Raw milk in Phoenix area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-27-2009, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!
My family and I are going to be vacationing in Phoenix for a couple of weeks and my DS ( 20 mos) drinks raw goat and cow's milk. I'm wondering if there are any sources of raw milk in the Phoenix area... If there are co-ops, there's usually a membership fee and I don't really want to pay just to order once... any thoughts mamas? Thx!
#2 of 16 Old 08-27-2009, 01:27 PM

Hi there,

it is legal to sell raw milk in AZ, so you should be able to find it at a crunchy/health food type store (I am in tucson so I don't know what stores to look for on Phx).
good luck and have a good time!

Sarah
#3 of 16 Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 AM

(This was posted in the Traditional Foods forum and I get my raw milk from the dairy mentioned above too so maybe we can delete this thread??? Please...)

Can I encourage everyone to not mention the names of their raw milk dairies and co-ops, through whom they receive raw dairy?
These forums are public. They can be read by anyone.

Please protect our farmers by keeping things a little more cryptic.
Maybe ask general info for an area, and then discuss specifics in PMs.

The reason is, that a certain area is getting calls where the inquirers refuse to give names, just want more info on the "raw milk location". This is usually followed by a farm spy visit, and then a raid.

I myself have fielded calls of this nature, and refuse to give locations and such. Its just to risky.

I am not going to give anymore info then the above, but please do think about this, if you value your milk source.

Veda 9/06
#4 of 16 Old 08-28-2009, 12:29 AM

drop: "You can purchase organic raw milk for $10.00/gallon at..." I would be interested in knowing how much raw milk goes for else where in the USA. There in no way my family could afford to drink raw milk...we use a gallon a day and when my baby girl decides to quit nursing we will be going through more than a gallon a day.
#5 of 16 Old 08-28-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiaz View Post
(This was posted in the Traditional Foods forum and I get my raw milk from the dairy mentioned above too so maybe we can delete this thread??? Please...)

Can I encourage everyone to not mention the names of their raw milk dairies and co-ops, through whom they receive raw dairy?
These forums are public. They can be read by anyone.
I completely understand this, but as it is legal to sell raw milk in AZ, and the Save Our Dairy people have a prominent web site and sell their raw milk in stores all over the state, I see no reason for concern in this case and wanted to give to OP as much info as I could. I understand the need to protect farmers who are selling raw milk, but what is the concern in this case when they are doing it legally?

Quote:
drop: "You can purchase organic raw milk for $10.00/gallon at..."
I know. It's hard for us to swallow, too, and we usually only buy it for special occasions or when we want a "treat" . My husband grew up on raw milk for $1.25/gallon, and in Washington, DC, we were paying about $3/gallon. it's so expensive here because the cows cannot pasture because there isn't grass... so the dairy has to buy all of the grass for the cows, which gets very expensive.
#6 of 16 Old 08-28-2009, 11:30 AM

There is a grocery store in Phoenix that sells it but, it's over $12 a gallon.

I have looked everywhere - if anyone has any info they would be willing to share in a PM, I would appreciate it so much.

I do understand the need for discretion. Even though it's legal here in AZ, there was a farm that was harrassed to the point of going out of business.

So, please don't post it publically but, if you'd be willing to share in a PM, I'd greatly appreciate it!
#7 of 16 Old 08-28-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
I completely understand this, but as it is legal to sell raw milk in AZ, and the Save Our Dairy people have a prominent web site and sell their raw milk in stores all over the state, I see no reason for concern in this case and wanted to give to OP as much info as I could. I understand the need to protect farmers who are selling raw milk, but what is the concern in this case when they are doing it legally?

Well, legal or not, they have been harassed in the past and shut down temporarily.

Veda 9/06
#8 of 16 Old 08-31-2009, 04:48 PM

Nantucket, I just PM'd you with info on where to get it in Phx.
#9 of 16 Old 08-31-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Miss Blue! I wasn't thinking about the danger of posting raw milk sources!
#10 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 12:52 AM

If anyone would share the source, I'd appreciate it! We've been looking for ages without luck
#11 of 16 Old 09-04-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
If anyone would share the source, I'd appreciate it! We've been looking for ages without luck
sarah mentioned it above.

Veda 9/06
#12 of 16 Old 09-06-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiaz View Post
sarah mentioned it above.
Is Save Our Dairy the only source in the valley?

They are so far for me to drive - almost 45 minutes away.

I've heard that there are other farmers selling raw milk via co-ops but, I haven't been able to find one.
#13 of 16 Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 AM

amcal, I just sent you a PM with the info on a store in Phx that sells it, or at least they used to. I'd have posted the information for everyone, but the store keeps it in the back and you have to ask specifically for the raw milk. I am assuming that they don't want it broadcast that they have it.
#14 of 16 Old 09-10-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post
Is Save Our Dairy the only source in the valley?

They are so far for me to drive - almost 45 minutes away.

I've heard that there are other farmers selling raw milk via co-ops but, I haven't been able to find one.
Have you checked with the local wapf leader? I live near the one you mentioned but am looking for raw goat If anyone knows a source please PM me
#15 of 16 Old 10-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Do you still know that grocery store in PHX where you have to ask for raw milk because they keep it in back?  Recently I'd been to Healthy Habit which sold it (legally), but their distributor of their goat milk resource went out of business.   If so, would you email it to me?  Thank you.

#16 of 16 Old 11-26-2012, 02:26 PM

Farmers markets is where I've found them, but there are lists and things you have to wait your turn and its $6+/gal
I'm going to buy a goat or a cow when I get a house.
And chickens.
These organic people are making too much money.
Baby chicks cost like $1 last time I checked

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page