Homeschooling in Tucson? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I know this has been discussed in the "Playgroup" thread, and that several of you were starting a homeschool preschool type of thing. I wanted to start a new thread to see what was happening with that.

Who all is planning on homeschooling and what type of homeschooler will you be? (or who already is and what type of hs'er are you?) Unschooling, Waldorf, a set curriculum??

Since it seems like everyone around me is starting their kids in preschool, I have been thinking more about what we want to do. As of right now, DH and I are going to keep DD home through K at least and see how it goes. She is 3 now, so that will be the next 3 years.

For this year and probably the next, I'm not going to do a lot of curriculum, but I love the idea of having a daily rhythm and I might get the Little Acorn monthly guides.

Just wanted to start a conversation going about this...
#2 of 11 Old 08-13-2009, 03:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're on the unschooling spectrum. My kids are boy 4 this coming Christmas and girl just turned 1 Monday. I read in the playgroup thread about your disconnect with the preschool crowd. I know what you mean. My son has a couple good friends outside the mdc playgroup. Once just started daycare as his mom went back to work. The other has been out of town all summer and will be in preschool a couple days a week this fall. I'm concerned my son won't see these good friends at all anymore.

Regarding home schooling. My plan is, as the baby gets older, to spend a couple hours every day doing some sort of activities whether it's art or internet search or puzzles or games or whatever. Then we'll see how it sort of plays out as the kids get older. I bought some art books, but haven't had much chance to use them. I've been fairly overwhelmed by a 3 year old boy that loves to play rough with his sister. I think I would do well to bring some routine to MY home life.

Also, to get ideas for age appropriate subjects/skills, I have http://www.fun-books.com/books/livin...ing_guides.htm They're great guides that list skills by age and subject. For example, kindergarten math is the ability to count to 18, sort, etc. They're really nice guides.

These are the arts and crafts books I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093..._ya_oh_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155..._ya_oh_product

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 11 Old 08-13-2009, 01:19 PM

My son is 8 and daughter is 4 and we're unschoolers. I'm fairly interested in a pre-school group and had wanted to get one going, but it's proven too difficult for me to organize.

We're really involved with the unschooling group in town, as well as the big secular homeschooling group. My son is extremely social and all his friends are in those groups. My daughter is more of an introvert so I haven't really needed to seek a lot for her.

Like I said, we're unschoolers, but our time at home has a rhythm to it and I do present lots of fun activities etc.

blogging.jpg 
#4 of 11 Old 08-13-2009, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
My son is 8 and daughter is 4 and we're unschoolers. I'm fairly interested in a pre-school group and had wanted to get one going, but it's proven too difficult for me to organize.

We're really involved with the unschooling group in town, as well as the big secular homeschooling group. My son is extremely social and all his friends are in those groups. My daughter is more of an introvert so I haven't really needed to seek a lot for her.

Like I said, we're unschoolers, but our time at home has a rhythm to it and I do present lots of fun activities etc.
That's right - you are in SDH, correct? I went a few times in the April/May and really liked it. I am officially joining this year. Natalie had such a great time with the other kids, even the older ones!
#5 of 11 Old 08-13-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
Regarding home schooling. My plan is, as the baby gets older, to spend a couple hours every day doing some sort of activities whether it's art or internet search or puzzles or games or whatever. Then we'll see how it sort of plays out as the kids get older. I bought some art books, but haven't had much chance to use them. I've been fairly overwhelmed by a 3 year old boy that loves to play rough with his sister. I think I would do well to bring some routine to MY home life.

Also, to get ideas for age appropriate subjects/skills, I have http://www.fun-books.com/books/livin...ing_guides.htm They're great guides that list skills by age and subject. For example, kindergarten math is the ability to count to 18, sort, etc. They're really nice guides.

These are the arts and crafts books I got:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/093..._ya_oh_product

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/155..._ya_oh_product
Re: part I bolded - yes, this is a big thing for me too. Natalie thrives on routine, and I do too. This year I want to get more of a rhythm going during our day. I think I'm going to do a theme a month, and then see what kinds of activities/crafts arise from that. For August, we are going to do Oceans.

Thanks for the links! I love stuff like that...
#6 of 11 Old 08-20-2009, 03:55 AM

HI, just popping in from PHX.... i hope thats ok... I dont post much on this thread... We are unschoolers, I have 8 kids my oldest is 9.... I run a small daycare from home as well.... I dont really have a set routine per se other then when I have to be here for the daycare clients... For homeschooling my kids like fieldtrips and we do lots of those up here... science center, zoo, botanical gardens etc....

I always said as long as we are stuck in AZ my kids will not go to 'school'. DH strongly agrees with me.
#7 of 11 Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 AM

we are homeschooling... I have a 4 y.o, a 15 month old and a third baby coming in december....

we are really just taking our time and going at the pace that seems to work at the time. I lean way more towards unschooling theory.... and I do have a definite affinity to waldorf... but my 4 yo has rejected most waldorf themes I have introduced. so.... we just go with the flow.

I was quite interested in a preschool co-op... but I dont think my 4 yo is into it at all. she is mostly just wanting to play with her friends.... She likes to sit and discuss things with me.... and its kinda seeming like her learning style is more one on one... and I wouldnt want ot put her into a position where "everyone is doing THIS..... and so maybe you should too" type environment.

which may change with time....

We are definitely committed homeschoolers though... and my 4yo is super social... so I see joining SDH in our future..

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#8 of 11 Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post

We are definitely committed homeschoolers though... and my 4yo is super social... so I see joining SDH in our future..
this would make me happy. stacey was there on tuesday and she said kacey (sp?) had been there earlier too.

blogging.jpg 
#9 of 11 Old 08-22-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
this would make me happy. stacey was there on tuesday and she said kacey (sp?) had been there earlier too.

its intimidating... we drive by sometimes and my social anxiety gets the best of me.... keira is my driving force to overcome it though.

she has taken to introducing me to ALLLLLL the other parents at barnes and noble and the zoo.... and wherever we go. It is hilarious.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#10 of 11 Old 08-22-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
its intimidating... we drive by sometimes and my social anxiety gets the best of me.... keira is my driving force to overcome it though.

she has taken to introducing me to ALLLLLL the other parents at barnes and noble and the zoo.... and wherever we go. It is hilarious.
soooo intimidating. most people stick with people they know already. they're all in little groups and don't go out of their way to meet new people. i've been going almost 2 years and hardly know anyone, except the people in the unschooling group that also go to sdh. i just don't talk to people but i'm sure if i did they'd be friendly.

that was 5 'people's in one paragraph, think it's a record!

i'm so glad ella doesn't do that, i might just die. she is just getting comfortable chatting with strangers and i already hate it.

blogging.jpg 
#11 of 11 Old 08-29-2009, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout View Post
I always said as long as we are stuck in AZ my kids will not go to 'school'. DH strongly agrees with me.
I completely am in the same boat as you. NOT good public schools here!

Tallulahma & Serendipity - I also am intimidated by SDH! And I am normally pretty social. I went a few times last spring and chatted with a couple ladies, but otherwise people just kind of looked at me and continued their conversations. I think I would get along with people there, but I don't want to be "that person" just jumping into conversations left and right, you know?

I am still going to join, though - I just haven't gone b/c I'm 9 weeks pregnant and hot to begin with. I really don't want to go out in the 100 degree weather. I'm a wimp! Next time I go, I'm going to post and see if you all are going, so I can seek you out and have someone to talk to!! Is that OK?? Probably will be in the next few weeks - mid-September or so? We'll see what the weather does.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page