Prescott Homeschool Groups? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-19-2009, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for an active homeschool group in Prescott or Prescott Valley that would welcome us even though we are not Christian. Or, does anyone know of any active preschool coops in this area? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-23-2009, 10:54 PM

Hello! We're also in PV, although we plan to put our house on the market this spring and move to Prescott. We don't homeschool--our older two go to Mountain Oak Charter School (Waldorf-inspired), and our youngest goes to a home-based preschool playgroup and will start Kindergarten at Mt. Oak next year. We love our school, but we did homeschool for a year. Our oldest (DS) did most of a year at K at Mt. Oak, really needed another year of K, so we decided to homeschool for various reasons, but ended up going back for first grade after taking a year off--he wanted to return.

Anyway, there was a small homeschooling group in our area during that year we homeschooled, made up of non-Christian homeschoolers. It was mostly younger kids--ds was the oldest by at least 2 years--he was 6 at the time. We tried to plan regular activities, but somehow it never fully took off. All but two of the families have either sent their kids to school, or moved away from the area. I do know of a couple of families who still homeschool, one in Prescott--I think her kids are maybe 5 and 8, and one in Yarnell (about an hour from here), who is a close friend of mine--hers are 6 and 3. I could put you in touch with her--she's in Prescott from time to time and would probably enjoy meeting another homeschooling family.

How old are your kid(s)? Have you been to the Wednesday storytime at the downtown Prescott Library? If not, it starts at 10 am, and it's a great place to meet other moms--lots of cool, Mothering-type mamas attend.

Best wishes to you!

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
#3 of 5 Old 01-24-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the nice reply 3boobykins! I have a daughter who is almost 3 1/3 and we are expecting baby #2 in March. We moved here a couple months ago from Texas. You actually replied to a question I posted in the fall about local midwives. We are using Paula Matthew and are very happy with her! Thank you for the recommendation.

Since my daughter is still young, I don't have a huge need for a home school group right now (which is good, because I am not finding one!) But since we are new here and trying to make friends, I figured it would be nice to meet other home schooling families. But I am also interested in learning more about the Mountain Oak Charter School. That seems like a good back-up plan if home schooling does not end up being a good "fit" for my kids.

We have been going to story time in PV on Wednesday mornings, but I might try the Prescott one - thank you for the info.

I looked up Yarnell on the map. I bet there is some good hiking between Prescott and Yarnell. I might even be willing to drive out that way for a play date and do some hiking on the same outing. I would be interested in talking to your friend. Also, is the playgroup that your youngest attends something that I could try bringing my daughter to, or is it pretty full already and not embracing new joiners? I will PM my e-mail address to you.

Thank you for the help!
#4 of 5 Old 03-19-2014, 07:12 PM

I have a great group for Homeschool Families in Prescott. There are daily activities for children ages 5-18, parent support, lesson plans, education field trips, pot-luck lunches, fitness classes, summer campout, prom and graduation ceremony for the HS aged children. We have a lot of fun! Give Heather a call at 970-270-2552 for a registration pack.

#5 of 5 Old 04-12-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

So fun to see other local mamas here! I'm in Prescott too :love 

ETA and I used to work at Mt Oak!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page