I need advice - camping in Utah/dinosaur sites - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone! We live in Washington State and are hoping to do a week of camping in Utah this summer in order to see some cool dinosaur excavation sites and museums. Can anybody recommend some campgrounds, museums, etc? We are tent campers. Any advice is appreciated.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-01-2010, 02:11 AM
Banned

I don't know about dinosaur sites, but if you have younger kids, camping in Goblin Valley is sooooooo much fun. We climbed for hours.

There is a dinosaur museum in Lehi that is pretty cool, the museum of ancient life.
#3 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 12:00 AM

dinosaur national monument has decent camp grounds, if you want camp ground camping. fun stuff to do in the general area. google flaming gorge dam and ashley national forest. i'm sure lots of stuff around there will come up. my family has a cabin in the area and we love it. dinosaurs are fun, but there are gobs of archeological sites in the area, too. you can float the green if your kids aren't too young.
#4 of 6 Old 01-02-2010, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions! Anybody else???
#5 of 6 Old 01-08-2010, 07:24 PM

The dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point is quite good! Great for kids as there are lots of hands on activities. DH and I had fun just by going by ourselves! A beautiful hike good for camping not too far from there is Dog Lake from the Mill...D? North Fork trail. The Mill (D?) South fork trail also goes to a cold waterfall called Donut Falls (the pouring water made a donut hole in a rock with a cave underneath after a long time - it's pretty cool, but you have to climb a little to actually get to the cave, not sure how appropriate that would be. It's not too hard, just cold, and not places really for camping there). These are all in the Salk Lake/Utah Valley area.
#6 of 6 Old 01-15-2010, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dinosaur and Prehistoric adventures

I think this website may have the info you're looking for.

I got a good guidebook from the library to take with me while I was traveling...it was really handy to be able to look up any hikes or nearby restaurants while we were in the car.

When we went camping in Moab it seems like there were some hikes in my guidebook that said they showed prehistoric fossils...but I can't find what hikes they are now..sorry!

Have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page