Queen Creek, AZ - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Utah, Arizona > Queen Creek, AZ
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 03:51 AM 02-25-2009
I'm moving there from Chandler next month (hopefully!!!) and since I haven't really made any lasting friendships since moving to AZ from CA 3.5 years ago, I'm going to use this relocation as an opportunity to meet some other moms. I am looking at the MOMS Club (Queen Creek) and also have found a couple interesting groups at Meetup.com. I can't seem to find a homeschooling group, though...was told there was one and it's disbanded? Anyway, if you have any info I'd love to hear it!

Thanks

Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 04:33 AM 02-25-2009
no info, but would be interested to hear what you find.

Which MOM group?

I just started looking yesterday but don't have time to followup with it yet.

My girls just turned 4 and I am not sending them to preschool next year. I am trying to find or start a smallish group of moms of 3-5 year olds who might want to do a preschool playgroup once a week. I started one in Alabama before we moved here and I also organized the toddler/waddler monthly playgroup for our twins club in Alabama.

How old are your children?

I am trying to plan my activities in the Queen Creek area to help save on my gas costs. We just moved from Alabama to Queen Creek at Christmastime.

Kristin
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 04:51 AM 02-25-2009
Oh, neat. I have a daughter who turned 4yo in January. (But just one LOL!) I also have a 2.5yo boy, 10yo boy and soon-to-be 14yo girl.

My little ones aren't likely going to formal preschool either, though I've considered it. I much prefer playgroups and cooperative projects to formal preschool.

The MOMS Club I was referring to is this:

http://www.momsclub.org/

There are apparently two chapters in the QC area. The way the boundaries are defined puts me in the original Queen Creek group. The other one has a presence on Meetup.com and describes the boundaries:

http://www.meetup.com/MOMS-Club-of-San-Tan-Corridor-AZ/

I'm familiar with the organization because I started two chapters, years ago in CA.

Then if you search Meetup.com there are a couple other QC groups with *lots* of family and SAHM activities. I believe I'm going to my first tomorrow. :

I am thinking I may have to start my own homeschool group out there though. Unless I can find some hidden gem not listed online anywhere.

If you want to e-mail me, feel free. I'd love to chat about things to do!

Oh, and welcome to AZ!
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 02:37 AM 02-26-2009
Thanks for the links! I was looking at 2 different "MOPS" (Mothers of Preschoolers groups) and hadn't yet come across the MOMs group.

I am in Johnson Ranch so if the difference in the groups you posted is geographical, I'd be in the San Tan one.

My girls just turned 4 in January too. We really looked at preschool options when we moved here and thought I'd found the perfect fit. (long story) Mostly I figured I'd not have them go to preschool as I have so enjoyed just being involved with them and being a SAHM (the other option was really perfect us but fell through).

When we lived in WI, I was a teacher and we knew when we had our family I'd be a SAHM. We've lived in Alabama the last several years and I was very active in the twins group there. I met a lot of great moms and formed some friendships I treasure and am keeping in touch with those moms/children. However all of the activities/moms lived 45-60 minutes away and that gets tough to do all the time. I am thinking of just joining a mom group since the moms who I really connected to the most were more like me (SAHM AND had certain desires to also teach/live our values with our children as far as making other choices in our daily lives). I think now that we are over the infant/toddler stages the twin connection isn't as important to me as is the parenting style. It seems to me like the moms group you linked would be a good fit for us. I'll have to compare that to the MOP group I found.

I would love to meet up sometime - let me know if you want to also.

March & April are kind of crazy busy for us - that is another reason why I am waiting to get involved with a mom group right now.

There is a moms like me phoenix message board that has a homeschool group. I posted there but it doesn't seem very active. I wonder if you'd have any better luck since you have more experience to share? Maybe someone might have a contact for you?

Keep in touch-
Kristin

PS. What part of QC are you moving to?
Becca951's Avatar Becca951 05:22 AM 02-26-2009
Don't mean to hijack a post....but I, too, have a 4 year old (turned 4 in December) that I am thinking about homeschooling next year (not liking the options up in our neck of the woods). I, too, would be interested in forming a group for my two girls to socialize with.

My Hailey is 4 and my Riley just turned 3. Would probably go ahead and start both of them on a personaized curriculum next fall.....

I am also lacking a good group of parents/moms to hang out with and most of the kiddos in my neighborhood are my stepsons' ages.....3rd/4th grade.

So....I'd love to be on the shortlist of potentials, too! I actually live in Pecan Creek but am willing to travel to join up with other preschoolers!
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 05:55 AM 02-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dip View Post
Thanks for the links! I was looking at 2 different "MOPS" (Mothers of Preschoolers groups) and hadn't yet come across the MOMs group.

