C.N.M Salt Lake, Utah County area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 06-22-2009, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,

My DH and I have been undergoing extensive fertility treatments. We are finally pregnant after doing a round of IVF. We are now looking for a good C.N.M. In the northern Utah county, south salt lake area. We will probably be having multiples and so will be delivering in a hospital. We have been checking out Julie Jones, Paula Thacker, and Margy Batson. Does anyone have any experience with these three? I have found very few reviews on any of them and none on Paula.

I was looking at Rebecca Williams, but she only delivers at homes and in her birth center. Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks
#2 of 21 Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnew? View Post
Hello ladies,

My DH and I have been undergoing extensive fertility treatments. We are finally pregnant after doing a round of IVF. We are now looking for a good C.N.M. In the northern Utah county, south salt lake area. We will probably be having multiples and so will be delivering in a hospital. We have been checking out Julie Jones, Paula Thacker, and Margy Batson. Does anyone have any experience with these three? I have found very few reviews on any of them and none on Paula.

I was looking at Rebecca Williams, but she only delivers at homes and in her birth center. Any suggestions or experiences?

Thanks
Congrats!!! I don't have any names for you, but I do wonder if CNM are allowed to birth multiples in UT...? I do know of 2 OBs (but not their names, but I could get those for you) who do natural multiple in hospital births.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 21 Old 06-22-2009, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Congrats!!! I don't have any names for you, but I do wonder if CNM are allowed to birth multiples in UT...? I do know of 2 OBs (but not their names, but I could get those for you) who do natural multiple in hospital births.

I know you have to birth multiples in the hospital in Utah, but I thought you were allowed to use a CNM. I will have to check on it some more. I would love the names, thank you.
#4 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 12:41 AM

Here is what my midwife said:

Quote:
Margy Batson CNM is who I would suggest for a natural twin birth. She's with Alpine Medical and births at Salt Lake Regional.

The little midwife group at LDS may also attend twins.
Our ped. is also with Alpine Medical, and I like everyone in that clinic that I've met so far

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#5 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 12:48 AM

Unless things have changed recently, CNMs are allowed to deliver multiples in Utah. My homebirth midwife even does twins.

I don't know anything about the midwives you listed. I had my first baby with the Mount Timpanogos CNMs and delivered at American Fork Hospital. It was a fairly good experience. That was 12 years ago though--I don't have any idea what it's like today.

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#6 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 01:41 AM

My neighbor saw Julie Jones and just raves about her. I wasn't super impressed by the midwives at Mt. Timp, but I know lots of mamas here like them.
#7 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
My neighbor saw Julie Jones and just raves about her. I wasn't super impressed by the midwives at Mt. Timp, but I know lots of mamas here like them.

I have heard horror stories about the doctors who provide backup at Mt. Timp. I would never go there for that reason.
#8 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM

My sis had her baby with Julie Jones last month and she was really great. I used Rebecca Williams last time and LOVED her, but like you said she only does bc or home.

Kara mommy to Jason 9/27/04 ribboncesarean.gif, Jacob 6/1/06 vbac.gif, Nathan 11/13/08 ribboncesarean.gif, and twin boys Isaac and Caleb born 1/10/11 vbac.gif
#9 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Julie Jones is my CNM

I have nothing but great things to say about her. She totally let me labor how I wanted and was awesome with respecting me and DH. The hospital staff wasn't quite as accomodating...but that is another story

Love going to her office- I never feel rushed or like I am a number. I would definitely check her out...

Julie; happily married mamma to Wyatt (4) and Jonah (1.5)
#10 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 02:24 PM

I've heard really good things about Julie Jones as well. I'd recommend contacting a doula in the area who has experience with the different providers and hospitals. I know some of my doula friends say the like Julie though.

Also, just fyi, unlicensed midwives can attend homebirths of multiples
#11 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Yes, also heard good things about Julie Jones, although never met her personally.

And another yes, you can have a CPM/DEM attended homebirth with multiples, both of my m/w's had done that many times
#12 of 21 Old 06-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoKnew? View Post
I have heard horror stories about the doctors who provide backup at Mt. Timp. I would never go there for that reason.
You know, I think that's why I didn't like the midwives. I could just tell that their practice was tainted by bad Docs. FTR, I only went to them once to get an IUD out and would not consider going to them again. I was really put off by the huge high-end anti-wrinkle cream display in the waiting area.
#13 of 21 Old 06-24-2009, 12:51 AM - Thread Starter

Also, just fyi, unlicensed midwives can attend homebirths of multiples [/QUOTE]

Oh, you are right. I got a bit confused. Thank you.
#14 of 21 Old 06-24-2009, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrariety View Post
I was really put off by the huge high-end anti-wrinkle cream display in the waiting area.
Lol! I hear that!
#15 of 21 Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=tappinerp;13980248]

The hospital staff wasn't quite as accomodating...but that is another story
QUOTE]

Oh c'mon. Do tell? Was this IMC?
#16 of 21 Old 06-24-2009, 11:08 AM

It might be a pain in the butt for you, but the CNM practice at the U of U is amazing. They have an office out of West valley that might be closer for you. The bonus is that the U was recently certified baby-friendly. I know that two of the CNM's at Birthcare healthcare recently had homebirths and there's a third that attended both of those births. One of them wrote me a rhogam rx for my last homebirth because I'm rh negative. They are great if you feel like making a drive.

