Flagstaff, AZ - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For such a hip town with lots of hip mamas (even a hip mama meetup group!), are there any MDC mamas around? Post here!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 PM

there are not many on here, but there are a few of us!

hi dara!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Oh hey there Kristine!! That is funny, since our babies are almost the same age, and we have the same number of posts as well!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM

We'll be moving to Flagstaff in June and am really hoping to meet some MDC minded parents down there...we have one son who will be 3 in May. I'm starting to get worried that I'm going to be all alone down there and not know anyone with similar views as us!!

Aileah
Old 03-04-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Aileah, there really are tons of natural-family-living folks here in Flagstaff. In fact I'd say most people here are like minded! The Hip Mamas group will be a great start for you and if we keep this thread visible I think we will find more here too!

Where are you moving from?

Old 03-11-2009, 01:35 PM

I'll be moving from Portland, OR. I lived in Flag a few years ago while attending NAU, then moved up here just before my son was born to be back with my family. Now we're moving back there so my boyfriend can go to NAU and we can live near his family again I actually am a "member" of the meetup group but find that format so hard to follow and be engaged in...I think because there's just not a lot of discussion on there, mostly talk about actual events which of course I can't really attend yet!

I just formed a new Yahoo group for Flagstaff that I'm hoping to get off the ground too, Flagstaff Green Living. I'm not on the Mothering boards a lot but try to check the AZ thread every once in a while to see if there's any Flag posts...we'll also be looking for a good ND for our son once we get there. We don't have any insurance so someone who's not to $$$ would be nice, if you have any suggestions.

Maybe we can get together and meet this summer when I'm in town. How old is your daughter?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

That would be great! my daughter is 6 months old right now. I have been going hiking once a week with some women who have children about your son's age though, so it would be fun for you to meet them too. The hikes have been "kid hikes" over near our houses on the east side of town.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

hi aileah, i saw your hip mamas post today...did you see moran's post about the house for rent next door to her? dont know if you are looking or not, but it is right across the street from nau!

Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 AM

Oh great, I would love to do some kid-hiking with like-minded moms this summer! I did see Moran's post and was very intrigued, but I'm sure we'll only be able to afford an apartment there (as here). My nanny income just doesn't bring in enough money to live in a house! Though I do long for a yard...with a garden...and some chickens...one day, right?
Old 03-29-2009, 06:04 PM

Um, it says I last signed in here in Aug.'07. lol I've been coming by for some no-circ info lately though. Have been in Flag 3 years now, came from Alaska. Love it here! I have 2 boys, one started kindergarten at Pine Forest last fall.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

welcome, freewitheft! I love it here too. Definitely "home" for us. We've been here since 2000.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM

Hello! I just moved to Williams, AZ. I've only been here a week and have yet to explore much. We're going to check out the kid's hour at the library on Wed and eventually the pool when it's warm enough. Oddly enough there is no park in town (at least I don't think so). My daughter is 2 1/2 and we are both in need of new social opportunities. Flagstaff is a 30 min drive from here and I'd be happy to make the trip to connect with some of you in the near future. I also enjoy hiking and spending time in nature

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 AM

Hi Dara! I sewed a sling for you

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Alissa! I love my sling...use it all the time! I use both the one you sewed for me and the pocket sling you altered for me! So thanks

joy2grow...how often do you think you will come in to flagstaff? what brought you to williams?

Old 04-01-2009, 04:37 PM

I'd love to get out on a kid friendly hike sometime. I take my guys out in the woods a lot and was thinking I'd like to go with some other mamas one of these days.

I can't beleive Mckenna is six months already. Sheesh.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissybug View Post
I'd love to get out on a kid friendly hike sometime. I take my guys out in the woods a lot and was thinking I'd like to go with some other mamas one of these days.
:Can I come too:

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 04-01-2009, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

If you would believe it, she is 7 months now!

That kid hike I was doing begins in the Swiss Manor neighborhood, corner of Lugano and Matterhorn (I think that is the right street name), 4pm, Tuesdays. However, I can't make it for a while because now I'm doing Tuesday evening Music Together. But, we could certainly put together our own hike! What is a good time for anyone?

Old 04-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairy4tmama View Post
:Can I come too:
I was thinking of you guys today while we were romping around near a cattle pond tossing in any stick or rock the boys could lift : (Also James made a very lovely home for a cricket- it was so cute) Yes! We MUST go out together.