<snip>
I would love to meet up sometime - let me know if you want to also.

March & April are kind of crazy busy for us - that is another reason why I am waiting to get involved with a mom group right now.

PS. What part of QC are you moving to?
Sounds great--would love to get together. March/April promise to be crazy here too with landscaping, moving, etc. But I'm always up for a quick park visit or coffee run. We will be in Pecan Creek South which is on Ocotillo/Ironwood (or whatever it's called that far south...I've only been there three times so far and can't keep the names straight). I got your e-mail so I'll keep in touch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca951 View Post
Don't mean to hijack a post....but I, too, have a 4 year old (turned 4 in December) that I am thinking about homeschooling next year (not liking the options up in our neck of the woods). I, too, would be interested in forming a group for my two girls to socialize with.

My Hailey is 4 and my Riley just turned 3. Would probably go ahead and start both of them on a personaized curriculum next fall.....

I am also lacking a good group of parents/moms to hang out with and most of the kiddos in my neighborhood are my stepsons' ages.....3rd/4th grade.

So....I'd love to be on the shortlist of potentials, too! I actually live in Pecan Creek but am willing to travel to join up with other preschoolers!
Welcome aboard, Becca...the more the merrier.

We're moving to Pecan Creek South (I hope...several things have fallen through for us so I'm afraid to sound too certain LOL). I have a 4th grade boy too.

This is really promising as we already have 6 littles ones we can get together (and mostly girls as my 2.5yo is a boy).
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 01:10 PM 02-26-2009
This sounds great-

We looked at some houses in Pecan Creek- seemed like a nice area.

I have some company that is coming in March but they haven't finalized the dates yet.

Let me know if you plan to get together - as soon as I know when my company is coming I can plan ahead.
KMK_Mama's Avatar KMK_Mama 05:24 AM 03-04-2009
Welcome to QC!!

I'm in the Ironwood/Ocotillo area as well...we've been out here for a little over 3 years. I've tried some of the playgroups and haven't been happy with them....I got so sick of the DRAMA! I'm not homeschooling, but I just wanted to say, Hello!
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 08:03 PM 03-04-2009
Went to a great preschool storytime at the Queen Creek library on Ellsworth & Ocotillo and then to the park-

maybe we can meet up sometime.
KMK_Mama's Avatar KMK_Mama 04:51 AM 03-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dip View Post
Went to a great preschool storytime at the Queen Creek library on Ellsworth & Ocotillo and then to the park-

maybe we can meet up sometime.
I just got a membership to the library. Although I thought the $50/year fee was quite ridiculous.

I really need to check the schedule for all the activities they have too. I haven't gotten around to that yet.
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 11:01 PM 04-11-2009
Hey QC Mamas!

Our house almost fell through but we finally closed about a week ago (phew!) and now we're trying to get moved (there's so much to do!). Just wanted to reconnect so we can get-together soon.

$50 to use the library? Is that the one in QC that's part of MCLD or another? Cause I have a MCLD card and it was free. LOL
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 03:58 AM 04-15-2009
I did join the San Tan MOM group but have been busy with family visiting so I haven't been able to attend much yet. I like the women & children I have met there so far.

& yes the library is in Maricopa County so if you already have a card -KEEP IT!

pm me when you get settled if you want to meet up sometime.
KMK_Mama's Avatar KMK_Mama 05:00 AM 04-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Hey QC Mamas!

Our house almost fell through but we finally closed about a week ago (phew!) and now we're trying to get moved (there's so much to do!). Just wanted to reconnect so we can get-together soon.

$50 to use the library? Is that the one in QC that's part of MCLD or another? Cause I have a MCLD card and it was free. LOL
Yeah, the library is in Maricopa which is why I had to pay a fee. Even though it's the closest library to me and I'm only 5-10 minutes away, I am in Pinal. : They assured me that everyone has to pay for the library through taxes, I just had to pay in cash instead. Uhm, yeah lady but I had to pay in cash AND in taxes. LOL
azfiresmbm's Avatar azfiresmbm 10:19 PM 04-20-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMK_Mama View Post
Yeah, the library is in Maricopa which is why I had to pay a fee. Even though it's the closest library to me and I'm only 5-10 minutes away, I am in Pinal. : They assured me that everyone has to pay for the library through taxes, I just had to pay in cash instead. Uhm, yeah lady but I had to pay in cash AND in taxes. LOL
Thought I'd chime in , I work with the city of Queen Creek and get asked this question ALOT !

