lisa,

I found Mothering/MDC while I was expecting, don't know if I would have before, well-duh, yeah, I would have, I used to read Parenting or Parents, when I was teen, but then I've always wanted to be a mom! Anyhow, I met your husband's chiro classmate--visited with her this past Thursday. Pretty neat!

I hope to see more of you this coming week. I'll probably be around either 11-ish or after lunch, 1-3.

#193 of 903 Old 08-01-2007, 11:17 PM

Okay, I'm planning on going to UH after lunch tomorrow, will head to Pookel's tie-dye booth first. I'll wear my red T-shirt and be carrying or pushing a 12 week old.

Also, is anyone else interested in AP? I got the email from the API leaders in Minot. I'd like to go up for the first meeting, would anyone want to carpool? PM me if you'd like to.

#194 of 903 Old 08-02-2007, 12:30 AM

Just wanted to post a quick update, I had my baby:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=722952

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I think I will be at UH briefly with the new little guy. Maggirayne, got your PM, have been too busy to be online much! Would love to get together sometime though, maybe next week.
#195 of 903 Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks LeeAnn, I'm sorry for your experience and I will follow your advice. I already have a copy of the Immunization form filled out now and when the time comes will just hand it to them and if they begin lecturing I plan to just say "This is not a topic that is open for discussion." That should be enough to make them drop it, I hope. That and I plan to bring my mom who can have a good "mouth" on her when necessary!
Kara - Just wanted to let you know I called up there to have the vax info removed and told them it was not something that needed to be in her paperwork for all to see. It was not a problem, they removed it and didn't say a word and said they understood and it would not be written or discussed. I was very pleased with the reaction, hopefully it will be as easy for you as well. GL

Quote:
Hi morgansmum ~

Yup, that probably is us. My husband's mom is a nurse at the VA here in town. Travis is definitely against vaccinations, and is trying to educate patients on the benefits of chiropractic that can help decrease the need for medical interventions. He just attended a seminar on pediatric chiropractic and I think this is another area of interest he will pursue further once he gets into the groove of things business-wise.

lisa
That is great, I will have to stop up and check out UH again and send DH for a screening, LOL. Dh said it was the nurse not the secretary he talked too, must have been your MIL. He was talking to her about using a chiro and seeing less of the doctor because he hates having to use meds and she told him about her son from MN opening up a wellness practice here. He has huge back and neck issues from a military injury and a chiro has been the only thing that helps.

Quote:
Just wanted to post a quick update, I had my baby:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=722952
Congratulations Pookel - What a cutie!
#196 of 903 Old 08-05-2007, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Hello, mothers! My computer went through complete meltdown and I "lost it" for almost a week (in more ways than one!) So, I got an email from a mom in Minot who wants me to let all of you know she is starting an API (Attachment Parenting International) group in Minot! I was excited to hear about and I hope alot of you can make it, especially you moms in or around Minot. I may be able to make it to one myself also. The website for the meetings is here. Anyone who I am needing to write to I will try to get around to it asap now that my I'm regaining sanity.:
#197 of 903 Old 08-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
We've gotten a really good initial response to the midwifery survey, but unfortunately have only received 2 completed surveys back so far. I'd like to start compiling the data, so if you could send it back to me soon that would be great. If you need another, just let me know. I'd be happy to resend it.
#198 of 903 Old 08-06-2007, 09:35 PM

Could you send one to me? I am in MT, but I am having Paulette as my mw again. I would like to participate.
#199 of 903 Old 08-09-2007, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I have to agree, I thought Urban Harvest was smaller this year. I did get down there just for a few minutes the last Thursday in July, but that was just cause I was out running errands with my daycare kids.

And no, we aren't moving to Ontario quite yet...gonna take a while for DH's license to get transferred, so we are gonna move to a mobile home somewhere in Bismarck while I work on my nursing degree. Gonna be taking classes full time online this fall and hopefully get into MC1 nursing school in the spring. Be nice to finally get my RN..been working on it for so long...
#200 of 903 Old 08-13-2007, 03:44 PM

Hi ladies, it's been a while. I was just working on my VPD/vax library and was thinking about havng a varicella party and measles party when DS is old enough b/c I've heard they are good illnesses to be exposed to in childhood (duh). Any of you hinking of this or interested...or know where to find kids with either illness?
#201 of 903 Old 08-14-2007, 01:17 PM

Actually, while I was reading What Your Doctor May not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations, I was wondering if anyone did that yet. It makes sense. Of course, I caught chicken pox 20, uh 22(!) years ago when I was in first grade. It certainly makes sense to make sure your kids have natural immunity before they get it as adults. Vaxing for that seems so silly to me. My DD is way too young yet.

#202 of 903 Old 08-14-2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
Actually, while I was reading What Your Doctor May not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations, I was wondering if anyone did that yet. It makes sense. Of course, I caught chicken pox 20, uh 22(!) years ago when I was in first grade. It certainly makes sense to make sure your kids have natural immunity before they get it as adults. Vaxing for that seems so silly to me. My DD is way too young yet.
So is DH, I think. However, when the time comes I'm willing to drive a good distance so, ladies, keep me informed if anyone gets infected.
#203 of 903 Old 08-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Hi! This is my first posting in here.

