Tell me something good about the Birthing Center in Tucson - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am a military wife and moved here from my home land of England. I had my 1st son in a hospital in England and since midwives are the primary care givers it was a pretty cool birth, no IV, no drugs, allowed to eat/drink, wear my own clothes etc etc. Not really any complaints.

I have opted with this pregnancy to be seen at the Birthing Center as I cannot imagine NOT having a midwife and I like their 'style'. Im 14 weeks and have so far been there only once and met a lovely midwife who seemed genuinely interested in me and the pregnancy. It was great.

I went for a dating scan at TMC and was horrified. The tech was pretty rude, I was called 25mins late (NOT fun when you have a full bladder ) and she seemed to totally HATE her job. Which made me glad im not delivering there.

I searched on MDC for the birthing center and all I can find is pretty horrible stories, high transfer rates and much less 'crunchy' care than it 'used to have'.

Now im freaking out. My worst nightmare would be a TMC transfer. I keep thinking that with one easy, uncomplicated birth under my belt I should be less lightly to have complications right? (anyone have any 2nd birth stats?)

Someone tell me something wonderful about the birthing center...I want some positivity...im freaking out.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 07:52 PM

Well, congrats on baby #2 and welcome to Tucson. My daughter (second child) was born at the birth center 2 years ago and I was and am completely happy with that birth. I'm now pregnant with number 3 and should be delivering there in 2 weeks (or whenever he's ready, really). This time around all the midwives are new to me, which in a way is sad since I LOVED the midwife who was there for my daughter's birth. But they're all wonderful and I wouldn't mind any one of them attending. Definitely don't judge the birth center by some ultrasound tech at TMC; sounds like you had the same one I did; obviously not enthusiastic about her job and just wanted to take the pics and get out of the room. SO I'll try to let you know how this birth goes, as of so far none of the midwives have mentioned any possibility of a transfer or being risked out of a birth there; I'll have to see what happens when the due date rolls around since thats when things tend to get a little touchy. Good luck (and wish me luck too )
Old 10-26-2009, 12:06 AM

I loved my experience giving birth there 21 months ago. I hoped for a birth center birth, but I was mentally prepared in case life had other plans. Fortunately I had my son in the birthing tub there with no complications. I know that many of the midwives have changed and that one of the major policy changes is that any woman who tests for gestational diabetes is automatically risked out of delivering at the birth center. I don't know how much it has changed, exactly, but I will hopefully find out next year.

If you had a smooth labor the last time around, I wouldn't be too concerned. I still think that, for me, they are the best alternative to a hospital since I am too big of a chicken to do a homebirth.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy and a wonderful delivery!

Vegan family since 2011 - Wonderful DS1 born 1/08. Treasured DS2  born 11/10.

"I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better." - Maya Angelou

Old 10-26-2009, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, thats really good to hear.

I probably would consider a home birth, but they are outlawed on the base...literally! my husband could land himself in deep doo-doo if his higher ups found out what an open minded bunch!

I was SO excited when I discovered there was a birth center here! Im really, really hoping I have a smooth pregnancy and delivery like last time.

Oh and GOODLUCK Bevvyann. Be sure to keep me updated with how things went!!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM

My son was born there in 2006...an absolutely wonderful experience. It has changed since then unfortunately--some changes aren't that great. Since the old backing doctors are no longer there, there are different rules in place, some more stringent, a lot of the old midwives have left and for a while there seemed to be a rotating door almost. I opted not to have my daughter there last year since I wasn't sure if I felt up to possibly having to fight--it was such a shock to my system to hear of the new rules that my mind went into shutdown mode, so we stayed home instead.

Two very good friends of mine have had wonderful births there recently, one May of last year, one just 2 months ago, and both were extremely happy with their experiences. If I get pregnant again I will likely return to the birth center--not because of a bad experience with my home birth, but for money reasons. My friend who birthed in September had no problems and said everything went smoothly. So I don't know..I think it might be trickier somewhat then in the past, but I wouldn't worry. On the same token, with both of these friends, it was their first birth at the center--so they didn't know how things were in the past at all.

Also, this was Sept. friend's 3rd birth...#1 at UMC, #2 at home, and now #3 at the birth center. It seems that with your history that it's likely that non-intervention related problems could be few

I still think it is a great place, and now knowing what changes are there gears me up to prepare to fight if I have to, should I get pregnant again. I know that some unhappy experiences have come out on here unfortunately, and that's par for the course due to the backing doctors, however I do believe it is possible to have a great experience there and I hope you'll let us know how things go!

