Utah Mamas - midwife questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I just got one of these

I have a million things swarming my brain. I'm a little in denial and think I will be for a while still. How fast do I have to act to get a homebirth midwife around here?

Do i have to start calling right now? Can I wait until this sinks in a bit for me or do I have to jump right on it?

Also, I'm 95% sure my insurance won't cover HB, and I'm seriously considering duel care until at least my 20w US. ANyone know of a home birth friendly CNM? I'd really rather not set food in an OB's office, but if there is a home birth friendly OB who is *female* I'd consider it. I don't want to deceive a CNM into thinking I'm going to the hossy, I'd like to be upfront and honest about it. I'm in Lehi and would like someone in Northern UT county or SO. SL county.

I'm in a total cloud, same as with DS. Completely unexpected, it took a good 5 mos for it to feel real with DS. I expect I need to contact a midwife before then, but...

and where in the world is a good, comprehensive list of midwives along the wasatch front? i've google and only come up with individual sites... anyone?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Congrats on your pregnancy!

I don't have any recommendations because I don't have any experience with midwives, but I do know where you can find recommendations.

There's an unmedicated childbirth support group that meets in Provo. I've gone there and they are always willing to give out suggestions for midwives/OBs in the area who are natural birth and homebirth friendly. The site is http://www.birthnaturally.org/ucanbirth.htm. The next meeting is in March, but I'm sure you could email Laura for recommendations before then. She is a childbirth educator and has experience with a wide range of providers.

As for calling "right now" I'm sure you have a month or two before it gets important. However, I have a friend who is due in September trying to find a midwife now because she's afraid they'll be booked up if she doesn't hurry. That might be a concern.

I hope you get to have the birth you want! Congrats again!

Mommy to DD March 2008, DS July 2010
Old 02-10-2009, 03:51 PM

Rebecca Williams does homebirths, and if you have BCBS insurance it is covered, if not her rates are very reasonable. www.greatexpectationsbc.com

Congrats!

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 PM

If you are interested in a homebirth with a cpm, try www.betterbirth.com.
They have an office in Orem and one somewhere in Salt Lake. My midwife is Bridgette (and I : her), but I think the other two would be great, too.
As far as your insurance, they are pretty good at getting at least some of the costs covered, and really after the deductibles with a hospital birth and the crazy amounts that they charge for things like the icky plastic container to put your cute new baby in (who actually uses those?), it's usually cheaper to just pay for the homebirth anyway.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! I do have BCBS, but it's through DH's work which is based in Minnesota, so it's not Utah's BCBS, do you think that would make a difference?

So you don't think I have to act right this second to book a midwife? I'll be fine if I wait a few weeks (I'm really only like, two seconds preg. I need to let this sink in, KWIM?).

I'm so nervous!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not in Utah, but I might be able to help with your insurance question. I'm in MN and I know MN BCBS will pay for HB's. I don't know if that means they will pay a Utah midwife, but it does make things look better for you. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:11 PM

I just wanted to tell you CONGRATS!!! :

I called my m/w (Rebecca Williams) as soon as I found out to make sure I got a spot with her!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jljeppson View Post
I'm not in Utah, but I might be able to help with your insurance question. I'm in MN and I know MN BCBS will pay for HB's. I don't know if that means they will pay a Utah midwife, but it does make things look better for you. Hope this helps.
That is very helpful! I need to start researching how to finesse the company to get them to cover it!

Eeep!

So, so, many things. It seems like such a momentous decision to pick an HB midwife, right? I think I need to sleep on it for a few more days.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM
JMJ

Don't feel like you have to rush into anything. The recommendation is that you get an appointment by 13 weeks and have 13 appointments during your pregnancy. You've got time to breathe a bit before looking into who would be best for you and then meet with a few midwives before making a decision. If you're struggling with morning sickness, a number of the midwives in town are happy to talk to you about that even before you commit to working with them.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Do Melissa Mayo and/or Chris ****** have a website? I swear I don't do anything without obsessing over it on the internet and I can't really seem to find them on google.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
Do Melissa Mayo and/or Chris ****** have a website? I swear I don't do anything without obsessing over it on the internet and I can't really seem to find them on google.
Melissa is my midwife and no, she and Chris don't have a website. But let me know if you want their numbers!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM

I don't know if this has changed since August, but Rebecca Williams was only taking on three clients a month back then. I called her when I was just barely 4 weeks and snagged her last spot! I didn't actually begin care with her because of some issues I had with DS I felt like I should have another hospital birth so that spot did open back up, but I was shocked that she was already booked when I had barely found out I was pregnant! I guess she's popular!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:50 PM

Congrats!
Ill admit I don't know of someone who fits all your criteria.
But I would assume you could get many of your questions answered on the Utah Friends of Midwives yahoo group. Good luck.

