Phoenix Perinatal Associates? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if any of you can comment on previous or current experiences with Phoenix Perinatal Associates in Phoenix, Arizona. I had first visits with three different OB's that said they were high-risk, but not high enough to take me on, and each referred me to Phoenix Perinatal, so I gave in. So far I am not impressed. They are a large research high-risk practice, but the office issues are not comforting. They only deliver at hospitals I have no interest in, but I don't have a choice I guess. I can't tell if the doctor I have seen is just paying lip service or if he is all for natural childbirth. Their intervention rates are irrelevant to my situation. Baby is fine and there is only one.

Worse, I live several hours away, and they don't seem to understand that travel + hotel for several visits a month is pretty prohibitive, then the schedule goes to 2-3 visits per week. Worst, my disability is unlikely to cause labor and delivery problems, but the potential problems could be fatal to both. I understand the liability and concern from that stand point, but I'm really finding the whole high-risk thing to be disturbing on many levels.

Kim

Any insight on this practice would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 4 Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 AM

pm'd ya
#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2009, 03:08 PM

We just started seeing that practice. The visits are pretty long and involved, but they explained to us that they are a high-risk practice, and it is what they do. The doctor we saw hadn't ever heard of where we lived, but they do see people from literally all over the world. Did you explain just how far you lived?

I'm not suggesting you do this, but I carefully evaluate if everything (visit, test, etc.) has any therapeutic value. If the answer is no, I am less likely to do it. If they just want me to come in for a visit (no exam, no tests, just a how's your mother), I schedule it then cancel it. I mean, they want us to come in every week then a month from now we start 2-3x a week, so I schedule those while I am there (because they are on the flow sheet), then call and cancel later. I understand the time and money involved. That doesn't work for everyone, and if you aren't (or baby?) in a constant life or death situation, you might not need to come in for weekly tea.

But good luck, and maybe some of us can meet up with you for lunch while yo uare in the area.
#4 of 4 Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM

Can you tell us who the docs are there? I might be familiar with some of them and i can PM you some info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page