Midwives, doulas in Wyoming? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-15-2008, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all...
Just wondering if there are any hbmw or doulas in WY, and if so, what areas they cover? Cheyenne, and anywhere in the state, actually.
Thanks!
I love WY and MT and I am ready for a change of scenery. Lower MI is not my home and I don't know that I'll be staying here more than a year. Thinking about going back to CA, but also thinking about MT and WY.
Any positives you'd care to share on your state? How is the climate for midwives (I'm a student right now)
Thanks!

Mom of 5 working full-time and waiting to go to nursing school! Whew! I need a nap! joy.gif

#2 of 18 Old 10-29-2008, 01:48 PM

There was one hb midwife, Sue Merrill who was at the birth of my daughter, in Cheyenne that I know of but she ran into some legal trouble and I don't think she's practicing anymore. (It was a horrible horrible situation with a newborn who ended up dying after she had instructed the parents not to travel.) So I'm pretty sure the climate for midwives (in Cheyenne anyway) is pretty much nonexistant unless someone is practicing under the radar. (Which is what Sue was doing anyway since it's not legal in WY.) I couldn't tell you about doula's I really have no idea, I haven't actually lived in WY for a while. Someone else might be able to tell you more. I know there was at least one thread on mdc about Sue's trials, etc. I'll see if I can find them in case you're curious. Sorry to be such a downer!!!

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#3 of 18 Old 10-29-2008, 02:11 PM

Here you go if you're interested, there are other links in this thread I think.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...yoming+midwife

Single student mama to dd 5/04 and ds 11/07.

#4 of 18 Old 10-30-2008, 01:54 AM

Hello.

I'm actually under the care of a midwife right now (I'm due in April with #4). Direct Entry Midwifes are considered illegal in Wyoming. Sue Merrill, the midwife mentioned, was a direct entry midwife, and after the death of a baby she delivered here in Cheyenne, she was prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license, and for the death of the baby (but I can't remember the exact charge...involuntary manslaughter, I think?). Anyway, she is not practicing any longer, and any of the direct entry midwifes who were traveling up from Colorado have since quit (no one is crossing the boarder for fear of prosecution).

However, Certified Nurse Midwifes are fine to practice in Wyoming, whether they deliver at a hospital (one in Cheyenne and one in Laramie...that I know of) and my CNM travels up from Denver for my care. Recently there is also a CNM who is starting up her practice in Laramie. I don't know much about the rest of the state. And I don't know whether CNMs from Utah, MT or ND/SD travel into Wyoming.

I guess it just depends upon where you are thinking of settling. Good luck though.
#5 of 18 Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 AM

Do you like the midwives up there - or are they rather medwives? We will move there in April and stay for 4 years in Cheyenne. I'm planning my second baby to be born in 2011... But I wanna do my homework first
My health plan covers the midwife in CHeyenne (Tarr) and a bunch in Greeley and CO actually. Are you happy with your midwife and do you know others who are happy with the ladies up there? I'd love to get some names
If you know a cool ped that would be great too
#6 of 18 Old 11-26-2008, 03:10 AM

first - hi michelle, nice to see you here!

Moving on:
Quote:
Do you like the midwives up there - or are they rather medwives?
Janet Schwab, who lives and practices primarily in Denver attended my homebirth (#3), and I wouldn't classify her as a medwife in the least. I used Tarr for #2... She works in the hospital and while she's better than the other hospital options, she is much more medically minded than I would have preferred.

The only thing is that Janet is trying to increase her clientelle in Denver (she's pretty new to the area) and reduce the amount of time she spends in Wyoming (and therefore the insane 2 hour commute).

Agreeable peds are harder to come by...

ETA: there is also a CNM in Beullah (sp?) which is about 5 hours, give or take, north of Cheyenne. I've had a few e-conversations with her and she seems really awesome. She played a very big part in legalizing hb in SD.
#7 of 18 Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the info I still have some time before we plan our second, but I want to be prepared. I have to go with whatever Tricare pays for... I hope Janet will still be around then. I don't mind delivering in Denver if necessary (my parents are retirees and can come for the up to 12 weeks)... This time I delivered an hour from where we are based to have the nicer hospital available (one without an anesthesiologist and without nursery for healthy kids)...
Did you get Tricare to pay for your homebirth?
What did you not like about Tarr?

As far as peds go, until our next promotion we gotta stick with Tricare Prime which only leaves us with the on base ped. They can't force us to vaccinate so I don't fret about it... What are your experiences with peds in WY?
#8 of 18 Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 PM

I am in Casper... If you want a hb midwife, you can find one- it is hard but they are around. Word of mouth is the best way to find one and sometimes a little creativity in how you go about appointments and such to comply with the law. There are 4 that I know of off the top of my head who will travel into WY to deliver. There are also novax friendly peds in Casper. Hard to find, but again a word of mouth kind of thing. Doulas- I know there are some fantastic ones in Casper. I had one at my last birth but she moved to UT recently but there are others here who seem very nice also!
#9 of 18 Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 AM

Wow, I didn't know that there were any midwives in wyoming, or that will travel here. I'd been planning a UC, because of the terrible lack of options here. I'm studying to become a doula, if that helps anyone..... I'd be willing to travel to get some labor/birth experience!

