Salt Lake City chat and meetup 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 02:14 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy New Year, Salt Lake City mamas!

This year we'd love to make some new friends in our area, so let me introduce myself:

I'm Leah, SAHM of Andrew, 2.75yo and Jane, 10mo. We live in Draper at point of the mountain, about as far south as you can go before you get to Utah valley.

We'd love to meet up with some other moms and kiddos in the Salt Lake valley, or just get to know you here!

So who's here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Hi! I actually live in Farmington, but I am in SLC pretty often.

I'm Elizabeth, student mama to 2 boys- 2 1/2 and 6 months

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 03:36 PM

Leah, I am so south-er than you :P

Now that the holidays are over Toby (23 months) and I are pretty free to play whenever. Except today

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#4 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Welcome, LizzyQ!

Where are you going to school?

Your kids are right around the same ages as mine.
#5 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
We live in Draper at point of the mountain, about as far south as you can go before you get to Utah valley.
#6 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Welcome, LizzyQ!

Where are you going to school?

Your kids are right around the same ages as mine.
I'm going to slcc now and the u starting this fall.

#7 of 296 Old 01-01-2010, 11:47 PM

I'm Heather, just moved here (right before the storm!) with my dh and 4 year old dd. We are expecting her brother and sister via a surrogate mother in April. I'd love to meet up with you guys!
#8 of 296 Old 01-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Livia a SAHM to Landon who is 11 months. We live in Murray but will be moving within the next month or so to Riverton

LizzyQ, that's great that you're going to SLCC I'll be going there this spring semester.

Hopefully we can all meet up soon!
#9 of 296 Old 01-04-2010, 07:37 PM

LIVVY I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE MOVING TO RIVERTON. Now we can hang out more

So, anyone want to go swimming later this month? I was thinking towards the tail end of the month would be good. We could go to the Lehi pool, or if there is one in Salt Lake I don't know about, we could go there. Wherever, I just want to SWIM.

Kris - married to Nate since 12/06, mom to Toby since 1/08. Also servant to two felines. Done having babies for medical reasons.

#10 of 296 Old 01-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisis View Post
LIVVY I AM SO HAPPY YOU ARE MOVING TO RIVERTON. Now we can hang out more

So, anyone want to go swimming later this month? I was thinking towards the tail end of the month would be good. We could go to the Lehi pool, or if there is one in Salt Lake I don't know about, we could go there. Wherever, I just want to SWIM.
Murray has a pretty good pool, we used to take Seb there for swim lessons when we lived there.

#11 of 296 Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Yay, Livia! Now we can play!

Swimming sounds fun. Let's get it in the works.

I have a 2-for-1 pass to the Children's museum at the Gateway. Anyone want to bum along with me?
#12 of 296 Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

I'm about to buy a membership to the Children's museum. I think I've finally convinced myself that it will be worth it and parking or taking Trax won't be too too bad. I hope. Let me know when you are going and I'll meet you there with my shiny new membership.

By way of introduction, my name is Rachel and my daughter (Tamsin) is 18 months old. We live in West Jordan.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#13 of 296 Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Hello everyone! I'm Melissa, temp, possibly permanent SAHM to DS Xavian, who is 6 weeks today.

We live in Murray. I'm really looking forward to meeting some mamas and other babies/kids in SLC.

Mama to Xavian, born 11-24-09
#14 of 296 Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM

I know I'm soooo excited to hang out with you guys more and have neighbors!

We love swimming. We'd go for sure! I used to take Landon to Dive Utah, they're okay but I prefer going to the murray rec center's pool here hehe. However we'll go anywhere with a swimming pool to swim!

Leah let me know when you guys go to the museum! We'd love to go (this time for sure hehe )

Rachel that's great you got a membership there, we thought about it but we can't afford it now since we're buying a house.

Xavismom welcome !
#15 of 296 Old 01-08-2010, 03:13 PM

We are going to try and get my parents to pitch in for a Discovery Museum pass for Toby's birthday. I can't believe he's almost TWO. I can't believe we've survived THIS LONG.

Seriously.

Two years ago I was still pregnant... on bed-rest.... had just been told the baby probably wouldn't make it longer than 35 weeks... ha ha, little did the doctors know I would deliver at 33 weeks. of course if they had listened to me they would have been better prepared for that, idiots. I hate Arkansas.

Then again I wasn't particularly prepared either. Oops.

Toby and I both have the Creeping Crap this week. We haven't left the house since Tuesday and we are both going nuts. I think we're going to head to the mall in a couple of hours and just walk around/do the play place/GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. I'm totally frustrated because I had plans to start doing sooo much for the new year, cleaning and exercising and doing more things with Toby and then of course we get sick. I wanted to start taking him outside every day for 30 minutes, but I worry about both our lungs since we are both preemies and both sick. I guess we'll wait on that idea.

Let's resume normal playgroup next Friday, yes? And maybe we can set down a solid date for swimming. I vote for the 22nd at the Murray Pool. I would like to host playgroup at my house on the 29th - we're going to have a little party for Toby

#16 of 296 Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Kris, you crack me up . "Creeping Crap", I know just what you mean. I hope you both feel better soon. I don't know if it works for you, but being outside in the cold air actually helps me feel a little bit better when I'm sick. Even just doing a 5 min fresh air swap in my house makes me feel a little bit better.

When I was in a regular playgroup in CA, we had a sign up sheet, that way people could take birthdays or holidays that they wanted to host. I don't know if we're "regular" enough yet to do it, but it might help us get on more of a schedule. I'm up for next Friday, and I wouldn't mind hosting at my place.

