best hope for natural childbirth in tucson hospital? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hey mamas,

I know this has been covered in threads before, but I can't find them and I'm tired.

a good friend of mine is on the verge of being risked out of the birth center in tucson. i've heard baaad things about tmc, and an wondering if i can advise her to move her care elsewhere. she is about 34 weeks.

ideas?

thanks

sarah
#2 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm confused. Just because she's at too high a risk to deliver at the birthing center shouldn't mean that she has to completely switch health care providers. Don't her current health care providers deliver elsewhere?

If they only deliver at TMC, although not ideal, I would stick with my health care providers and deliver there but, just make sure they are aware of my birth plan/wishes ahead of time and make sure I had someone with me to advocate on my behalf.

I would think it would be really hard to find health care providers willing to take on a woman that far into her pregnancy. And, it seems unnecessary if she likes her providers but just has to deliver elsewhere.
#3 of 19 Old 07-11-2009, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I haven't heard good things about TMC, so if it's looking likely that she'll end up there, I was wondering if it would be worth her trying to go elsewhere. But you're probably right about no one wanting to take her this late in the pregnancy.... I was just trying to brainstorm!
#4 of 19 Old 07-12-2009, 12:40 AM

From what I've heard, the birthing center here has a 55 % c section rate and its a horrible place for women wanting natural birth. I haven't heard any good things about any of the hospitals either. If were her, I would get a doula, its not to late. That may be her only shot at a natural birth.

Veda 9/06
#5 of 19 Old 07-13-2009, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiaz View Post
From what I've heard, the birthing center here has a 55 % c section rate and its a horrible place for women wanting natural birth. I haven't heard any good things about any of the hospitals either. If were her, I would get a doula, its not to late. That may be her only shot at a natural birth.
I'm not sure where you heard that. Unless things have gone totally wacko since El Rio took them over, the birth center has the lowest c/s rate in town. I had an amazing experience there when I birthed my baby 3.5 years ago.

I took nursing students to St. Joe's a couple years ago. Couldn't wait to get out of there. My adopted baby was born at NW. The nursery nurses were really wonderful, but I've heard they have a high c/s rate. Really, that depends on your provider, not the hospital. Jen has horrible stories about UMC when K was born. I worked NICU at both TMC and UMC 20 years ago. If I had a baby with problems, I would go to UMC. I don't think things have changed that much in 20 years, though I could be wrong.

If I were your friend, I'd stick with the midwives from the birth center and deliver at TMC. Unless she thinks the baby might have problems, then I'd have the baby at UMC.

ETA: I've spent time either working as a nurse, taking students as their instructor or interviewed for a nursing job at at every birthing hospital in Tucson. It's not a great city for having babies. I interviewed at NW and liked the nurse manager there, but that was 4 years ago and I think she may have left. I worked at the birth center in the late 80s and had my baby there 3.5 years ago. It was great, but that was before El Rio.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 19 Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
I'm not sure where you heard that. Unless things have gone totally wacko since El Rio took them over, the birth center has the lowest c/s rate in town. I had an amazing experience there when I birthed my baby 3.5 years ago.

I took nursing students to St. Joe's a couple years ago. Couldn't wait to get out of there. My adopted baby was born at NW. The nursery nurses were really wonderful, but I've heard they have a high c/s rate. Really, that depends on your provider, not the hospital. Jen has horrible stories about UMC when K was born. I worked NICU at both TMC and UMC 20 years ago. If I had a baby with problems, I would go to UMC. I don't think things have changed that much in 20 years, though I could be wrong.

If I were your friend, I'd stick with the midwives from the birth center and deliver at TMC. Unless she thinks the baby might have problems, then I'd have the baby at UMC.

ETA: I've spent time either working as a nurse, taking students as their instructor or interviewed for a nursing job at at every birthing hospital in Tucson. It's not a great city for having babies. I interviewed at NW and liked the nurse manager there, but that was 4 years ago and I think she may have left. I worked at the birth center in the late 80s and had my baby there 3.5 years ago. It was great, but that was before El Rio.
It is within the recent few years that the Birthing Center has changed. Every story that comes out of there now is usually negative, sadly enough.

Veda 9/06
#7 of 19 Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM

I had my son all natural at Northwest. For a hospital I really liked it. I had my daughter at TMC and I would choose Morthwst over TMC for sure! I like Northwest because it is a new facility and is not inside or attatched to the actual hospital. It is a seperate building so you do not share the hospital germs.
#8 of 19 Old 07-14-2009, 07:40 PM

TMC was a miserable experience for me, despite the fact that I was **** delivered by my Birth Center midwife. I hope your friend finds a good alternative. My sister was happy with her NW experience, but it was with a midwife too.

blogging.jpg 
#9 of 19 Old 07-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Okay even last year the c-section rate wasn't 55%. I only went there briefly for prenatal care and the c-section rate was VERY low. Now the transfer rate was about 55%, which I think is the stat that got lost in translation--and that is a little up from when my son was born there, and that's thanks to the backing doctors. But no, the C-section rate is nowhere near that high for the birth center.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#10 of 19 Old 07-15-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Okay even last year the c-section rate wasn't 55%. I only went there briefly for prenatal care and the c-section rate was VERY low. Now the transfer rate was about 55%, which I think is the stat that got lost in translation--and that is a little up from when my son was born there, and that's thanks to the Obstetrix backing doctors. But no, the C-section rate is nowhere near that high for the birth center.
My bad, sorry. Got the stats confused. But imho, 55% transfer is way to high anyway. Most transfers are due to lack of experience or impatience.