I'm Dalayna, 21 y/o Mama to my sweet baby Jessi. We Brestfeed, no vax, co sleep and babywear.

I moved to Fargo when I got married Feb '05 and when DD was 3 months we moved to WY to be closer to family. Well, things aren't working out here with jobs and stuff so we are moving back to Fargo. DH is already there and we will be coming up in September.

So.. That's my intro.
#204 of 903 Old 08-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Dalayna, I'm in Moorhead. Glad to have someone else in this part of the state! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out with your move.
Jen
#205 of 903 Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layna View Post
Hi! This is my first posting in here.

I'm Dalayna, 21 y/o Mama to my sweet baby Jessi. We Brestfeed, no vax, co sleep and babywear.

I moved to Fargo when I got married Feb '05 and when DD was 3 months we moved to WY to be closer to family. Well, things aren't working out here with jobs and stuff so we are moving back to Fargo. DH is already there and we will be coming up in September.

So.. That's my intro.
Dang it! Another ND mama lost to Fargo! We are lonely here in Minot, if any of you make it our way give us some notice. Nice to meet you Dalayna. I'll intro myself to you since you won't want to go back and read. I'm Jen, have one 9 mo DS. We co-sleep, babywear, BF, no-vax, no circ, organic farm foods (thanks to Farrah), we are also gluten fre (Celiac Disease) . I'll be a student midwife hopefully in January.
#206 of 903 Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 PM

Hi everyone! I just wanted to post that the API meeting held in Minot was really great and I hope more families will attend the monthly meetings in the future. Let me know if you want more info.
Take care!

Sara - - PreK Teacher, Birth Doula, Wife to Shaun (8/13/05), Mama to Caleb (8/17/06), Chance (6/22/08), and Brielle (10/31/09) - - - winner.jpg

#207 of 903 Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
Hi Dalayna, I'm in Moorhead. Glad to have someone else in this part of the state! Let us know if there's anything we can do to help out with your move.
Jen
Thanks Jen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhow32000 View Post
Dang it! Another ND mama lost to Fargo! We are lonely here in Minot, if any of you make it our way give us some notice. Nice to meet you Dalayna. I'll intro myself to you since you won't want to go back and read. I'm Jen, have one 9 mo DS. We co-sleep, babywear, BF, no-vax, no circ, organic farm foods (thanks to Farrah), we are also gluten fre (Celiac Disease) . I'll be a student midwife hopefully in January.
Hi! I'd like to know more about a gluten free diet, DH has a very hard time gaining any weight and it was suggested.

I'm also wondering... Is there any BFing laws for ND? I was wondering because of the BF Momma's who can say that they are protected by them. I can't seem to find any for ND, is that right?
#208 of 903 Old 08-16-2007, 02:27 AM

The only laws in ND that protect bf are the ones that protect you from being sited with indecent exposure. Nothing actually protecting it saying a woman has the right.....

I had heard that there was a law that went through and got shot down because it said something to the effect of doing it in a discrete manner.
#209 of 903 Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM

Welcome, Dalayna!

I was wondering about the laws, I BF everywhere I go in Bis--Target, Walmart, library(fave), Terry's health foods store (they love my DD there!), restaurants. I love my sling, am more comfortable with it, but not entirely. Thankfully I've never gotten any looks or comments. I would probably embarrass DH! Actually I did last night, at the library they were giving away little cups of ice cream, and the lady says "Oh, wouldn't you like some?" to DD facing out in my Mei Tai. I say, "She's too little--unless we made it out of mama's milk. The lady made an awful face and said, "Eewwww!" DH just looked at me and shook his head as we were walking away. I wasn't trying to make a huge point, I'm just very good at ! (she was just making conversation, and I embarrassed her.)

I always get compliments on my sling and Mei Tai, both courtesy of eBay.

I wanted to go to the AP mtg, DH was like "Why? You do all that stuff (8 principles) already." Considering the fact that the two couples w/kids, both babies, are into the Ezzo stuff, I really want to find/build/be part of a support group for what I am doing--co-sleeping, BFing, babywearing, no CIO. I want to learn more about the gentle discipline, I was raised being spanked, not abusive, but made me angry and communicating/listening would have improve my behaviour enormously. Sidenote, my parents read and tried to use the Continuum Concept principles as best they could, my mom didn't let me CIO and BFed to 15 mo.

Last thought: I got my cloth diapers, am doing all the initial washes, but am so excited to start using them!

#210 of 903 Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Thanks Maggirayne!

The only place I NIP in Fargo was at Walmart... but that was mostley due to the fact that we didn't go too many places after we had DD. Here, I've done alot more. I was always afraid that DH would be embarrsed by me NIP but one time we were at Applebees and Jessi wanted to eat. He looked at me and goes.. Well? Aren't you going to feed her?
I love using my slings, too. I have a ton now that I've started making RS (My favorite right now!)
What's CIO?

It's funny this whole AP thing. I never knew it had a name. It was just how I knew things. My mom had 12 kids.. all natural, the last 9 at home. She quit vaxing with the last several and BF us all.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page