Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
"love to get arrested. . ." Yeah, that would be a good reason. This thread is about a mom in Lexington, KY, who was asked to cover up at an Applebee's. I know there's one in Fargo, and 2 here in Bismarck. I'd be willing to show up at a nurse-in/out. Anyone else in Bismarck interested?

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=739358
http://www.kentucky.com/211/story/161993.html
I thought about this. I thought, "But if we did that there, we could get in trouble" then I thought... Maybe that would be a good thing.

So, we're moving up there Tomorrow. DH got here this morning to load all our stuff up and take us back I'm very excited to be going back up there.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:18 PM

This is a link for the organizing the national nurse-out.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bwb_lactivist/

Who is interested in a nurse-out at Bismarck Applebee's?

I would start a nurse-out here, but DH isn't comfortable with me doing it since I have nursed at Applebee's (but my DD's head was covered, so it was okay).

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:23 PM

I'd be all for it! Only problem is that my DH works this Saturday. So I'd be managing all 3 of my kids myself. My 4 yo and 8 month old are fine...its the terrible 2 yo that makes it iffy! I'll show as long as there are going to be others. I've never done a nurse-in before...nursed in public tons of times, but never as a protest!

Which location were we going to use, the north or south Applebees? I am pretty much equidistant between the two, so it doesn't matter to me.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:03 PM

I don't know if the sidewalk around the north one is public property, so I'd think the south one would be better, most people aren't planning on eating in. I won't be there.

I am curious to know if Applebee's has changed their policy/public statement to be BF-friendly.

Applebee's aside, I'd still like to get together with other Mamas from here. Who's still interested in a meet-up for fun? Post here or PM me, I'll organize it. Would anyone be interested in a picnic at one of the parks while it's still nice weather?

Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Applebee's aside, I'd still like to get together with other Mamas from here. Who's still interested in a meet-up for fun? Post here or PM me, I'll organize it. Would anyone be interested in a picnic at one of the parks while it's still nice weather?
We would love to attend a Bismarck get together, however I work FT we could only attend if it were evenings or weekends. My Girls would love some new friends to play with.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmum View Post
We would love to attend a Bismarck get together, however I work FT we could only attend if it were evenings or weekends. My Girls would love some new friends to play with.
I agree with both of these statements! My daughter started Head Start this Wednesday and I go to school too so weekends or evenings (any day other than Thursday) would work for me as I attend school that night. Otherwise we're up for good times!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM

Okay, gals! My DH is out of town next Wed evening, so what if we meet then? Or, thunderkitty, would that make Wed too busy for you? Anytime is good. Thursdays evenings don't work for us either. Let's see if the forecast is any good. . . 10-day says mostly cloudy/sunny and nice moderate temps, mid-60s. Warm enough to picnic?

Ideas for parks::
Pioneer is my fave
Jaycee's/Med1 Bear park
Schaumberg/Wachter
Seratoma (numerous shelters/playgrounds)

What's close? It doesn't matter to me. My DD is only 4 mo, so not really playmate age.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:46 PM

ND mamas! We NEED YOU! We still need a ND Nurse-IN. We are so close to getting ALL 50 states. Go here http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group...portRows&tbl=1 check it out and register your event if you would!

Thanks mamas!
Old 09-08-2007, 08:24 AM

I will be at the Grand Forks Applebee's on columbia rd if anyone wants to join me. I will have press-kits, a folder for the manager, handouts, a sign, and a baby.

come one, come all!

btw, ND indecent ecposure law does not include breasts so no laws will be broken.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I hope no one minds if I vent for a minute. I have a friend that was due yesterday and is trying to induce at home. No problems with that, I gave her a few tips that have worked for clients in the past and if the baby isn't ready they won't work. Anyway, was talking to her today giving her some more tips and found out that she is trying to avoid being induced on Tue because it will lower her odds of having a drug-free birth. I asked why her doc was rushing it and turns out she will be in meetings all week after Tue and wants to be sure she will be the one that delivers. GRRRRRRRR Nothing like ignoring the health of your patient so that you can make sure you get paid for the delivery. The thought of convienence inductions (for the dr's convenience that is, a post due mom trying to induce at home I have no problem with since it won't force her to labor if the baby isn't ready) drives me crazy. I had to get off the phone with her pretty quickly because I was so annoyed for her. She obviously is not ok with it so why she is agreeing to it I don't know. Anyway, that's my rant for the day.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:52 PM

Garg, drs who insist on inducing just annoy me. My dr said a week after my 'due date' I'd have to be induced. I just smiled and kinda umhuh-ed and thought, "Yeah, right, I don't have to do anything." I'd told DH months before that I did not want to be induced. Hello, babies can't/don't stay in there forever! And due dates are only estimates!