Veda 9/06
#11 of 19 Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
My bad, sorry. Got the stats confused. But imho, 55% transfer is way to high anyway. Most transfers are due to lack of experience or impatience.
The transfer rate IS too high, but it's the doctors' lack of experience with the different ways a healthy normal birth can go, and yes, impatience and overly-stringient rules on the backing doctors part.

That is why the birth center isn't the way it was even several years ago. When another doctor and group backed the center, things went much more smoothly, the varying shades of "normal" for a birth were respected. Once that doctor retired and a different group stepped in, then that's when things really changed. If a delivery dosn't follow x, y, and z for a normal birth, a transfer has to take place...per doctor regulations. Sometimes they can get around certain things, other times they can't. It's sad that midwifery cannot be practiced fully as it should be there.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#12 of 19 Old 07-16-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
The transfer rate IS too high, but it's the doctors' lack of experience with the different ways a healthy normal birth can go, and yes, impatience and overly-stringient rules on the backing doctors part.

That is why the birth center isn't the way it was even several years ago. When another doctor and group backed the center, things went much more smoothly, the varying shades of "normal" for a birth were respected. Once that doctor retired and a different group stepped in, then that's when things really changed. If a delivery dosn't follow x, y, and z for a normal birth, a transfer has to take place...per doctor regulations. Sometimes they can get around certain things, other times they can't. It's sad that midwifery cannot be practiced fully as it should be there.
Exactly.

So which midwife did you have here? I had Lisa Block-Weiser. She was amazing!!!!!!!

Veda 9/06
#13 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 01:27 PM

I went out of town, with Billye Matthews and Stephanie Fritz. I loved them immensely and it was a wonderful experience. At the time of my daughter's birth, Lisa had left her practice, so I couldn't use her. Now I've heard she's back..yay!

#14 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I went out of town, with Billye Matthews and Stephanie Fritz. I loved them immensely and it was a wonderful experience. At the time of my daughter's birth, Lisa had left her practice, so I couldn't use her. Now I've heard she's back..yay!
She is back, thank god...She told me she's only seeing past clients or those who are referred and very serious about having a home birth. I don't think she's taking on such a large load anymore. My best friend, Jen, had her too. That was just before her and Lia went their separate ways. I got to be there and it was amazing being on the other of end of things. I've known some woman who have had Amy, the other homebirth midwife but they all transfered to hospitals cuz Amy isn't NEARLY even close to being as skilled as Lisa. Lisa can handle ANY situation. She's quite amazing!

Veda 9/06
#15 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
She is back, thank god...She told me she's only seeing past clients or those who are referred and very serious about having a home birth. I don't think she's taking on such a large load anymore. My best friend, Jen, had her too. That was just before her and Lia went their separate ways. I got to be there and it was amazing being on the other of end of things. I've known some woman who have had Amy, the other homebirth midwife but they all transfered to hospitals cuz Amy isn't NEARLY even close to being as skilled as Lisa. Lisa can handle ANY situation. She's quite amazing!
skilled how?

i have heard nothing but good things about amy's transfer rates and I had a wonderful homebirth with her. I personally know of quite a few women that had multiple, beautiful homebirths with her. I think its odd you would experience otherwise... all the threads here on mothering have been supportive of her and her skills as well.

Personally, I think all midwives have their benefits... every woman will respond differently to different personalities... you really have to go with who you feel most comfortable with.

As for lisa, I think there were some threads about her a while ago. sounds like lots of drama went down...

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#16 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

We can probably all agree that the best hope for a natural birth here in town is with one of our wonderful homebirth midwives!

My friend (about whom I started this post) is having baby #1 and just isn't all the way on board with birthing at home. It's looking like she won't be risked out at the birth center after all, so I've just got my fingers crossed that she'll be able to have a safe and happy birth there as she hopes.
#17 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Strange, I've only ever heard excellent things about Amy's care. It is hard to judge a midwife's 'skills' based on a few stories here and there.

Julia, mama to Bumpa 2008, and The Mole 2011

#18 of 19 Old 07-17-2009, 09:57 PM

I'm glad to hear positive stories about Amy but this is just the first time I have. I didn't mean to sound so negative about her. I'm new to these forums so I haven't seen the past posts about her. The last story I heard of her was from a girl who had Lisa. Her friend had Amy and it didn't go very well at all.

Lisa did have a lot of "drama" going on. Health issues and what not but she's doing great now.

Veda 9/06
#19 of 19 Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM

I agree, I've heard only great things about Amy and got a wonderful feeling from speaking to her on the phone....she did not take insurance so we could not use her. Different people have different experiences though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page