Even though your mail and such say you live in Queen Creek you really don't .

People whole live in Pinal County but have the name Queen Creek,, don't really live in the town of Queen Creek .
The U.S. post office gave you a town to better their postal service.

You live on Pinal County land (an unincorporated part of the county)

All your taxes go to Pinal County (not the town of Queen Creek)
So you do not pay taxes to help our library or fire or police !!
Your taxes do not support Maricopa county
Your taxes support Pinal county
Your taxes pay for Pinal County library , fire , police , etc ..
This is why you pay a fee to use Maricopa County facilities.
You can go to the Apache Junction library or Coolige library or Casa Grande library and not pay a fee because they are based in Pinal County .
KMK_Mama's Avatar KMK_Mama 10:04 PM 04-23-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiresmbm View Post
Thought I'd chime in , I work with the city of Queen Creek and get asked this question ALOT !

People whole live in Pinal County but have the name Queen Creek,, don't really live in the town of Queen Creek .

You can go to the Apache Junction library or Coolige library or Casa Grande library and not pay a fee because they are based in Pinal County .
I know, but it was still $50. I wasn't arguing and trying to get out of paying it, she was telling me that I don't pay for the library through taxes and I do, but those libraries are TOO FAR for me.
arnellathon's Avatar arnellathon 10:30 PM 07-16-2009
Hi Shellie! I was ridiculously pleased to read your post. We moved here from San Diego 5 years ago and also have yet to make lasting friendships - maybe we can hang out? I have two sons, age 13 and 7 months (quite the age span, I know!) Where in Johnson Ranch are you? I'm in Torrey Park, half way between Walker Butte and Indigo Sky pool. Can't wait to hear from you!
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 07:00 AM 11-08-2009
Hi Ladies

Things got crazy right after we moved and I haven't popped in here in ages! I am definitely interested in making new friends--I've had a huge hiccup in our social lives due to H1N1 (long story involving my medically fragile dd) but we are trying to choose activities that don't directly expose her to other kids in an enclosed situation.

Just thought I'd post and see if anyone from this area is still active and possibly meeting up!
Mama2Rio's Avatar Mama2Rio 06:34 PM 11-08-2009
Hi Shellie... i too, just moved to Johnson Ranch, and really don't know anyone out here! We moved from chandler about 2 months ago. maybe we can start some kind of ap moms group out here, which i really would love to do, but i don't have the funding to start something on meetup ... so maybe we can use mdc to start some meetups/playgroup or something. My dd is 16 months old, very active and loves other kids...
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 09:06 PM 11-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfiresmbm View Post

So funny that you should mention this because a few months ago they changed our city to "San Tan Valley." It's so odd to be so close to QC and do a lot of our shopping, etc. there but not be eligible for any of the services, etc. I did get my $50 library card through MCLD. I have no idea where the closest Pinal Cty library is.
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 09:07 PM 11-08-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Rio View Post
Hi Shellie... i too, just moved to Johnson Ranch, and really don't know anyone out here! We moved from chandler about 2 months ago. maybe we can start some kind of ap moms group out here, which i really would love to do, but i don't have the funding to start something on meetup ... so maybe we can use mdc to start some meetups/playgroup or something. My dd is 16 months old, very active and loves other kids...
Hey, do you want to co-mod something on meetup for AP moms? I already have an account there and would not cost a cent more to add another group. LMK There are some great groups out here but I'd especially love an AP group.

It sounds like you and I moved from the same general area.
Mama2Rio's Avatar Mama2Rio 02:40 AM 11-09-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
Hey, do you want to co-mod something on meetup for AP moms? I already have an account there and would not cost a cent more to add another group. LMK There are some great groups out here but I'd especially love an AP group.

It sounds like you and I moved from the same general area.
sure... i'll pm you with my info....
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 04:27 AM 11-10-2009
I am crazy busy in November, but I did want to mention that I did join the moms club of San Tan Corridor. I really like it. The moms have all been very welcoming and supoortive. They have a lot of great activities each month - playdates, aprk dates, storytimes, cooking club, book club, Spanish Kids club, craft club and much more. You can bring your children to the meetings, to all the events (except a once a month moms night out). What is so cool too is that most of the acitivites are in Johnson Ranch, San Tan Heights, Copper Basin and other very local places so you aren't driving all over the place.

