visiting Phoenix/Scottsdale - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-03-2009, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where would you recommend staying in Scottsdale (or Phoenix)? Ideally it would be walking distance to fun things to do. And not super expensive.

I like coffee and unique shops, parks, bars, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

In doing some digging, I see Scottsdale has a historic downdown. Where would you say is the center of the downtown? Farmers market? Or what place can I look up to find nearby hotels?

Are the trollies always running?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:16 PM

There is a Days Inn at Scottsdale Fashion Square, which is a typical mall with some upscale stores, movie theater, food court, etc. It is very, very close to downtown Scottsdale (walkable), the main library, and other ammenities. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
If you are coming this time of year its 'tourist' season and things (rooms) are expenisve, especially Scottsdale. That is just the nature of the entertainment business.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 12-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Scottsdale is pretty touristy with a lot of galleries, restaurants, pretty park area, etc, all in a Western theme.

You also might want to check out downtown Tempe. It is a college town, so has a younger crowd than Scottsdale, but has great stores, coffee, restaurants, (small) farmer's market, lake, bike paths, small mountain to climb, clubs/bars, etc - all family friendly (except the bars, of course ).

Here is a hotel in downtown that has pics of some of the attractions of the area, that are all walking distance:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel...empe-downtown/

You would also be right by the light rail (http://www.valleymetro.org/metro_light_rail), which you can take to downtown Phoenix to do many things: better, bigger farmer's market, science center, children's museum, and more coffee.

Personally, I prefer Tempe over Scottsdale, but both are nice and you will love the weather! Well, when will you be here?

to dh , dd 18 , dd 13 , ds 10 , & ds 6
hale
Old 01-04-2010, 09:32 PM

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but we're also planning to visiting the Phoenix area (actually Mesa) for Spring Training. We'll have free time in the evenings and all day on a Sunday, so I was coming to this tribe to see if anyone had any recommendations for things to do. We're thinking about taking a day tour to the Grand Canyon, but what else would you guys recommend?
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The grand canyon is a LONG day trip to go up and back in one day but its a beautiful trip.
Phoenix has 2 zoos, the phoenix zoo and wildlife world zoo (I prefer this one). There is also Out of africa zoo about an hr north of the city.
The desert botanical gardens are super as well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Old 01-07-2010, 02:20 PM

A trip to the Grand Canyon would be fun and can be done in a day, but that is very rushed and tiring! Do you have children? The GC can also not be fun if you have small children. It is a huge hole in the ground and you have to watch the kids like hawks! If you have time, stay a night in Flagstaff where you can hang out downtown and go to Thorpe Park and the observatory, then head up to the Canyon.

If you don't have time to go to the Canyon, you can take a fun day trip to Sedona or Flagstaff.

When you're in Mesa, you can visit downtown Tempe (see above ), downtown Mesa (a great Mexican food restaurant called Mangos & a used bookstore), the Riparian Preserve in Gilbert.... I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

to dh , dd 18 , dd 13 , ds 10 , & ds 6
hale

User Tag List