She also kinda tried to scare-tactic me, saying the one lady she 'let' go overdue had to have a c/s b/c of complications. Um, and a friend who was induced three weeks before I was due, (she was a week 'overdue') had a c/s b/c 'the baby was distressed'. Well, duh, I'd be distressed if I wasn't ready to come out and things were happening! Since when did the medical establishment they knew better than the human body??? And when did they decide that a due date was an exact date? Everything I've read says give or take a week, so what basis do drs have to induce when it's an estimate? I also like that fact that in Europe where they have 80% midwife-attended homebirths, the due date is considered 41 weeks. And I recall a recent university study that said that a possible cause of labour starting was a hormone being released by the baby when the lungs were matured. Makes sense to me!

Um, yeah, so you can vent, Jen. I just ranted.
I do kinda wonder if inducing has an effect on the mother's health later on? Interruption/disturbance of the natural hormones? Induction has always disturbed me(long before I got married), and I've got a gut feeling,YKWIM, no studies to prove that idea. . . but I wonder.

I was also thinking how wonderful my drug-free delivery was. Hard as the cx got strong at the end, the last couple of hours, but I just felt intense pressure as her head came down/crowned, and immediately after felt good, not muzzy-headed from drugs, just naturally euphoric from the lovely natural endophins and adrenaline. Why would anyone want drugs to mess that all up? And to top it off, the severe plugged ducts I am fighting/working on, were hurting so bad yesterday that I was thinking it was worse than labour b/c the fever had made my whole body tense up(fighting chills), so my back and neck were aching, my throat felt sore(?) and even my ears hurt, I was so weak I didn't feel safe carrying DD down the hall. I thought, "Shoot, I'd rather have labour than this! How did I go through labour?" I thought I had low pain tolerance, before labour, thought maybe not after, but yeah, I do. But it's definitely not as bad when you get something good for hard and sometimes painful work.

So anyway, back to your friend, could she not meet the backup OB? It's her choice, not her dr's who 'delivers' the baby. Don't people know they can stand up for themselves?

What percentage of inductions end up in c/s? And what percentage of overterm(proper term, or overdue?) pregnancies result in c/s? I think I'll post that in Birth Professionals and do some research.

So thanks for venting, you got me thinking and doing more than just pondering my questions.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Article on birth choices in the Herald this morning:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/arti...1&section=News

It was written by a friend of mine who's due any day now. Jljeppson, I see she interviewed you, so I assume you know about it already!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:48 PM

I just read an article that talked about the number of inductions that ended up in c/s etc. I'll try and find it and send you the link for it. My 1st birth wasn't as horrible as some hospital births I've heard about, but I began contracting (4 an hr, big deal) when I was 35wk+1. Had some supposed complications the previous week so had been asked to go in whenever I had anything start up. Turns out I was leaking amniotic fluid and was admitted. They left me sitting there all night, decided to induce the next day, and left me in bed on Pitocin until the day after. During that time they broke my water bag. Long story short, I had a high tear that sealed itself, my contractions never did anything (monitor could sense them but the Pit never touched me and it never hurt or did anything to get the contractions closer than maybe 4 an hr. Can anyone say Braxton-Hicks?) and ended up with a doc that used a drug on my cervix I have since found out isn't approved for labor and delivery and had my cervix manually stretched. Nothing worked. My son just wasn't ready to be born, but they had broken my water so couldn't let me leave and were waiting for one last delivery before sending me to the OR for a c when I finally kicked into overdrive and delivered. I ended up with a preemie, who fortunately went home right away, that had some major trouble nursing because of his prematurity and was 2lbs less than my other kids. Ended up with a high tear 2 more times but had a midwife and we just watched it and it sealed and I delivered 1 wk later in one case and 2 later in the other. I think part of the reason I am so adamant about having food in the house during l&d is due to not being allowed to eat for 3 days w/my 1st birth. Had a doc (new at the office I was going to, wasn't out of residency etc all that long) w/my 4th that started mentioning inductin when a few days over. Just told him I wasn't interested, he looked startled (VERY startled) and said something along the lines of "so he'll just come when he wants to", and I was all yes that's the way it normally goes. Did agree to an ultrasound to put his mind at ease, but baby delivered at 41+1 and was definitely not overdue. Anyway, I'm not a fan of inductions in case you couldn't tell. Pookel, I saw the article this morning and was going to mention it. One of the sentences they qouted me as saying was a bit garbled, don't know what that was about, but overall it was well done. Now I just need to go back and make 50 phone calls to editors and remind them to publish the news release.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is there anybody on this thread from Fargo??

