Playgroup in Tucson 2009 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-29-2009, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We'll be at the park!

And we'll be celebrating a first---C went to sleep in bed last night without nursing! We weren't planning on it... every night the 3 of us read and then Carter turns to Rob, says "night!," gives him a hug and kiss, and then nurses to sleep. But last night while Rob was reading to him, his eyes closed and he was ASLEEP! WOW!

Jen, we're also re-evaluating our memberships! I think we're going to let desert museum lapse because it's not great for c's age right now... he can't really spot many of the animals, so he just runs about. which is fine, but i'd rather run about in a park or a mountain that is free and not so far from our house. However, I think we ARE gonna do children's museum this year... we went about 6 months ago and C was too little, but we were there for a party this weekend and he absolutely looved it. so a membership is on our christmas wish list!

see some of ya at the park.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
were dressing in layers to get ready for the park-reminds me of growing up in MN!

should be there around 9.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:09 PM

Jen and Ayn, I wanted to tell you how touching it was that Zoe and Keira both ran to check on Carter when he fell off those stairs! Zoe was petting his leg and Keira did the chicken walk to cheer him up... it was so so so sweet!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:11 AM

Hi friends! I wanted to pop in and say thanks for all your well wishes from forever ago and say a little hello and I miss you.

I couldn't park this week because we were in Phoenix but I got to take G to McCormick train park - LOVE that place! And, I am so happy about this cold. I'm in my own house now and I feel like I'm camping it is so cold That is a good thing this pregnancy.

We may walk through Winterhaven for Halloween. Not sure what time - probably around sunset. We have a little costume birthday party in the day time so we'll see if the white homemade costume will hold up through the park fun. I really don't sew but I decided to pretend this year, so G may end up walking though Winterhaven in pajamas.

Happy day all. I'm going to try and sleep now...

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
Old 10-31-2009, 03:03 PM

Happy Halloween! Hope everyone has fun.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 11-03-2009, 12:56 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say hi! Hope everyone had a fun Halloween. we were in Sedona with my mom, it was soooooo nice!

We'll be at the park on Thursday like always. We don't have any plans tomorrow so let me know if anyone feels like doing anything. I was thinking of going to Himmell Park, or maybe the botanical gardens...
Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hannah (and anyone else) if you're still having trouble with aggression between your 3 year old and toddler, here are some things we're doing that are helping.

I do want to point out that our prior change of calmly taking the baby away and ignoring the undesirable behaviors has made a huge change. We don't have the "drive by" assaults like we did before. However, there has been quite a bit of frustrated hitting and frustrated intentional pain infliction.

Regarding the frustration attacks: It was suggested to me that I get down on the floor and play with both kids and model appropriate behavior. At first I was like, "What are you talking about, I play with the kids all the time." Then I realized that 1. I do activities with them like read books, bake, playdo, Chutes and ladders, going to the zoo, TBG, etc. However, I don't actually play with them and their toys. 2. I usually interact with them separately. Except for some books that we read, I do 3 year old activities or I do baby activities, but I don't meld them together.

So, we've been getting down on the floor and playing trains, cars, or treehouse with weebles every day (until the baby got sick.) The first day every time she touched something, he'd grab her and try and hurt her. After 4 or 5 days that totally stopped (knock on wood.)

I am really grateful for this suggestion because of how much it has helped. However, I'm also grateful because it never occurred to me that I wasn't playing toys with them. This is a change that I want to make permanent. When they grow up, I want them to have memories of us playing dress up together or doing puppet shows, or playing trains. (I'm actually having fun with the trains. Can't wait 'til Christmas when we, I mean my guy, will get more pieces.)

The other thing I did that seems so obvious now, but never occurred to me before is telling him to tell me when he wants attention. Yesterday I was holding my feverish baby trying to keep it quiet so she could sleep. He grabbed my hair and pulled hard. Wasn't much I could do with babe in arms. After a couple episodes of this, I told him, "I am going to ignore you when you do that. If you want attention, just say, 'I want attention." It's worked really well. Today he's said it 3 times. I practically drop everything I'm doing to give him attention reinforce this behavior.

We've also been reading the paperback version of "Hands are not for hitting," It's geared to age 4 to 8 kids http://www.amazon.com/Hands-Hitting-...7316595&sr=8-1 and What About Me: Twelve Ways To Get Your Parents' Attention Without Hitting Your Sister https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...ss_T15_product

I'm hoping we're coming to an end of the aggressive stuff.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
Jen and Ayn, I wanted to tell you how touching it was that Zoe and Keira both ran to check on Carter when he fell off those stairs! Zoe was petting his leg and Keira did the chicken walk to cheer him up... it was so so so sweet!!
thanks for letting me know! Z has done her share of not being so sweet, so this is nice to hear. They were all playing so cute together that day
hope to see you guys tomorrow too
Old 11-04-2009, 06:07 PM

I just wanted to share with everyone that I think I may get to have a homebirth after all!!: joy

anyone going to Conner tomorrow?
we plan to be there about 9.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 AM

I don't think we'll be at the park tomorrow after all.. I am feeling a little overwhelmed this week and think we need storytime tomorrow.

