Grass fed and natural meats in Utah? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm looking to buy grass fed and purely natural beef, pork and chicken. I'm in SLC, but would be willing to take a somewhat short drive to get some! Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2009, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lau Family Farm in Southern ID delivers to SLC monthly. We've been really happy with their beef, but haven't tried the lamb. They are coming this Saturday so contact ASAP if you're interested.

http://www.laufamilyfarm.com/
Old 11-11-2009, 11:44 PM

http://www.pleasantvalleybeef.com/

These guys are in Mt. Pleasant. I talked to the guy at the farmer's market and he said they usually still have beef until around the end of Dec/beg of Jan. I haven't used their beef, as I don't have room for it, but am buying a freezer next year!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:49 AM

http://www.mbmeatpacking.com/

We always do MB Meat Packing. They are up in Tremonton but make monthly (or 2 x per month, I can't remember) trips to Salt Lake to deliver. We always buy the hamburger cow which is $1/lb hanging weight which works out to $2/lb of actual hamburger. We also get the bones for making stock and the tallow (which they melt down for free for you). Then we usually get some steaks and sausage just by the pound. You do have to specify that you want grass-fed since they have both grass-fed and grain-fed.

Their meat is not certified organic, but it's antibiotic-free and hormone-free. We have bought 2 cows from them as an extended family over the past year and we all have been VERY happy. It's the best meat we've ever had. You can also buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow, but the smaller animals you usually have to buy the whole thing.

BTW, if anyone has a good chicken place that isn't expensive, I would be interested. I'm not really concerned about them being fed "organic" feed. I just want them to free-range, and be antibiotic- and hormone-free

Wifey to B-Rax  Momma to Cartman 10-30-2006.  Gryff 5-7-2008.  angel.gif 8-15-2010.  My rainbow1284.gif baby Babs 11-13-11.  Due with #4 in May/June.  Gluten-Free. Raw milk drinkers. Urban homesteaders.
 teapot2.GIF  delayedvax.gif  selectivevax.gif  nocirc.gif  cd.gif  knit.gif  chicken3.gif  waterbirth.jpg 

Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexysisam View Post
http://www.mbmeatpacking.com/

We always do MB Meat Packing. They are up in Tremonton but make monthly (or 2 x per month, I can't remember) trips to Salt Lake to deliver. We always buy the hamburger cow which is $1/lb hanging weight which works out to $2/lb of actual hamburger. We also get the bones for making stock and the tallow (which they melt down for free for you). Then we usually get some steaks and sausage just by the pound. You do have to specify that you want grass-fed since they have both grass-fed and grain-fed.

Their meat is not certified organic, but it's antibiotic-free and hormone-free. We have bought 2 cows from them as an extended family over the past year and we all have been VERY happy. It's the best meat we've ever had. You can also buy a 1/4 or 1/2 cow, but the smaller animals you usually have to buy the whole thing.

BTW, if anyone has a good chicken place that isn't expensive, I would be interested. I'm not really concerned about them being fed "organic" feed. I just want them to free-range, and be antibiotic- and hormone-free
Just going to ditto all of this. We've been really happy with our meat from MB Meatpacking - and it wasn't a very long drive from West Jordan. They buy their meat from local ranchers. They have a couple of really good packages you can buy. Plus, we wanted a standing rib roast - they were out so they gave us a prime rib for the same cost per pound. So excited to eat it for Christmas.

We're also looking for a good chicken place with the same requirements. It shouldn't be this difficult, should it?

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Chickens:
Not in Utah, but close (from SLC about 80 miles). Maybe if we all pitched in, one could do the drive and bring everyones chickens to Utah? I was thinking of doing it once a month (my freezer isn't big enough to buy a lot at a time).
http://www.runningwaterfarms.com/
the current order form says they are sold out of chickens. I called and she said a new order form will be up in January and to order quickly because they go fast.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Rico Local carries a selection of local/grass fed meats.
I usually pick up several packs of meat out of the freezer when I pick up my raw milk. They always have some things available.

You can also look here.

As far as chickens go. This year we raised our own. I have a freezer FULL of home grown, pastured, happy, healthy chickens. It was pretty easy to do. They were ready for harvest in only 8 weeks. They only ended up costing about $8-10 per whole bird. They weighed in at 4-5 lbs. apiece.