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 09-09-2007, 05:37 PM

Almost, I'm in Moorhead. I just like to hang out with the ND people.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:26 PM

Jen, a couple questions:
Regarding that great article in the GF Herald, are there free-standing birth centers in Fargo/Moorhead, or are they attached to hospital? And do you act as a doula at times or only midwife at homebirths?

Oh, and which sentence was garbled? It was quite positive(I thought) about midwives. More than anything else I've read recently in the press.

And how does a high tear seal itself? I've never heard of that and how can you tell? Stops leaking? on its own?

Altho' Fargo's a stinking long drive from here, that would be nuts, but a thought if we moved to the country and went further east. But I loved Williston country.

Pookel, Thanks for the article and how are you doing? How's your sweet little fellow?

Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM

Is anybody up for getting together?

What time and what park(see above post for suggestions)?
I'll bring a watermelon to share, then we can just bring our own sandwiches, drinks, snacks, etc.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Are any of you MDC mamas going to the AP mtg?

My wonderful husband agreed to go! I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, esp. you Minot mamas, since I never get up there. He's doing to make me happy and quit bugging him, so it's my one chance.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:59 PM

There used to be a free-standing birth center in Moorhead, The Stork's Nest, but Jill closed it a few yrs ago. Cost too much to keep going. Now if medical assistance would have paid for HB's.... But that's a pipe dream at the moment. As for now there aren't any birth centers in ND at all (I don't count anything that is in a hospital as a birth center) and no free standing ones in MN anymore that I know of. I think there are some that are attached to hospitals but none that are CPM, etc run. As for doula/midwife it depends on the birth. All hospital births I've been at I've acted as a doula, of course, but I haven't done one of those for several yrs. I would go if asked, but I haven't advertised myself as practicing. For HB's it just depends on what the mom needs. I've been at some where, like me, they do their own thing and they don't have you interact until they are ready for you to catch. In those cases I just did the normal check up stuff and the midwife and I stayed out of the way. Others the moms has needed/wanted more support and in those cases I did both. At my solo in May the mom had a doula who was very helpful, but the mom also needed encouragement. So along doula lines, mostly what she needed from me was the "professional" in the room telling her everything was normal and she was feeling exactly what she should be. Other than that, I just did the midwifery stuff. Again, it's just birth to birth and depends on each mom. A smart midwife lets her gung-ho apprentice wear herself out doing the doula stuff and saves her energy for when the action starts. And I have always worked with smart midwives As for the article, I really was pleased with it. I'm just anal about spelling, grammar, that kind of thing. Part of my type-A personality. It should have said that Minnesota's on the books.... instead of Minnesota is on the books.... Like I said I'm way too anal. And of course it didn't look as bad to me when I went back and looked at it again a minute ago. As for the high tear, it just stops leaking. For a tear like that it never would have leaked much to begin with. The pressure from the baby usually seals the tear together and it heals, wherever it may be, and since it's only the outer layer of bag, not the inner 2nd layer containing the baby it doesn't matter so much. The baby itself can actually tear the inner bag with it's fingernails while playing with their hands (the unborn get bored too you know) and the bag usually ends up folding over the tear while the baby moves around and reseals it, kind of like Saran Wrap. So no biggie.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:00 PM

Jeez, I post long replies. Sorry everybody.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:22 PM

, yeah, and here's me with sitting and resting b/c of these plugged ducts, I've spent so much time typing two-handed I get a little excited!

You crack me, so nonchalantly, "the unborn get bored too you know."

Old 09-10-2007, 02:13 PM

Well, think about. Not much to look at, nothing to do. Ever see a bored kid just absentmindedly tie a shoelace (or anything else) into a big knot just because it's something to do? I figure it's a similar principal for kids with knots in the cord. Can't you just see a fetus busily tying his cord into a knot and thinking "Let's see them untie this one". I swear my son James spent his entire time inutero planning ways to make me pay for putting him through that kind of confined space and relative inactivity. He is definitely NOT a child that can be confined now and rebellion is like second nature to him. He had a lot of time to plan that kind of thing.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:23 PM

Yes, actually, I've always wondered about babies being bored, I mean 2-3 minutes for me, and I start inventing fun . Babies are smart. I mean is DD is smart enough at 4 mo to let go of my hair when I tell her to, I don't think she will stay occupied staring at the ceiling very long, but then she does zone. . .