Ayn, thats great news!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 AM

Hi!

Pam, glad things are improving at your casita.

Sarah, rest up. Glad to see you're going to get massages!!

We've had a fairly major development with the business so I've been working a lot. To help make that happen G and I take a lunch break at Conner park (it's around the corner) and she runs her little legs off and then she'll take her nap at the office. So, if anyone is in the area around 12:30 each weekday we will probably be there. Though I'm not sure about tomorrow because I'll be watching another little girl in the morning.

Hope you all are doing great!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:53 PM

Hey everybody!

Becca, I hope the business development is a good one... I'd love to meet you at the park except that it the time Carter is always sleeping! If you ever want me to swing by and take G to the park, zoo, whatever, in the morning, just let me know!

Everybody, I come with a request. Ok, I know not many people have been doing the Thursday park thing--Ayn and I are consistent parkers, the rest of you are slackers with silly excuses like work, chicken pox, and more.

But I want to suggest moving the park morning to a different morning--maybe Tuesday? The reason is purely selfish. I am in love with the librarian who does toddler storytime at the downtown library on Thursday mornings... there is something cathartic about her storytimes, both for me and Carter, and I want to start going regularly.

But I would really like to (re)establish a good meeting time for all of us, as park days with ya'll are some of my, and Carter's, favorite times. Not to mention that come February I'll be needing people to keep me and baby company on a blanket.

So, if there is a better time than thursday mornings for anybody, please speak up!
Old 11-06-2009, 04:55 PM

i don't mind changing the date. it's usually the time that has us not going! although this week we were (are) sick. i think i also have an ear infection since the last time i had one it was not kicked all the way out of my head. tried searching people's pharmacy but the stupid site gives me an error! not to mention my computer is acting up due to ???? which i will have to fix when I have 5 hours of time (so like never?) plus I have an exam due TOMORROW in math and i feel like i'm walking towards DEATH. oy. i'm tired.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Hey everybody!

Becca, I hope the business development is a good one... I'd love to meet you at the park except that it the time Carter is always sleeping! If you ever want me to swing by and take G to the park, zoo, whatever, in the morning, just let me know!

Everybody, I come with a request. Ok, I know not many people have been doing the Thursday park thing--Ayn and I are consistent parkers, the rest of you are slackers with silly excuses like work, chicken pox, and more.

But I want to suggest moving the park morning to a different morning--maybe Tuesday? The reason is purely selfish. I am in love with the librarian who does toddler storytime at the downtown library on Thursday mornings... there is something cathartic about her storytimes, both for me and Carter, and I want to start going regularly.

But I would really like to (re)establish a good meeting time for all of us, as park days with ya'll are some of my, and Carter's, favorite times. Not to mention that come February I'll be needing people to keep me and baby company on a blanket.

So, if there is a better time than thursday mornings for anybody, please speak up!
i am up for tuesdays, i have actually already started ging every tues (and Jen made it once too, so maybe that wks for her??) because z keeps asking to go almost everyday! (i keep meaning to post that i'm going and always slack off about it.)

Sarah-that story time sounds awesome, maybe we'll have to check it out too, if you dont mind us crashing your gig!

how about moving the thursday meeting to the afternoon? i think at least a few poeple aren't coming because of the morning time, and the only reason we have been meeting so early is because of the heat correct? and that will be cooling down now so...? what's everyone think?

i'm up for most anything i guess, either way me and z will probably be there both tues & thurs anyway.

ayn
Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM

i would like to get there more.... the chicken pox had us stuck indoors... but since then... it feels like a longer trek since jareds work is no longer there....if we meet him downtown for lunch it only takes me ten minutes to get there- conner park sometimes takes 30 minutes if traffic is heavy at the wrong time of day. So the beginning of the week when I am more energized is best.... I usually spend all of thursday and friday cleaning, straightening and prepping for the weekends.... and how sad that it takes me two days to prepare for having the man home :P jared is a bit of a slob and if I dont start the weekend with a perfectly put together home- its trizashed by sunday.

so- tues morning sounds great- its lighter traffic in the mornings and i think pete goes tuesdays and keira *loves* "pete's dad pete".

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
Old 11-06-2009, 06:26 PM

i also plan on taking the girls to the little angels procession on saturday....

