Another 'good ped in Tucson' thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-21-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read through all the threads I can find in this forum that talk about 'non/delayed/selctive vax peds' in Tucson.

I have found lots of people mention Catalina pediatrics...and they dont take our insurance

Is there anymore that are delayed vax/non circ friendly?

I am currently registered at the clinic on the AF base (yeah...less than great ) and im hoping to convince Tricare that I need an offbase ped. (my friend managed it, so im hopeful )

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 12-26-2009, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've heard good things about Sandy (Sanford) Newmark, or maybe it's Newman, at UMC pediatric clinic.

Also, I've heard about a clinic downtown at Congress Street Health care, or something like that.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 10 Old 01-02-2010, 03:10 PM

anyone else?
#4 of 10 Old 01-04-2010, 12:34 AM

Newmark may or may not work out.....I know he hassled a family here in town about not getting their vaxes up to date to complete their adoption but I don't know if that's typical or not...that might have been a special case.
We go to Cushing Street Family Practice and they didn't blink when I said neither children would get vaxed. They are awesome there.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#5 of 10 Old 03-02-2010, 11:39 AM

We have been with Dr McFarren at Desert Pediatrics and don't love him. Yes, he'll let you wait on vaccines, but eventually he wants you on board. He was also not thrilled that we didn't circ...and tried to stretch DS's foreskin! We are in the process of switching now.

I have heard good things about Clara Vista Pediatrics (@Speedway & Pantano), but have no personal exp. there...

Proud Mama to West - a delightful 3 yr old who loves to blowkiss.gif and  familybed1.gif.  Excited for a new little bean in late April 2013!

#6 of 10 Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM

Hey I don't live in Tucson anymore but is Lt Col Murphy still on base? She was a NP for the peds. Kids weren't usually getting assigned to her when I was there - she was usually just sort of the back up I guess but she was really great. She didn't give me heck for not vaxing - I told her it was against my beliefs (it's not but whatever lol) and she never brought it up again. She marveled at my home birth. She thought the cloth diapers were funny and could never re-snap them. She never pushed solids early, CIO, etc. Even when dd was allergic to everything (her and I were only on 6 foods!) she only said, "I know you'll probably say no but would you like me to write you prescription for neocate?" I declined and she dropped it.

When my first was jaundiced she never said anything about formula. She just said to nurse as much as possible and get him in the sun even though his levels were pretty high.

Anyways my first was assigned to her because when he was born it was only her and one other ped. When dd was born they assigned her to one of the doctors and we called and switched her to Col Murphy.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
#7 of 10 Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM

Col Murphy is now retired and working w/ Dr. Goodsite, who has been practicing since the early 70's. While she is still as awesome as she always was, he is not at all "crunchy" friendly and can and will "fire" those who delay and selectively vax.
#8 of 10 Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have lots of friends who take their kids to Clara Vista and Mesquite Peds. No idea how they are on vaxes.

My son goes to Tanque Verde Peds. We love them. HOWEVER, I was turned off by the letter we got prior to his first visit, stating that they believe in vaxing on schedule and if you don't want to vax, don't come to the practice. That being said, they didn't force DS to get the chicken pox vax or flu shots, and they didn't force the prescribed schedule on him. Since he was in foster care, he HAD to be vaxed, so I don't know how flexible they would have been if I'd wanted to refuse all vaxes across the board, but it's worth talking to the doctor one-on-one if you like everything else about the practice.

Also, DS is not circed and they have never ever touched his foreskin or made any attempt to force retraction, so I see that as a good thing.
#9 of 10 Old 04-17-2010, 08:24 PM

you know i actually NEVER had a problem on base about vax's. well with ds i didn't start delaying until dd was born and really i never brought it up so i guess thats why! i would just go to the visits and they'd say its time for "xyz" and i'd be like uh huh and then just not go....the docs actually didn't really have time to match up your kid to their vax and if they actually got them! there are far many other things to complain about base care! mostly that it takes FOREVER to get an appt anymore.

but anyways...i'm here trying to find another ped for new baby Reeve. I'll look into catalina but i gotta call AHCCCS and see if they accept all these people! so FYI though Silverbell ped isn't a good choice! it was on a list the birth center gave me so i thought...hey if the birth center recomends then they must be at least a little different...guess not.
#10 of 10 Old 06-04-2010, 03:30 AM

i never really had a problem with not vaxxing on base as well, though i never cared for any of the providers there, their personalities and stuff. its very easy to get an offbase provider, especially now since they're understaffed. they actually had to send one of my kids off-base because his provider left. if you go in to the tricare office, talk to madeline. she's super nice!

i just recently switched my kids to have a DO (doctor of osteopath) be their PCM. took them today for their first check up. i told him flat out that i don't vaccinate, and he said that their office doesn't offer vaccines, and while he, personally, thought they were good, he totally respects my choice. he didn't even flinch when i mentioned i'm still nursing my 18 month old. he seemed like a nice guy all-around, though the appointment was pretty basic, he just checked their eyes and ears and stuff, weighed them. never checked under the cloth diaper my boys are 18 months and 3, though. i don't know how he handles newborns, or how he deals with intact boys. anyway, since tricare doesn't cover naturopaths or chiros, i figured a DO was my next best bet. we're probably not going to be here too much longer, and i don't routinely do well-child checks (this was the first in over a year). the guy i took them to was Dr. Scott, he's on Glenn near craycroft, is covered through tricare and currently accepting new patients, and takes kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page