Old 09-10-2007, 03:37 PM

I agree, kids are very smart. At least selectively so. Sight and hearing are selective too. I'll ask my kids to pick something up and they will literally be stepping on it and yet claim they can't see it. Or I can stand next to them and say their name 10 times and they won't hear me, but the sound of the bathroom door closing and the toilet lid going up will bring them running from 2 blocks away to have an urgent conversation with me that absolutely can't wait until I'm out. And as for candy/treats on the frig inside a bag and behind some other stuff, they have no problem locating that either. How's the mastitis going? I've had that before and it's not fun. With my 4th I had severally cracked nipples (I still have the scars) and mastitis at the same time. The mastitis itself wasn't too bad but it made the cracked nipples worse and for a month I thought I was going to die whenever I nursed. I even pumped for awhile to help things heal. Fortunately I had no problems with my last kiddo and believe me I was grateful every day for it. Hopefully this one will be the same way and I can end my baby yrs on a high note.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:55 PM

I will try to be there on Wednesday! We're testing the waters with a new daycare for my older son right now (I go back to work in a few weeks), and it's right next to Sertoma Park, so I'll be in the area to pick him up then anyway.

Also, I'm in need of a sling tutorial. I have two problems ... one, I can't find most of the slings/carriers I bought last time (just a couple I didn't like as much), and two, I have never been able to get the hang of a sling. So Wednesday, I'll bring my basic ring sling, and if someone could help me with it, that would be awesome. Also, if anyone has different types I could test out (Mei Tai?), to see if I should buy a different one, that would be great too.

Sorry to hear about the mastitis, Maggirayne, that sucks. That's one problem I've never had. (Scabbed-up nipples so bad that the LC winced, on the other hand ...) Hope you feel better soon.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I will try to be there on Wednesday! We're testing the waters with a new daycare for my older son right now (I go back to work in a few weeks), and it's right next to Sertoma Park, so I'll be in the area to pick him up then anyway.

Also, I'm in need of a sling tutorial. I have two problems ... one, I can't find most of the slings/carriers I bought last time (just a couple I didn't like as much), and two, I have never been able to get the hang of a sling. So Wednesday, I'll bring my basic ring sling, and if someone could help me with it, that would be awesome. Also, if anyone has different types I could test out (Mei Tai?), to see if I should buy a different one, that would be great too.
Pookel - Your new Daycare doesn't happen to be on Arbor does it? Just curious - we had some really bad reviews from one of the certified ones down there we were considering using.

We are trying to make it Wednesday too. I have a Mom Tai MT, an Ergo and Didy (if your a wrapper ) you can try out to see if any of those work for you. I will bring them if we make down for you to try.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:32 PM

No, it's on Lincoln. Home daycare, nice 20-something girl with an eyebrow piercing and a baby of her own.

I would love to try your slings/wraps! Now I'll just hope Simon isn't in a crabby mood. And that I don't have to change him 20 times while we're there (I didn't think even a newborn could poop THAT much!).
Old 09-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Huzzah, I'm so excited it's working to get together! I'm also feeling good and silly this morning!

I thought I'd post the details here in case I missed anyone.

Time: This Wednesday evening after 5 pm til 7-8.

Place: Seratoma Park, Shelter #8. It's right by the zoo entrance and the eagles. It's pretty quiet on Wednesday nights down there, but PM me with your cell numbers (if you haven't already) so we can let everyone know if it is occupied, or we have to go elsewhere b/c of bad weather.

I'll bring watermelon or something appropriate and for everyone. Since I have no idea how many will come, I'm thinking each family bring own drinks, sandwiches, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you all! And yes, that's a great idea to bring our carriers to try each others. I just borrowed a OtSBH last night at the AP mtg. I'll bring it and my Mei Tai and ring sling. Mtg was fun, we missed the first 50 minutes, it's a long drive, ugh, and longer w/crying baby.

Extra: Thanks for asking about the plugged ducts. The lump was thumb-size last night, and after nursing it was gone, I was just about dancing! It's lumpy this morning, but I think not permanently concrete like it was, ya know? My nipple is scabby where I punctured the tiny blisters, am putting lanolin on, and it hurts shooting-like when DD nurses yet, but not quite as bad. I feel great, not achy/sicky/half-dead anymore!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:27 PM

That's great Maggi. Glad to hear you're doing better.

User Tag List