Quote:
Saturday, November 7th, 2009

101 N. Stone Avenue

Kids Art Activities: 3pm
Story Performance: 4:30pm
Kids Finale Workshops: 5pm
Procession Begins: 6pm
Little Angels Finale: 6:45pm

Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
i would like to get there more.... the chicken pox had us stuck indoors... but since then... it feels like a longer trek since jareds work is no longer there....if we meet him downtown for lunch it only takes me ten minutes to get there- conner park sometimes takes 30 minutes if traffic is heavy at the wrong time of day.

so- tues morning sounds great- its lighter traffic in the mornings and i think pete goes tuesdays and keira *loves* "pete's dad pete".
I didn't know jared's work moved.. where is he now?

oh, big pete. the ladies love him!!
Old 11-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
I didn't know jared's work moved.. where is he now?

oh, big pete. the ladies love him!!

yes! and its awesome! they moved to the mac arthur building right across fromt he train depot and maynards.

it takes no time to get there- he is home by 445 almost every night... and we get to eat out downtown for lunch instead of rubios

AND we have free downtown parking all the time

pete's enthusiasm for life is astounding... i told jared he makes me want to be a better parent and I really thought I was doing a pretty good job. lol

Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 PM

Either day works for us also. We would have to leave earlier to open the store that day but not a big deal. We have been so swamped that Thursday mornings keep slipping by me and Alina keeps reminding me that it's been "a long long time since I played with my friends." We had renters leave our previous house a huge huge mess and we have been scrambling with all of our spare time to clean it up. If anyone knows of a sensible person who needs a cute little home to rent, we have one that needs such person!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 PM

We would probably never make Tuesdays because it's the big homeschool group park day. You should all just start coming to THAT and make my life easier!!

Mornings generally don't work for us, especially since Connor Park isn't close to us. We really use our mornings to center us and then head out.

I could do Monday or Wednesday afternoons....

But we never make Thursdays either so I don't think we really count.
I think about going every Thursday, I really would like to hang out with you guys more!

blogging.jpg 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Either day works for us also. We would have to leave earlier to open the store that day but not a big deal. We have been so swamped that Thursday mornings keep slipping by me and Alina keeps reminding me that it's been "a long long time since I played with my friends." We had renters leave our previous house a huge huge mess and we have been scrambling with all of our spare time to clean it up. If anyone knows of a sensible person who needs a cute little home to rent, we have one that needs such person!
My mom is looking for a place, I'd love more info!

blogging.jpg 
Old 11-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
i also plan on taking the girls to the little angels procession on saturday....
Are you going tonight and tomorrow or just tonight? I'm trying to decide...

blogging.jpg 
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM

Day changes? Time changes? I don't know what I can commit to right now but once things settle down with work I'll be more flexible and around more (hope so). Oh and yes, Sarah this is a positive change with the business - just a little crazy during the transition. But, I'm looking forward to blanket/baby/park time for sure in a few short months. For right now the only time I can say I'm free for sure is lunch time-ish.

Oh, and I think I saw big Pete 3 times last week .

Old 11-07-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
We would probably never make Tuesdays because it's the big homeschool group park day. You should all just start coming to THAT and make my life easier!!

Mornings generally don't work for us, especially since Connor Park isn't close to us. We really use our mornings to center us and then head out.

I could do Monday or Wednesday afternoons....

But we never make Thursdays either so I don't think we really count.
I think about going every Thursday, I really would like to hang out with you guys more!
i can not imagine the panic that would occur if I tried a big park day with olive at this point.... conner park gets overwhelming... she is too daring and loves to follow the big kids... she has more nuggets on her head in a day than keira had in a year... no caution...

we spent four hours at the park last week and I thought I was going to give birth after- all the climbing stairs and such made my pelvis ache. lol

once I hit 37 weeks- its park day everyday :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
Are you going tonight and tomorrow or just tonight? I'm trying to decide...

BOTH!
it my FAVOURITE thing tucson does.... by far.

we are dressing up both nights too I think... my niece and 4 of her friends are coming in from phoenix tomorrow night- because i talk about it so much.... lets hope it goes well.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
i can not imagine the panic that would occur if I tried a big park day with olive at this point.... conner park gets overwhelming... she is too daring and loves to follow the big kids... she has more nuggets on her head in a day than keira had in a year... no caution...

we spent four hours at the park last week and I thought I was going to give birth after- all the climbing stairs and such made my pelvis ache.
I volunteer to follow Olive at the park!

Also Jen, we live really close to downtown, so I'm always happy to meet you all down there if you're doing anything--library, TCM, etc. Also, we're a quick hop off aviation parkway and would love to have you and your girls over anytime.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 PM

We're going to Connor Park in the morning tomorrow (Tuesday)--hope to see some familiar faces!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM

My grandmother died yesterday and we are headed to Texas today for family stuff, services, etc. It will be Carter's first time to Texas--should be an interesting experience. Catch up with ya'll next week.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
My grandmother died yesterday and we are headed to Texas today for family stuff, services, etc. It will be Carter's first time to Texas--should be an interesting experience. Catch up with ya'll next week.
So sorry Sarah!
I hope your trip goes as well as possible, considering.
Take care,
Ayn & Z
Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 PM

Oh Sarah I'm so sorry. Happy travels.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM

My mother is in town and is on her way to the park right now with kiddos so hope there are some friends there today!
Sorry to hear about your loss Sarah. Hope everything goes safely for you and your family!

User Tag List