You can attend a few events before joining to see if it feels like a good fit for you and your little ones... just thought I'd mention it since I enjoy the group so much. http://www.meetup.com/MOMS-Club-of-San-Tan-Corridor-AZ
oh and there hasn't been any "drama" there that I am aware of - I have never heard anyone say anything "catty" or behind anyone's back ever - a pretty neat group of mommas if you ask me!
bluelightblues's Avatar bluelightblues 11:06 PM 01-20-2010
Hi ladies, my cousin and her dh moved to QC and she is feeling a bit overwhelmed by her new baby. Her internet's down at the moment, but she is looking for a chiro and just overall doing the new mom craziness. Can you recommend any new mom-supportive playgroup or LLL group maybe to help her out? We're talking a lot more than we have in years, which is so great, she's very open and curious, but I know getting a chance to be around other supportive moms in person would be great.

pm me with suggestions if you want, the suggestions above are great but seem to be more for play-age babies. . . Thanks so much!
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 01:37 PM 01-21-2010
The group I mentioned above really IS a great moms group & 3 of the moms have babies under 6 months age plus a lot of other moms with various age kiddos. It is the MOMs club of San Tan Corridor - not sure exactly where she is located. Our group is specifically for moms in San Tan Valley.

Also being a SAHM group they are very supportive of breastfeeding & encourage moms to bring breastfed babies even to the once a month moms night out. (BTW-I breast fed my twins until they were 27 months.) Kids are welcome at ALL events during the week - even the monthly meeting.

She can bring a baby to many of the events & will find support and fun at events like cooking club, book club, mommy craft time & more!

Our group is about to move its website - but you/she can check out the above link until the end of January.

PM me if you want more information....I just really like this group. I have never met such a nice group of women in "real life" that are so friendly & nice. I have never heard anyone speak about anyone else negatively & have always felt so welcome.
tristansmom's Avatar tristansmom 09:11 AM 03-13-2010
Hi Everyone!

I wanted to let you know that there is a Queen Creek LLL meeting that meets at Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church at Ellsworth and Ocotillo. 10 a.m. every 3rd Wednesday of the month. There is a building of classrooms behind the main church building and the meeting is on the south side of that building.

I am also in Pecan Creek (North).
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 04:38 AM 03-17-2010
Thanks for the tip!!!

My youngest weaned last summer or I'd be all over that LLL meeting!
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 01:16 PM 03-31-2010
Hi ladies - me again

I just wanted you to know that MOMS club of San Tan Corridor (you can find us on meet up) is having an "open house" on Friday April 16th at 12:30 at Circle Cross Ranch park (near the intersection of Gary & Empire) near Cirlce Cross Ranch school. It is a nice park with sand area, toddler play area, big kid play area & picnic tables, concrete path for bikes/scooters & bathrooms.

We just want to meet moms in the area who may be looking for fun and activities for themselves & their children in the San Tan Valley area.

BTW the first 10 children will receive a free bicycle helmet, there will be lemonade & snacks.

The group is a variety of moms with kids in all ranges (we have pregnant moms, moms of new borns, toddlers, preschoolers, elementary & even "big" kids) whom I've found are very supportive & fun. We do park play dates, kids craft clubs, cooking club, book clubs, Spanish kids club, pool parties in the summer, various outings, community outreach projects & more.

Say hi to me if you come- I'll be the one with the twin 5 year old girls

Oh & I live in Johnson Ranch - maybe I'll see you at the park or pool sometime
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 06:30 PM 03-31-2010
Oh, how neat! I actually have been in the process of trying to join but can't seem to get in touch with anyone (I got an e-mail that they hadn't been able to get in touch with me by phone). Hopefully I can join soon.

I can't believe it's been over a year since I started this thread! Practically seems like yesterday. I met one mama from here and she's in my Meetup group--have only had a chance to meet her once but it was really fun (hi Serena!). We joined the YMCA late-January but have been so swamped we haven't really had a chance to get involved. It's been a crazy time since we moved but I'm trying to simplify and get things settled down. 4/9 is our 1 year anniversary in our home.
Shellie's Avatar Shellie 08:10 AM 04-04-2010
It was so nice to meet you, Double Dip! (I remember your name but in case you don't share it online, I'm not putting it in print!) My kids had a blast--K and D could not stop talking about it all day because they had so much fun.
Double Dip's Avatar Double Dip 02:43 AM 04-15-2010
Shellie-

Yes, absolutely It was nice to meet you and your children! The girls talked about K and still do, they hope to play with her again some time and some of their stuffed animals have been "renamed" in her honor ...heeheehee... so cute!

It has been crazy here, we had 13 people at our house over the Easter Holidays - they all arrived the Saturday before Easter Sunday. It has been busy here to say the least. They left on this last Sunday after staying a week. I am still trying to catch up on getting things back in order and back into our routine.

I hope to see you again some time.
1 2 

Up