Tristian, vegetarian wife to Matt, intactivist, UC supporting mama to my little earth-child-in-training, Ginny (4), and my sweet boy, Finnian (2).  Due mid-July with our third little one!

#10 of 18 Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM

NAK...

Nia: so sorry i'm such an infrequent poster, i'm only just now seeing your q's! I didn't have any specific probs w/ tarr - she did push all the normal tests, and seemed taken aback when i didn't want to do certain things (I can't remember what, now, though...) The biggest problem was that there's no way to guarruntee you'll get her for the birth, and in fact they "require" that you see a doctor every few apts for prenatals... to be quite honest, if i HAD to go back to a hosp, i would go to Ft Collins, without a doubt. payment: yes, a portion. She is out of network, and won't take on patiets who don't agree to pay her fees in full, regardless of thier ins - she just cannot afford to do so, esp when she's traveling to and from denver!!! as far as peds go, many kids are being sent off base, they are understaffed. i'm not impressed w/ the current base ped, but she's nice enough, and not pushy - didn't batt an eye when we "discussed" vax (I told her what our plans were, she said ok)

Ginny - i'm in the process of getting in the process of becoming a LLL leader (long story, lol.... re and i both have scheduling difficulties) and a CBE and a Doula. but i'll be moving very shortly, so you won't have my competition, lol. i believe there are 2 other doulas in town, though i don't know either........ in anycase, you don't have to plan a UC (unless that's your thing), there are other options!
#11 of 18 Old 01-27-2009, 10:11 PM

For those who may not have heard -- there's a bill in the WY legislature to try to legalize practical midwife births (read: home births) in WY. It's crucial to contact your legislators NOW -- here's a link to the thread about it here:

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...8#post13080078

Not all who wander are lost.
#12 of 18 Old 01-29-2009, 03:19 PM

We'll move in May/June (not sure yet, you know, hurry up and wait - military )...
I hope they will legalize home births. It would be awesome.

@ mom2mializ: Thanks for your help! I see in your sig that your hubbie is military as well and that you selectively vax. How is that going with the military doc for you?

@ Ginny: We'll live in Cheyenne. We are planning on a second babe soon - We will start trying this year in December probably... It's still 11 months, but yet kinda soon
#13 of 18 Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM

Sorry to hijack your post but if you read the article about HB in the Casper paper today the couple from Casper said that they had a HB attended by a NMW from Laramie. The only one I know of here is a medwife that works in the OBs office and does not do homebirth. Can anyone fill me in on who this woman is?

Thanks,
#14 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 11:54 AM

Hello everyone!
the above mentioned family in the paper the other day was Me, Austin, and my wife Sarah (Who is a Certified Doula from DONA- To answer the question of doulas in wyoming) There is a CNM in Laramie who is attending homebirths, although due the the wyoming weather it will depend on the time of year and location as to whether or not she would be able to attend. Her name is Penelope Caldwell. She is an amazing CNM with a homebirth attitude, "its a natural process and you don't usually need to mess with anything!" She was wonderful. You can email me or my wife if you would like contact information or information on my wifes doula services. My wifes email is SarahMarieR@hotmail.com
#15 of 18 Old 02-18-2009, 02:47 AM

Please feel free to contact me for information on homebirth midwives in your area. I cover the northereastern state from Casper to Gillette and on to Sheridan and anything East of this including Newcastle, Torrington. I have the contact information for the 3 other homebirth CNMs. :

Jeanne Prentice, CNM
605-580-5495
jeanneprentice@gmail.com
www.womankindmidwifery.com
#16 of 18 Old 04-07-2009, 11:28 AM

I am a doula in Denver, but I used to live in Laramie and am going back there this May to be a friend's doula. It's really only about 2 hours away, so I might be willing to do it for others if they are opened to waiting for me!
#17 of 18 Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 AM

There is one Student Midwife in Powell. She is also a DONA Doula. There is another Doula here and they both attend home births. There are also 2 Student Doulas and 2 doula study groups here.
I know there is a Lay-Midwife but I can't find her for the life of me. I've tried!

Free Birthing, Non-Vaxxing, Non Circ'ing, Baby wearing, Bed-sharing, Breastfeeding Momma of 2 toddlers and pregnant with our 3rd UC baby. Student Doula and Future Midwife
#18 of 18 Old 11-12-2010, 03:41 PM

I think there are 2 doulas in Sheridan, but I'm not sure either are DONA certified or anything.  I've never met either of them, just found them on some web search I was doing or other.

Kristi

Wife to 1 since 2000

Mom to 6 hippie.gif('01), jammin.gif ('02), superhero.gif('07), bouncy.gif ('09), energy.gif ('09), diaper.gif ('10)

homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page