Sioux falls info, might be moving there - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-13-2008, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone live in Sioux Falls or near? We are considering relocating while dh goes to school in Canby, MN. What are the different areas of the city like? Which are the good neighborhoods? Kid activities? Dd is 3 in March. We're going to check out the BaanDek? Montessori, heard any good or bad about it? If you want to PM info that would be great.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#2 of 7 Old 11-23-2008, 08:48 AM

Not sure I can offer much info as we just moved here last month, but I did want to pass on a link to the thread I started while we were looking: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=948260.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 7 Old 11-25-2008, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the link to that thread. How's it going for you in SF? We are going to plan a trip for the spring and check things out.

Dd Sydney 3/06 & Dd Lola 2/10
#4 of 7 Old 12-11-2008, 02:22 AM

I feel like we're starting to get settled. I'm still getting my bearings, but I'm at least connected online with a couple of community groups--not so much in person yet. Just about the time I felt ready to get out of the house, it was getting cold!

Once your plans are set for the spring, PM me and maybe we can meet up.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#5 of 7 Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 PM

We lived in SF for 3 years while DH and I went to school there. We liked the city. A lot of great people there. VERY conservative though, so I tended to be out of the norm. I did get a few dirty looks breastfeeding in public, but I figure I'm just educating them lol.

Pretty much the entire city is run by the BIG hospitals. I delivered my DD at Sioux Valley (now called Sanford Health) with a CNM and had way more interventions than I would have liked, so if you ever want to give birth there I'd totally recommend looking into homebirth.

I can't help with schools as we had one newborn while there.

We lived in central sioux falls, right next to University of Sioux Falls and the cost of living there is really cheap, if you live just outside the city limits I think it's even lower. Now that we live in Minneapolis what I miss most is that low low cost of living!!

Good luck with your move.
#6 of 7 Old 01-02-2009, 01:23 AM

I current live in Sf and have most of my life. I live in the middle of town. I really enjoy the fact that I can get any where in the city in about 15 from my house. We also use the city bus in good weather, so I also enjoy be close to bus routes. I think that there are many actives for kids. there are 4 community centers, with open gym a couple times a week. They also have classes that are pretty reasonable. We home school and are actives with a couple of AP/ home-birth groups
#7 of 7 Old 01-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Chiming in a little late.

Re: 'good' areas of the city to live in, my vote would probably be for something in central SF, especially in the McKennan Park area. It would put you in walking distance of the park, which has a great playground, free wading pool and has children's shows and music nights during the summer. It would also put you in walking distance of downtown and any of the events going on there. If I had my choice that's where we'd be, but my dh likes 'suburbs' and cookie cutter houses. Oh well...at least there aren't any big trees to shade my garden...but it would be nice to be within walking/biking distance of something.

If central Sioux Falls isn't an option I think I'd look for areas with easy access to the bike trail.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page