Violin teaching, doula-ing Mom to Abby, (8) Ashlynn, (6) : and Max (11/13/08) Diagnosed with Metopic Craniosynostosis. First surgery 5/1/09, Second surgery March 2010.
#17 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacymom View Post
It might be a pain in the butt for you, but the CNM practice at the U of U is amazing. They have an office out of West valley that might be closer for you. The bonus is that the U was recently certified baby-friendly. I know that two of the CNM's at Birthcare healthcare recently had homebirths and there's a third that attended both of those births. One of them wrote me a rhogam rx for my last homebirth because I'm rh negative. They are great if you feel like making a drive.

West Valley would definitely be closer than the U. I think my husband and I will be happy to leave that drive behind after going to the reproductive center at the U for fertility treatments all of this time. They sound like a great group though. It sounds like there are quite a few CNMs that prefer birth center or home births. Thanks for the referral.
#18 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the ladies who responded. I really appreciate your advice and the time you took to respond. I made an appointment with Paula, who is Julie's back-up. They work at the same health center, so I will be meeting both of them.

This is a really friendly, helpful group and I thank you!
#19 of 21 Old 06-25-2009, 01:36 PM

Sorry for not responding earlier- I didn't have computer access the last day or so

No, it wasn't at IMC- it was at Cottonwood Hospital (which no longer exists). I have no idea if the staff has moved over to IMC- I assume so.

That said- I will deliver this next kiddo at IMC. Depending on your due date, Julie/Paula will deliver at the new hospital in Riverton... so keep that in mind

The hospital nursing staff. So, they weren't awful- they just really didn't get what it meant to have a Hypnobirth. Despite my husband and Julie's efforts they kept coming in to monitor me, check on my progress, etc. I am strongly considering lining up a doula just to help run interference this time. Luckily, I was there over a rotation in nursing staff, and the second L/D nurse was a gazillion times better. I wasn't a huge fan of the nursing staff that worked with me once ds had arrived either. I finally just checked out early b/c they were bugging me

It wasn't awful, just not what I had hoped for, but that was a few years ago and some of the nurses were great. Others, not so great. Everyone has a bad day- maybe I just got a nurse on her bad day? And hopefully as more woman are advocating for natural birth there is a better understanding by hospital staff? (I know- hopeful thinking!)

Regardless, glad to hear you have an appointment with Paula. I just met her this week and she seems great too!

#20 of 21 Old 06-27-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tappinerp View Post
Sorry for not responding earlier- I didn't have computer access the last day or so

No, it wasn't at IMC- it was at Cottonwood Hospital (which no longer exists). I have no idea if the staff has moved over to IMC- I assume so.

That said- I will deliver this next kiddo at IMC. Depending on your due date, Julie/Paula will deliver at the new hospital in Riverton... so keep that in mind

The hospital nursing staff. So, they weren't awful- they just really didn't get what it meant to have a Hypnobirth. Despite my husband and Julie's efforts they kept coming in to monitor me, check on my progress, etc. I am strongly considering lining up a doula just to help run interference this time. Luckily, I was there over a rotation in nursing staff, and the second L/D nurse was a gazillion times better. I wasn't a huge fan of the nursing staff that worked with me once ds had arrived either. I finally just checked out early b/c they were bugging me

It wasn't awful, just not what I had hoped for, but that was a few years ago and some of the nurses were great. Others, not so great. Everyone has a bad day- maybe I just got a nurse on her bad day? And hopefully as more woman are advocating for natural birth there is a better understanding by hospital staff? (I know- hopeful thinking!)

Regardless, glad to hear you have an appointment with Paula. I just met her this week and she seems great too!
Oh, that is so good to hear you met Paula and had a good first impression. I will be delivering at the new hospital in Riverton. I have been searching for information on it and can't seem to find anything. Is it open yet? Do you know if it has a neonatal unit? Thanks again for responding and for telling me your birth story.
#21 of 21 Old 06-29-2009, 01:45 PM

It isn't open yet... I think it is scheduled to open in November. I am not sure about the neonatal unit--- you can google Intermountain Health Care, in the search engine type Riverton Hospital and it should pop up some more detailed information for you

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page