Dara (is it ok if I use your name on here? Would you rather I stick with your username?)- I'm flexible about timing, but tend to like weekday mornings after 9:30am. Isn't Music Together fun? I use the ideas I got in the 2 classes I took there with the boys still.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
I was thinking of you guys today while we were romping around near a cattle pond tossing in any stick or rock the boys could lift : (Also James made a very lovely home for a cricket- it was so cute) Yes! We MUST go out together.
How Sweet! I was just inspired by a post in HS and Beyond- and would love to start a walking ritual after breakfast. We were walking up to the pond off the urban trail pretty frequently last spring/summer. DS 1 almost always ends up falling in much to his.

I also know a mama who wants to start doing a nature day and spending the day out in the woods :a la out door preschool.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

Old 04-03-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
For such a hip town with lots of hip mamas (even a hip mama meetup group!), are there any MDC mamas around? Post here!
Hi fellow flag mamas, I suppose I should introduce myself. I have lived in flag for almost 13 years. I moved up here to attend NAU where I met my DH, we never intended to stay but we still havn't left! We have two boys 6 and 4 and a DD who turns 2 in a 2 weeks. I am homeschooling and WOH PT and watch one dc who is 3 4 days a week so most days I am a little :.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:05 PM

i want to come on some nature walks! but i work m-th anyway we could a friday morning or pm?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:57 AM

Mckennasmama: we came to Williams b/c DH got a job at The Grand Canyon, we'll be living here till housing on the rim opens up - likely a yr or so. I imagine I'll be coming to Flag at least 1/wk - right now Mon & Thurs, Fri are the best days to get together, but I am totally flexible. There's gonna be a big Easter egg hunt here in Williams this Sat, I'll be interested to see if any crunchy folk show up

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

sounds like friday mornings might be a good time to get together for a lot of folks. the weather may be questionable this friday though...maybe we could shoot for a week from friday?

Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM

I would love to get together a week from tomorrow - I'll get into a better rhythm of logging in daily to make sure I get the plan

Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM

I will be watching my friends kids that day (uh, that would be fairy4tmama's kids ), but I say go for it and hopefully that will lead to more chances for meeting up and getting our kids and ourselves outside. I doesn't have to be fixed to only that one day necessarily.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:50 AM

Hi, Here's another mdc Flagstaff mama. There are lots of open-minded parents here who are into attachment parenting, extended breastfeeding, healthy living, and healing. I love that some of you are getting together for nature hikes. My fam lives near Swiss Manor (Shadow Mt) and we are constantly out in the forest. Let me know if you'd like some more hiking buddies, we would love to meet you. I know the lissybug and I love your sewn artistry! Music Together is a huge part of our lives too (I used to teach it). My son goes to Pre-K at Pine Forest where an amazing group of families are connected.

Me and a wonderful Flagstaff mama have just started a meetup group to connect eco-minded folks. It's called Eco-Friendly Families. check it out:
http://www.meetup.com/Eco-Friendly-Families/

We have just started a gardening exchange in which families (14 parcipating)grow a crop of thier choice and then we all share our harvest. We are each researching our crop(s) and sharing the info on Eco-Friendly Families. We are all growing all sorts of foods in our gardens, just focusing on growing lots of the crop we choose. It feels great to grow food and learn within a support group.

Thanks so much and I hope to meet you soon. Take care.:
Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hi there Mama Lisa M! I should really sign up for that meetup group. I guess I hadn't yet because my inbox already stresses me out enough

I'm glad you are joining in on our mdc "tribe". How old are your kid(s)?

I would love to learn more about growing food here in Flagstaff. My compost pile is super ready, but I think I may need to wait until next year before I can actually tend to a garden. Right now I feel like trying to garden and keep one hand on my 7 month old would be too much for me you know? I could put her in the backpack while doing it though, so maybe I just need to learn more about how to do it and then I'll be ready to jump in!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:22 PM

So are we still on for getting together this Friday? The weather has been rather windy and cold the past couple of days so I'm not sure about hiking with kiddos - what do you all think?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM

It looks like this thread hasn't been active for a while but I thought I would chance it anyway! My family and I just moved here to Flagstaff 2 weeks ago, we have a 3 yr old girl and a surprise gender due October 8th :-P We are looking for families to meet in this area and some advice on the area too as we are so unfamiliar with it! Hope to meet some of you! :-)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi LeoneLover13,

You are right, this thread has not been active in forever!  Welcome to Flagstaff! My daughter is also 3 (just turned last Friday). Have you checked out the Hip Mamas group? It is a good source for connecting with other folks here in town.

dara

User Tag List