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
Old 02-15-2009, 05:36 PM

AS far as a hospital based midwive, Danielle Demeter is very homebirth friendly from what I have heard. She does see patients in SLC as well as park city.

Melissa Mayo was and is my midwife and she is great. Knows her stuff incredibly well and has been doing it for a long time. Not super crunchy vibe, but great at what she does. Chris ****** too.

BCBS -- I have Blue Shield from another state and they do pay for homebirths. They don't contract directly with midwives here, so, because they don't have any midwives, they have to pay out all midwives as though they are "preferred providers" -- works out great. If this is true for your insurance as well, it shoudln't take a lot of finness -- just call them and ask "how" (not "if") they pay for services provided by a midwife.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

For those who have used Melissa Mayo... do you know if she delivers in Utah County? I'm in Lehi, so I'm *barely* in Utah County... and anyone have contact info? I'm getting brave and calling around today... or tomorrow... I swear by Wednesday I'll call! I'm in my 6th week already, this is nuts!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
For those who have used Melissa Mayo... do you know if she delivers in Utah County? I'm in Lehi, so I'm *barely* in Utah County... and anyone have contact info? I'm getting brave and calling around today... or tomorrow... I swear by Wednesday I'll call! I'm in my 6th week already, this is nuts!
Sent you a pm!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

Old 02-25-2009, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Well, thank you all for your wonderful advice! I'm pretty sure I've found my homebirth midwife! :
Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 AM

Useing a midwife might seem like a nice idea and so much more personal then a Doctor but trust me.IT IS NOT WORTH IT!

The midwives will tell you that if theres any problems there will be a doctor right there to help.  Well That is just a flat out lie, do not believe it!  If you have an emergancy, There are not always doctors on hand. That was the case in my situation and I was at a hospital!  My baby was in destress durring delivery and The doctor on call was delivering someone elses baby and my baby was left to die. The midwives could do Nothing!!!!!!!   Your comfort is far less importaint then the life and wellbeing of your baby.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

chamberlina, welcome to Mothering. smile.gif   I am very sorry for your loss. We'd love to get to know you more so please post another thread to this forum as someone from the Utah/Arizona area or in our Pleased to Meet You forum to tell us a little about yourself in a more general way.You might also want to post to our Pregnancy and Birth Loss forum.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:00 PM

Welcome to Mothering, Chamberlina! Sounds like you've found your midwife, that's Great!! Here's a link to the Utah Midwives Association in case you want to do some more looking. And, join a Due Date Club. Best of everything to you!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Chamberlina- I am so sorry for your loss; words cannot express. I can't imagine anything more painful than losing a child. You seem to be blaming yourself, which should not be the case. There are no cut-and-dry right or wrong answers when it comes to parenting, pregnancy or childbirth. I know that some of the reasons I chose a midwife are not because it simply sounded nicer, but because I truly believe it to be safer. Some prefer to have a doctor there, just in case, which is a totally legitimate decision. With the infant and maternal mortality rates so high here in the US, where most birth are attended by a doctor, I just don't believe it to always be safer. If a woman births a child with an epidural in her spine flat on her back, with all the interventions, and the baby is in distress, delivered via C-section and then dies or has cerebral palsy, no one blames the mother or the doctor. We say, "They did everything they could." But what if? What if she'd given birth at home with no interventions? Able to labor the way she chose? Would the child still have gone into distress? Would the child still have died? There is simply no way to know. Just as with your birth; would your child have lived had you had a doctor managing your labor and delivery? Or would your child have gone into distress even sooner and still passed? I'm sure that you did not choose a midwife believing that you were compromising you child's safety and well-being, but rather that you were choosing the best possible care for your child. I know this is easier said than done, but please don't feel that you are responsible.

Melissa Wife to DH, Mom to DS (6) and DD (3) We are a homebirthing, no vax, intact, devoutly LDS happy family!

User Tag List