Anyone have a great birth exp. at TMC Tucson? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am currently hoping to deliver in April at the Birth Center (all going well). However, if something 'risks me out' of there, TMC is the alternative.

Ive heard horrible things about TMC and it's my biggest fear that I might have to deliver there. Even the thought makes my heart race.

I want a natural birth and I do not want my baby taken from me, not even for a second (unless its an emergency of course).

I need to hear some good stories from TMC before I drive myself nuts.

I would honestly prefer a back up plan of a home birth (if I go over 41 weeks etc) but they are banned on AirForce bases yeah...they're a REALLY open minded bunch here

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#2 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Do you have a friend off base who will open their house to you in case you need a "home" birth?

I worked at TMC in the 80s. My experience then, and every contact I've had with them since, is that they are really nice to you if you follow their rules. It's when you don't want to follow their rules that you can have issues.

I had pre-term contractions in 2005 and the birth center midwives sent me to TMC for observation. I am an RN so I have no problem calling the shots with other nurses. I told them this is how I was doing it and didn't give them any choices. It was okay, though I'm sure they gossiped about me at the nurses station.

I wrote 3 birth plans. One for the birth center, one if I went to TMC for some minor issue, and one if I had to have a life or death c/section. In the minor TMC one I said something like, "No one is to touch my baby for any reason without asking my permission first." I wouldn't get to into a lot of detail since you don't want it watered down, but that would be the biggie for me.

When my son was admitted to the peds unit at 16 days of age for breastmilk jaundice (it's very rare,) we had a lot of problems. Most I took care of because of being assertive. Being an RN did help since I knew what was going on and how to do things better than what they were trying to do. Like when they needed to do a heal stick and they were going to stick him twice instead of once. Or when I insisted he nurse when they stuck him instead of mummy wrapping him. I really don't like that hospital. Every time my kids have needed to go to the ER, I always go to UMC even though our pediatrician uses TMC.

Bottom line, just be prepared to tell them what will be happening. Remember, this is your baby and you make the decisions. For your labor you will have the midwife there. Talk to your pediatrician about getting an order to discharge baby at 6 hours. Go home as soon as you can.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Im just wondering how I stand ...legally I guess. With my son (who was born in an English hospital) they never took him from me and we were discharged from the hospital after 6hrs (had a 'normal' delivery).

So, im quite prepared to tell them not to touch my baby without my concent and not to remove him/her from the room unless it's a critical situation. I also want to 'discharge' myself from the hospital after a few hrs (as long as we're both ok). Im scared that here in the US they can pull the 'do as we say or we call CPS' card

#4 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post
Im just wondering how I stand ...legally I guess. With my son (who was born in an English hospital) they never took him from me and we were discharged from the hospital after 6hrs (had a 'normal' delivery).

So, im quite prepared to tell them not to touch my baby without my concent and not to remove him/her from the room unless it's a critical situation. I also want to 'discharge' myself from the hospital after a few hrs (as long as we're both ok). Im scared that here in the US they can pull the 'do as we say or we call CPS' card
from what I know, they do use that card a lot. UMC used it on me when I had dd1.

i have a friend who had a really decent delivery with the birth center midwives at TMC and her midwife really advocated for her to keep the baby in the room as much as possible... and she went home the next day.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#5 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
from what I know, they do use that card a lot. UMC used it on me when I had dd1.

i have a friend who had a really decent delivery with the birth center midwives at TMC and her midwife really advocated for her to keep the baby in the room as much as possible... and she went home the next day.

that's good to hear. My husband thinks im just worrying needlessly, but ive really got my knickers in a twist over this one. I will talk to my midwife at my next appointment-that's in 3 weeks though.

Im such a loser, once I get a worry in my head, that's it

#6 of 10 Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbamummy View Post

Actually, I wouldn't worry about CPS as much as your insurance. If you sign yourself out of the hospital without a midwife/pediatrician's order, the insurance company may refuse to pay. The easy solution is to have both your midwife and pediatrician sign orders for discharge early.

As far as the legalities of them not taking the baby out of the room. Unless there is a bona fide problem, when you would WANT them to do interventions, it is your baby. They do not have the legal right to touch your baby without your consent.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 10 Old 12-23-2009, 03:56 AM

I know one friend who went in to TMC from the birthcenter with a distressed baby at 40 weeks. She had low amniotic fluid and had to deliver there. She rocked it... had a natural birth with the midwife on duty. She said her experience was fine.

I delivered at the birth center but on my 41st week they had to do a more thorough check of my amniotic fluid levels and so sent me to TMC - not labor and delivery but the place you go right before that - I forget what it is called. Anyway while in there the nurses started freaking out a little telling me I had no fluid left and needed to deliver right away... they would get me admitted and started on induction.... um, excuse me but NOOOO.

So I called my midwife and said that I would come back to the BC to deliver or I would go home. THey are so cool. She said come on back and we will see. So I went to the BC with the nurses coming after me saying they would see me later and I did deliver at the BC. The doctor on duty (that the midwives work with) recommended I deliver at the TMC, but the midwives stood by me and let me deliver at the BC. My baby was not in great distress so they were able to do this.

Anyway, I think it is important to think your birth scenario through and be prepared for alternatives, but also keep in mind that you are in charge, that you can create your birth and lots of healthy happy babies are born at TMC too. I would have gone ther if I had too with the same concerns you have.

Good Luck
#8 of 10 Old 12-24-2009, 07:42 PM

You can home birth on base - just keep quiet about it, kwim? I had dd on DM 2.5 yrs ago. I also got it partially covered under tricare standard ($1400).

Are the houses on Ironwood across from the old elementary school still standing? I'm still attached to the house where dd was born.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#9 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallulahma View Post
I also have a friend who delivered at TMC because things stalled out after >24hrs labor at the BWHC. She was TERRIFIED of delivering in the hospital. She had a great experience, all things considered. They ended up staying at TMC only 2 hrs before going back over to the Birth Center,

Proud Mama to West - a delightful 3 yr old who loves to blowkiss.gif and  familybed1.gif.  Excited for a new little bean in late April 2013!

#10 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 05:49 PM

I'm going to be delivering at TMC myself. As far as good experiences go-- my sister ended up there in 2003 when she had her daughter; she risked out of the birth center at the end of her pregnancy when her labor stalled. The only time her daughter was taken from the room was for the hearing test; the rest of the time, everything was done in room. She only stayed overnight as well. She has reassured me over and over that they will listen if you present what you want clearly and stick to your guns, so that's our plan! If you're really super concerned about it, make sure you have a detailed birth plan and make sure your husband is on board with advocating for you, just in case you're in a weird place where you can't fight for yourself!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page