AZ--pregnant w/out insurance--advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A very good friend of mine is pregnant! : However, she and her husband are getting ready to move here from England, and just realized that no insurance company will cover her pregnancy (alas, health care...). Her mom is freaking out that they were so "stupid" to get pregnant w/out jobs or insurance, and I'm trying to help them figure out a solution that does NOT include staying in England till the baby is born.

Any ideas? ACCHS has a plan for pregnant women, right?
#2 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 03:58 PM

They do indeed. Insurance wouldn't even pick up a new policy for my HUSBAND while I was pregnant. They might run into trouble with ACCHS since she isn't an Arizona resident by certain standards. If that's the rout they are going to go, get on it quick, it took me a long long time to jump through all their hoops.
#3 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:00 PM

If they qualify for ACCHS then they'll be covered no problem. I think the birth center also allows for payment plans and gives discounts for self-pay (I could be making this up, but I think so). My parents never carried insurance and always paid for my sibling's births out of pocket. Frankly I think I paid as much in co-payments and whatnot with insurance as some I've known who self-pay. I think they should be fine. Good luck and congrats to your friends.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#4 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Depending on their income level, she may qualify for Medicaid. Medicaid has more generous income limits for pg women and children than it does for adults, and IIRC they waive citizenship requirements for pg women as well (any baby born here is automatically a citizen.) And if they're currently jobless, income levels shouldn't be a concern anyway.

I'm only familiar with Medicaid in NY, but since it's a federal program, it should work the same in AZ. I do know that local offices set income guidelines based on the local cost of living, but other than that, the overall guidelines should be the same in all 50 states.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#5 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Depending on their income level, she may qualify for Medicaid. Medicaid has more generous income limits for pg women and children than it does for adults, and IIRC they waive citizenship requirements for pg women as well (any baby born here is automatically a citizen.) And if they're currently jobless, income levels shouldn't be a concern anyway.

I'm only familiar with Medicaid in NY, but since it's a federal program, it should work the same in AZ. I do know that local offices set income guidelines based on the local cost of living, but other than that, the overall guidelines should be the same in all 50 states.
fyi, medicaid in AZ is called AHCCCS. that is what the previous posters were referring to.
#6 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 06:10 PM

i think you have to be a resident for 30days- so tell them to move home quick

if she homebirths, i think the going rate is 3000ish? my friends hospital birth with insurance cost her over 5 grand...

i so do not get how insurance van be so expensive monthly and then pay for NOTHING

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#7 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 08:11 PM

When you are pregnant and applying for ACCCHS they move REALLY fast to get you covered.

Here is the link to the 2009 eligibility requirements

http://www.ahcccs.state.az.us/Public...quirements.pdf

The part that covers pregnant women is down at the bottom of the page.

Is she considering a homebirth? ACCCHS only covers lab costs with homebirth.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#8 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 09:05 PM

What do you mean "no insurance company will cover her pregnancy"?

If she has the means to get private insurance, she should do so. Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition and insurance companies can not refuse you based on pregnancy.

AHCCCS is intended for low income families. Not families who live in another country and move without having any sort of job or insurance plans.

I sort of agree with her mother. I think it's hugely irresponsible to move to another country and expect that country to pick up the tab for my medical care because I failed to plan.

You say they have no jobs or insurance? What the heck are the going to do once they get here? She's pregnant for heavens sakes. Isn't it much more responsible to stay put where she has medical care until they have jobs and insurance before moving?
#9 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your advice and the info about homebirth and AHCCCS. I'll pass this info on to my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
What do you mean "no insurance company will cover her pregnancy"?

If she has the means to get private insurance, she should do so. Pregnancy is not considered a pre-existing condition and insurance companies can not refuse you based on pregnancy.
This does not apply in her case--the HIPAA rule that pregnancy is not a preexisting condition applies only to group coverage--it is to protect people moving from one job to another. It doesn't apply to people who are insured as individuals or who lack insurance and are trying to get it.

I agree that this situation isn't ideal, but she had no idea how hard it would be to get insurance once pregnant---I think it's one of those things you just don't know about until it happens to you. I was telling my mom about it today and she was shocked that my friend could not find insurance now that she's pregnant--I don't think it's common knowledge.
#10 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 10:55 PM

i could not get private insurance when i was pregnant. even if i wanted to pay 1000 a month. its true.

im sure once they get here and get jobs they will get group insurance just fine. i do not see what the problem would be using AHCCCS until then.

ya know, because technically they will be low income until they find jobs.

its easy for people to comment that they should stay in england. But if their family is here- i would hands down recommend them moving home, AHCCCS is there for a reason.

I raised my first dd 2500 miles away from anyone.... it was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

i will never get the amount of judgement that gets thrown at pregnant women using AHCCCS. She is pregnant, and far from home. If using state assistance for a couple months gets her home, she should do it.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#11 of 14 Old 02-15-2009, 11:53 PM

I am not judging women who are pregnant and use AHCCCS. It is there for a purpose. I don't think it's there for this purpose.

I can not imagine moving to another country and expecting their people to foot the bill for my health care.
#12 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 01:14 AM

We don't know whether or not this woman is American moving back to the states from England or is she is from England moving here because of Work or other issues.

If you are able to get insurance , most insurances individual or group will not cover a pregnancy during the first year of coverage.
We found this out the hard way the first time I got pregnant and we were in the process of switching jobs and insurances .

I wish your friend WELL and hope she enjoys her new life here in the States whether it be for the first time or a welcome back ...
#13 of 14 Old 02-16-2009, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
I can not imagine moving to another country and expecting their people to foot the bill for my health care.
just for the record, my friend was born and raised in AZ, went to college here and worked here for several years. Her husband is British, so they have been living there for a few years. If she wanted to move somewhere to take advantage of the health care system, she would certainly not be leaving Great Britain for the US. Her familly is what brings her here.

OK, thanks for the resources, people!
#14 of 14 Old 02-25-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBaby1 View Post
If they qualify for ACCHS then they'll be covered no problem. I think the birth center also allows for payment plans and gives discounts for self-pay (I could be making this up, but I think so).
Are you referring to Bethany Birth Center? They (as far as I know) stopped doing births almost 2 years ago They are still a women's clinic and all, but I don't think there is another actual birth center except maybe Tuscon.

Quote:
I am not judging women who are pregnant and use AHCCCS. It is there for a purpose. I don't think it's there for this purpose.

Not to spark a debate, but what exactly purpose DO you think is ok? I'd think for the purpose of having a baby would be fine. Besides, if you're living in another country with enough ties to it to qualify for medical benefits, you're probably paying taxes. It's not like she's coming to sleep on America's couch and raid our fridge and leave without cleaning up.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page