Stuff to do with a young toddler in Tucson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am (kind of) new to Tucson, we moved here from England last summer. Now that Samuel is of the age where he can do more things (he is walking etc) I would like to know what kind of stuff there is to do in Tucson. Is there a baby music group at all? We went to one in England and even though he was tiny then, he LOVED it!

We live on DM AFB

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#2 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome. Check out the other threads for our Tucson playgroup.

The Parks and Recreation department offers "movers and shakers" starting at 6 months. Also, summer swimming lessons are coming up. They are more about familiarizing your baby with the water than teaching them swimming or safety. It's a lottery system so you may not get picked, but it's only $2 for 2 weeks--or was in the past. Once your child is two there will be all kinds of art classes available--unless the city cuts back for budgetary reasons.

We have both musictogether and kindermusik in town. I forget which separates more by age, I think kindermusik (I haven't taken their classes.) My son enjoyed musictogether until he was about 2, then he got bored. We discovered that the UA offers music classes starting at 2. He likes these a lot more because they are more energized, more movement. We are mid-way through the spring class and another class will start in September. They are only $65 for 10 classes. The instructor's name is Shelley Cooper.

The libraries offer story time. Your little one would attend toddler time. They sing, read books, dance, and do a craft.

The gymnastic places have open time for little ones. We go to Old Pueblo Gym on the east side. They're more expensive than movers and shakers. For my 3 year old it's worth the money. For an 18 month old movers and shakers may be better.

I think there's a place near Miracle Mile that has all kinds of blow up stuff to play on, but we've never been there.

I'm sure I'm missing stuff, but the above is what we did.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

OOOh thanks. I saw they did a Kindermusik class on the base here, but it had 14 places for this huge base, which is rubbish!

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#4 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 12:55 AM

Hi, there!

We moved from England to Tucson, too!

We take our kids to the zoo, the Tucson Botanical Garden, Sabino Canyon, to the Edith Ball Swimming Pool in Reid Park, swimming classes, and Waldorf playgroups.

We went to Tumble Tots and music classes in England, but have never tried equivalents here...
#5 of 11 Old 03-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogreencars View Post
We take our kids to ... and Waldorf playgroups.
Can you tell me more about the waldorf groups? How are they run, where are they, what do they cost?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 11 Old 03-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
Can you tell me more about the waldorf groups? How are they run, where are they, what do they cost?
We've gone to ones at the Waldorf School - you sign up for a session and it's pricey - $15 for 2 hours.

I've run them, too, and am about to start a new session - just for the cost of food and materials. PM me if you'd like more information.
#7 of 11 Old 03-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Ooh, I'd be curious to know more about those, too!

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#8 of 11 Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Hi, twogreencars, I'd love to hear more about your Waldorf playgroup and poss. join with my 20 mo. old, but your PM acct. is full. If you're still open to this, please reply to the thread! Thanks!
#9 of 11 Old 02-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Hi there!

You should check out Kindermusik, the world's leading program for music for 0-7 yrs. Tucson has several locations. I direct Kindermusik at Musical Steps Academy on the east side at 8625 E Tanque Verde Rd, and we have ongoing classes for babies, toddlers, preschoolers and afterschool classes.Musical Steps has received the Maestro Award from for being one of the top 5% of programs world-wide.

Kindermusik is so much fun for you and your child, stimulating their total development through songs, dances, instrument play and more. 

You can come and try a free class anytime by emailing marytrudy@gmail.com or calling 885-3362.

The website is kindermusikwithmary.com or click :http://musicalsteps.yourvirtuoso.com

Mary Rudy, Director

Musical Steps Academy

www.kindermusikwithmary.com

#10 of 11 Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Just to let you know- we have baby Kindermusik classes on Mondays at 9:00 am or Fridays at 11:30 am. You are welcome to come to either an dtry out a free class. Your baby will love it!

Mary Rudy

Musical Steps Academy

www.kindermusikwithmary.com

520-885-3362 

#11 of 11 Old 02-09-2011, 06:21 AM

I have a 16 month old and we've just started doing activities around town as well. We recently went to the Tucson Children's Museum which is a lot of fun little ones. There is also Gymboree which has music and movement classes. We have yet to try it though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page