I might be adding rabbits to the home-grown next year. We will see!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakah View Post
Chickens:
Not in Utah, but close (from SLC about 80 miles). Maybe if we all pitched in, one could do the drive and bring everyones chickens to Utah? I was thinking of doing it once a month (my freezer isn't big enough to buy a lot at a time).
http://www.runningwaterfarms.com/
the current order form says they are sold out of chickens. I called and she said a new order form will be up in January and to order quickly because they go fast.
I would definitely be in for this. I would be willing to make the drive the first month.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 AM

I think that Snider's Meats in S. Ogden offers this. (I'm not sure though)

A belly dancing, coffee loving, WoW nerd, first timer, mama!
Old 01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

salt_phoenix- how much land are you on? We're hoping to raise some this year ourselves but we have a pretty tiny lot. We're trying to figure out the best way to get the healthiest chickens. Thanks!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:20 PM

you don't need much space to have chickens. if you want to free range them AND keep a garden or plants though, you will need to separate them... WELL.

I am on .48 acre, but you can raise a few hens on a regular city lot easy.

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:17 PM

Subbing

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

Old 02-04-2010, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Rico Local carries a selection of local/grass fed meats.
I usually pick up several packs of meat out of the freezer when I pick up my raw milk. They always have some things available.

You can also look here.

As far as chickens go. This year we raised our own. I have a freezer FULL of home grown, pastured, happy, healthy chickens. It was pretty easy to do. They were ready for harvest in only 8 weeks. They only ended up costing about $8-10 per whole bird. They weighed in at 4-5 lbs. apiece.

I might be adding rabbits to the home-grown next year. We will see!
Wait, WHAT?? There is Raw milk in SLC? Is it raw cow's milk? THe closeest I knew about was heber! I just passed the old rico store and noticed it was a food co op, I am so excited to check it out!
As for grass fed, all these local companies are much better to support than the big guys, but if you don't want to wait for one of the monthly shipments, or can't store what you need for the month, Whole foods has a few varieies of grass fed. I don't know if they are free range, but grass fed for sure. I am excited to buy for the local "little guys" though! Thanks for all the great reccomendations on here!!

...anyone know of anymore places to get raw cow's milk? (I can't have the goats milk)
Old 05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
JMJ

bump

Liberty Heights Fresh Market has local grassfed beef and lamb. They said they'll be getting chickens soon. Does anybody have any information about grassfed milk, raw or pasturized without driving to Heber? I'm in SLC.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I'm looking to buy grass fed and purely natural beef, pork and chicken. I'm in SLC, but would be willing to take a somewhat short drive to get some! Anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you!

Hi, there IS a place where you can get beyond organic, all natural, purely grass fed beef in SLC. My dad raises delicious grass fed beef on his ranch and delivers anywhere along the Wasatch Front for free. It is a flat price of $3.50 per pound no matter which cuts. The best steaks and roasts are all the same price as hamburger. You can call him anytime at (801) EAT-BEEF (801) 328-2333. You can also check out his blog. WARNING: Once you get accustomed to eating locally raised, hormone-free grass fed beef, you'll never be able to go back to the store bought stuff. jaw2.gif

Old 03-07-2012, 01:34 PM

If you want to buy <a href="http://www.lacensebeef.com/catalog/new-fall-catalog.aspx">Grass Fed Beef</a>, you don't need to drive anywhere. When I first decided to switch to natural beef, I started asking around and my brother told me to just go online and take a look at LaCense. Well, it had to happen eventually, so I actually listened to him and gave their natural beef a try. Big brother was actually right. Their grass fed beef is delicious and I don't have to drive anywhere. They send it right to me. You should take a look when you are weighing your options.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Message Deleted
Old 04-06-2012, 01:01 AM

I'm going to try out utahnaturalmeat this weekend! I'll let you know. Also, check out www.localharvest.com. You can search your area for all kinds of local foods and things.

Molly - First time mommy to Hank, born 9/8/12 out-of-hospital. joy.gifMarried DH 9/25/10 heartbeat.gif signcirc1.gif lactivist.gif cd.gif  femalesling.GIF Paleo/Primal lifestyle and outdoor enthusiast!

User Tag List