Tucson/Oro valley homeschool? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-15-2009, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! We just moved to Tucson and are starting our homeschool adventure a little bit early ( no preschools taking kids right now...so instead of starting in fall, we are starting in spring). My kids are a little young (3 and almost 5) so I'm not sure how many other kids their ages there are in some groups.

Can you tell me anything about homeschooling in Tucson? We live in Oro Valley and I'm already sick of the drive down Oracle (we were in temp housing on the east side and it took us 40 minutes each way to get to our house)...so I'd love to know of some things to do up here.

Are there any groups that accept younger kids? Art classes? Gymnastics? Anything we can do to get out and meet people? My poor little girl is already insisting she won't make any friends because nobody showed up on our door the first day to play

I'd love to hear your input.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#2 of 9 Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome.

There is a Tucson playgroup look under the arizona tribe area. Many of us have kids in the 3 to 4 year range with infants. There are some older kids and some toddlers. However, we tend to hang out in central Tucson.

I don't know anything about religious homeschooling, but the non-religious groups are SDH--Sonoran Desert Homeschoolers and an unschooling group-Soaring Unschoolers. You can google both. SDH has park days on Tuesdays. We don't go because there was a bit more weapon play than I'm interested in. They used to have a Thursday park day on the NW side and the kids were younger, but the one time we went there were older kids with weapons so it turned me off. We haven't gotten too involved in the unschooling group mainly because of scheduling conflicts and now we're pretty involved with the mdc playgroup.

The local libraries all hold storytimes that are quite nice. The only library I know of on that side of town is around Ina Rd. It's the Nanini library (?spelling.) The Tucson Parks dept. opens itself to county residents and they have some good art programs but I don't know what they have on your side of town. Some of the gyms around town have open gym for pre-schoolers.

Sorry I can't give you more info on Oro Valley, but I live in the UA area.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 9 Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I just might have to learn to deal with the roads and go out for a visit, eh?

Thank you for your help...I guess starting homeschooling and moving across the country IN THE SAME WEEK probably isn't the most zen thing I could do...

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#4 of 9 Old 03-17-2009, 04:22 PM

Hi Rachel, and Welcome!

We are Unschoolers in town and involved in both SDH and SOARing. We really enjoy Tuesday park day and have a lot of fun activities with the unschoolers. Those are both quite a drive though.

Tucson parks and rec has a lot of classes for younger kids and there are locations on your side of town. I would look for a gymnastics place over there and find open gym times. Library story times is a great idea too.

Good Luck!

blogging.jpg 
#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM

Great thread - I live on the NW side of Tucson (that little sliver between Oro Valley and Marana), and with all the budget cut talks going on (and the ridiculously high cost of private schooling), I am thinking even more about homeschooling, too.

There is a homeschooling group that meets at Riverfront Park (east of La Canada and Lambert) every Friday. I know they are religious - their name is Christian Home Educators of Tucson. I checked out their website and their views don't really match up with mine, but they seem very nice. I chatted with them one day, that's how I got this information. Not sure what your beliefs are, but check them out and see if that might be a good fit!

Good luck and welcome to Tucson!
#6 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Kiki....the site won't let me post a PM to you right now but saw your blog about kindergarten being all day.

We just moved here from Houston and I finally decided to put my daughter in a preschool for the rest of the year here (well, until May) so that we could all adjust to being here and hopefully give her a chance to make a few friends while I regain my "my house needs to be unpacked" sanity.

There's a preschool off Magee that does half day Kindergarten--- it is private and religious but they only do chapel maybe once a month...so I don't think it is too religious. They said the tuition would end up being about $200 a month.

PM if you'd like to chat! Your daughter is adorable!

#7 of 9 Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM

Going to send you a PM right now
#8 of 9 Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Hey Kiki....the site won't let me post a PM to you right now but saw your blog about kindergarten being all day.

We just moved here from Houston and I finally decided to put my daughter in a preschool for the rest of the year here (well, until May) so that we could all adjust to being here and hopefully give her a chance to make a few friends while I regain my "my house needs to be unpacked" sanity.

There's a preschool off Magee that does half day Kindergarten--- it is private and religious but they only do chapel maybe once a month...so I don't think it is too religious. They said the tuition would end up being about $200 a month.

PM if you'd like to chat! Your daughter is adorable!
My mother in law works in the Marana school district and she said the schools are all going back to half day Kindy because of budget cuts.

blogging.jpg 
#9 of 9 Old 03-27-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
My mother in law works in the Marana school district and she said the schools are all going back to half day Kindy because of budget cuts.
Interesting... I am pretty much stalking the online news every other day to see what news there is about MUSD cuts. I guess they have to unveil it all by June, so we'll see what happens.

I did read that mothers are all up in arms about the possibility of half day kindy. I guess I can see the appeal - learning more and going into 1st grade with more info. But it just seems like such a long day for such little kiddos.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page