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 10-27-2009, 10:04 PM

Oh, I just wanted to add Bubbamummy, that they are very kid friendly. I have no experience with regular OBGYNs, so maybe there's no difference, but I am always very appreciative of the fact that they have toys in all the exam rooms. It's such a small thing, but it means a lot. They are also very laid back in terms of appointments, for me at least. Even now, in the final month, they're not making me come in every week. Not that I don't love hearing the heartbeat and knowing baby is doing good.....its a pain to load the kids and drive across town....so they're fine seeing me every 2 weeks. THAT is great. I saw Fran (my favorite) yesterday, and there was not a word of risking out or anything like that. I know they have rules, but I've always gotten the feeling they'll bend them as far as they can without actually breaking them. They're all great ladies over there, I just can't say anything bad about them. And hopefully in the next two weeks I can report back on my birth center delivery!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevvyann View Post
THAT is great. I saw Fran (my favorite) yesterday, and there was not a word of risking out or anything like that.
Fran IS awesome....out of the ones that were there when my son was born she is the only one left. She is sooooooooooo knowledgeable about herbs and breastfeeding. I really like her. I too do get the impression now that they bend the rules as much as they can....I just wish they could bend them more.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
Fran IS awesome....out of the ones that were there when my son was born she is the only one left. She is sooooooooooo knowledgeable about herbs and breastfeeding. I really like her. I too do get the impression now that they bend the rules as much as they can....I just wish they could bend them more.
Same here! When my daughter was born, Fran was in the room, just drinking her coffee and sitting in a rocking chair....it was all so peaceful and natural. I'm really really hoping she'll be on call with this one, but I have no idea who's working the next 2 weeks. As long as the baby comes out healthy and happy and I get my post delivery hamburger, that's what matters, right?!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
As long as the baby comes out healthy and happy and I get my post delivery hamburger, that's what matters, right?!
LOL! Post-delivery hamburger--I love it!! You go lady! I remember my husband got a ton of food from the IHOP a few doors down but all I could eat was fruit and cottage cheese....I WISH I could have eaten a hamburger then! With my daughter I COULD have eaten one but.....I got crackers lol.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter

I saw Fran at my last appointment, she did part of her midwifery internship in England she is SO lovely, felt like hugging her....but thought that might be weird she even said 'what a lovely bump...I wish I had pregnancy as an excuse but I just eat too much' she was so relaxed and wonderful. Id love her to be at the birth.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:24 AM

i had two of my five children there (this was way way way back... 15 and 11 years ago) but they were wonderful and we just loved them. they use to have a picture up on the wall of me pulling dd out. lol i am pretty sure all the midwives i saw are gone now, but my experience was great.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I know some of the birth center nurses from my birth in 12/05 and professionally (I worked at the original location in the 80s and considered working there again. I prefer SAHM.) They tell me things aren't as bad as the rumor mill has it. There have been changes that aren't necessarily for the better, but it's not too bad. And, as one of them said, unless you do a homebirth, they're still the best choice in town.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I know some of the birth center nurses from my birth in 12/05 and professionally (I worked at the original location in the 80s and considered working there again. I prefer SAHM.) They tell me things aren't as bad as the rumor mill has it. There have been changes that aren't necessarily for the better, but it's not too bad. And, as one of them said, unless you do a homebirth, they're still the best choice in town.
I can't argue there, outside of homebirth they really are the best choice in town...at least in my opinion. I know you can have a great birth in the hospitals, if that is what you choose, but if you want a homey atmosphere without a lot of the medical stuff and don't want/can't have a homebirth, it is a good 2nd option.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 AM

I had #3 out of five there and it was a great experience. Fran was there for my birth and was a great midwife. She was there and monitoring but not invasive. My water was broken for long enough that if I'd been in the hospital they would have been wanting to intervene. Fran knew that everything was just fine and she just continued to monitor until my healthy son was born!! Good luck to you and a happy birth!!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM

I had my baby there in May 2009. I had a great experience! I pushed for 4 long hours and think things would have turned out much differently had I been in a hospital setting (Fran was my attending midwife, she was just great).

Bevvyann, did you have your baby yet? How did things go?
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 PM

Arrrrrrrghhhh No baby yet. As much as I love the birth center, I hate their rule about going past the "due date". I don't blame them, I know they don't make the rules, it's just a little irritating knowing my baby is "late" and so now I've got a clock ticking down my chance to have the baby at the center. Saturday was the due date, and if I don't go into labor within the next week, its off to TMC. What can you do though? I know I'll still have a midwife there with me if that happens, so it's not a total loss, its just not exactly what I envision. Soooo, here's hoping baby comes before Saturday, and here's hoping Fran's on call when he does decide to arrive. (They're all great I know, but I'm obviously not the only one who thinks Fran is awesome......Love her!)
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Good luck bevvyann! The automatic "opt out" rule at 41 weeks is really annoying! Hubby and I went to the "centering" classes, and when we (the group of us in the class) mentioned our collective worry about going over and delivering at TMC, the midwives (Fran and Olivia) were quite confident that they could convince the baby it was time to come before that point. Have you talked to Fran about what they try? I seem to think it they mentioned herbs...maybe stripping the membranes...I'm not sure, it seems so long ago!
Old 11-14-2009, 02:04 AM

*sigh* It used to be 42 weeks....I hate that 41 week rule too. The thing is if the baby isn't ready to come and everything is stable, there isn't a true medical reason to try and make it come earlier, since a due date is just not necessarily accurate. Trying to make it come earlier before your body is ready can also unfortunately have you end up at the hospital as well (no I'm truely not trying to scare you, as I know how you could be feeling at this point and it's the last thing you want to hear and you don't need the extra stress, but it is truth, unfortunately). It's worth a try of course, to see what they can do and it may not hurt to try. I wonder what they would do if you didn't show up for anything lol!

User Tag List