Learning Spanish playgroup in Salt Lake or Utah county? - Mothering Forums
Utah, Arizona > Learning Spanish playgroup in Salt Lake or Utah county?
Krisis's Avatar Krisis 09:04 PM 10-03-2009
Would there be an interest in this? I know a little Spanish but not much and I am dying to become relatively fluent and raise DS as bilingual. My dad is from Mexico and I have a brother in law from Colombia so I have people I can habla espanol with, but I would like to get a playgroup going maybe with some mommies who are interested in learning Spanish along with Toby and me. I live in Draper, but we are usually in the Provo area once a week and can travel around Salt Lake too.

For activities, we could go to Spanish grocery stores, Spanish restaurants (or we could cook Spanish foods), watch short movies or read stories and sing songs in Spanish, go to the Hispanic festival when it comes around again, etc.

Ianthe's Avatar Ianthe 05:11 PM 10-07-2009
I don't know any spanish, but I would be interested in this for my 2.5 yr old. I live in Davis county.
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 08:36 PM 10-10-2009
I'm interested! My husband is from Mexico and all of us are fluent. I'd love to have another opportunity for my girls to practice. We're in Murray. I think I've met both of you, I'm Joy with 2 dds Tuesday mornings and Wednesday afternoons are out for us, but I think the rest of the week would be ok. I'm not sure what age range you're looking for, but I'm sure homeschoolers would be interested as well.
BRmama's Avatar BRmama 09:07 PM 10-16-2009
Hi, I'm also interested. I speak Spanish but I'm originally from Brazil. My husband and I both speak Portuguese to our son and I am teaching him some Spanish so he can talk to his cousin who is half Mexican half Brazilian but born here. We live in Murray.
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 02:02 AM 10-17-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRmama View Post
Hi, I'm also interested. I speak Spanish but I'm originally from Brazil. My husband and I both speak Portuguese to our son and I am teaching him some Spanish so he can talk to his cousin who is half Mexican half Brazilian but born here. We live in Murray.
OOH! Anyone interested in a Portuguese playgroup too?! I was an exchange student in Brazil a billion years ago and need some help getting back into practice to teach the girls
Krisis's Avatar Krisis 02:14 AM 10-17-2009
What if we plan on meeting up on the 29th? We could learn about Dia de Los Muertos and get to know each other. Sounds like Murray is the most central location in the group, so do we want to meet somewhere in Murray? Anyone want to offer their home? My home is always open but I'm just on the tail end of the valley.
BRmama's Avatar BRmama 11:04 PM 10-19-2009
The 29th would work for us. The only thing I have going that day is my son's swimming lessons from 10:30-11:00. Anytime after that would be great. We could do it at my house too, I have a lot of space but my house isn't babyproof, well getting there my baby is almost crawling. I can't think of any place in Murray that we could meet.

Quote:
OOH! Anyone interested in a Portuguese playgroup too?! I was an exchange student in Brazil a billion years ago and need some help getting back into practice to teach the girls
That's awesome that you were there. What part were you at? I'm from Sao Paulo

We could do like a Spanish/Portuguese . Even though they're different languages they're very similar as far as words go. We don't really celebrate Halloween down there at least when I lived there (could be different now) but I remember getting candy from the neighbors that day as a child at my cousin's party.
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 11:08 PM 10-19-2009
The 29th should work for us too! I lived a few months in Campinas, then another few in Lorena, SP and then in Manaus for 3 months
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 10:46 PM 10-23-2009
What time should we meet?
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 01:20 PM 10-26-2009
Is this happening?
Krisis's Avatar Krisis 02:40 AM 10-27-2009
Not for me. Sorry guys, I am sick with something (not swine flu) so we're taking it easy and staying home this week. Blech.
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 12:41 PM 10-27-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
Not for me. Sorry guys, I am sick with something (not swine flu) so we're taking it easy and staying home this week. Blech.
I hope you feel better soon!
BRmama's Avatar BRmama 04:50 PM 10-27-2009
Sorry guys my dh is out of town so it's really hard to get some alone time in the computer lol.

Krisis sorry you're sick, hope you feel better soon.

Linguistmama, we could still have a playgroup if you're up for it....I know this weather sucks, it doesn't help much. I can't believe it's snowing already!
linguistmama's Avatar linguistmama 04:00 PM 10-28-2009
We're sick too! Hopefully we can find a time when we can all get together.
BRmama's Avatar BRmama 05:58 PM 10-31-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by linguistmama View Post
We're sick too! Hopefully we can find a time when we can all get together.
Are you feeling better? I hate being sick
Up