Jane will be one soon. She had her 9 mo ped visit (a month late) today, and she is doing so well. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that ped that you recommended to me, Kris. She didn't ask about sleep at all, and seemed totally comfortable with whatever I wanted to do WRT sleep and vaxes. She also remembered everything that happened in Andrew's previous visit (initial eval) and wanted to do a follow up, even though it wasn't his appointment. She told me she would contact me by phone as soon as she had the report from the dev ped to discuss our options. She made me feel really well taken care of and empowered overall.

Sorry for the tangent, just needed to say thanks for the rec.
#17 of 296 Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Toby and I both have the Creeping Crap this week. We haven't left the house since Tuesday and we are both going nuts. I think we're going to head to the mall in a couple of hours and just walk around/do the play place/GET OUT OF THE HOUSE. I'm totally frustrated because I had plans to start doing sooo much for the new year, cleaning and exercising and doing more things with Toby and then of course we get sick. I wanted to start taking him outside every day for 30 minutes, but I worry about both our lungs since we are both preemies and both sick. I guess we'll wait on that idea.

Let's resume normal playgroup next Friday, yes? And maybe we can set down a solid date for swimming. I vote for the 22nd at the Murray Pool. I would like to host playgroup at my house on the 29th - we're going to have a little party for Toby
01-05-2010 03:53 PM
Haha Kris you're too funny. I know exactly what you mean. We're sick here too. Just got a cold over the weekend, uggh! It's the first time Landon has been sick too and of course my husband got sick from us. Yeah, we've been stuck at home this whole time. Not fun!

Quote:
I don't know if it works for you, but being outside in the cold air actually helps me feel a little bit better when I'm sick. Even just doing a 5 min fresh air swap in my house makes me feel a little bit better.
Yeah same here, but living right by 45th south sucks because of all the pollution, so I tend to be inside more. Another reason why I'm so happy we're moving because it's in an actual neighborhood and I can open the windows all I want and not have to hear loud noises lol.

Anyway about playgroup, if we're feeling better and we should be then we'd love to come. Also I think the sign up sheet for hosting is a great idea. I'm one of those people that benefit a lot from a schedule . Once we move I definitely want to host playgroups there. Right now we're in the middle of packing and having to clean everything and taking pictures so we can rent this part of our unit. But I just want to apologize because I never hosted playgroup at my house. The 22nd works fine for us for swimming, and Kris we'll definitely be there for Toby's party on the 29th.

Sorry guys for the long post
#18 of 296 Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM

I think I am canceling the party actually. Well, I'll host playgroup but we'll just do cake and nothing fancy like what I was planning with decorations and favors and stuff. My bestest friend is moving away on the 24th and I am devastated over that, plus I have pneumonia and am not supposed to be doing much. So if I am better by the 29th I'll host and we'll do cake, but if I'm not better I can't promise anything

#19 of 296 Old 01-13-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

I can make the cake if you like, Kris. That way you wouldn't have to work too hard!

Guys, I would love to host this week, but Andrew is cycling back up to crazy anxiety again, and I just don't think it's a good idea to plan anything. Plus he's waking up at progressively earlier hours of the morning, so I am just dead.

I hate that we haven't gotten this group off the ground yet, so we could maybe plan an outing instead and then if we have a good day, we can come?
#20 of 296 Old 01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
JMJ

Hey Mammas. Can I chime in and ask you how you handle this air with kids? This is my first winter with a babe here, and she's coughing and miserable.
#21 of 296 Old 01-14-2010, 01:30 AM

Kris I'm sorry you're going through this, Leah if you make the cake I can bring some appetizers, that is if you feel up to it Kris.

Leah I'm sorry you're going through this with Andrew. I have no idea how it's like dealing with a kid that has sensory issues, but I hope it gets better. I like your idea of having playgroup in an outing and going there, we could start doing it at the southtowne mall again.

JMJ basically we stay inside as much as possible (ds has been sick anyway) I'm a sahm though. Since sometimes we don't have a choice like when I have to run errands I just make sure that Landon takes a multi vit, and I give him extra vit C and D plus probiotics. We also invested on a good humidifier and an air purifier so I know in my house we're okay. Then we hope for rain or snow to clear it since the air is bad because it's trapped between the mountains. I know that in Utah county the air is a little better and tomorrow we're supposed to have a little bit of snow, hopefully enough to clear out the bad air here in salt lake. Hope this helps
#22 of 296 Old 01-15-2010, 01:16 PM

I've just started watching my neice (3) and nephew (5) while my sister works. Can I bring them to the playdates? And I'm willing to host whenever. But trips to places like swimming and the Discovery museum probably won't work.

JMJ - I just don't think about it. There are so many things that we're supposed to worry about that I just had to draw the line somewhere. As it is, though, last year, we never went out, but she was so little she didn't notice. This year, I try to go to indoor play areas, but that's more because I can't stand being out in the cold than the air. I guess my aversion to cold protects us from the bad air, y'know?

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#23 of 296 Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Rachel, yes of course. My son Landon who is almost walking loooves to play with the big kids. Since he figured out that he can stand all by himself for like a minute or two it's been like a whole new world of exploring for him.

I'm sorry we didn't do anything this friday. Yesterday was the WORST night ever. Landon woke up normally to feed and I gave him a bottle, afterwards he just would not go to sleep. Mike and I tried everything! Finally when he was going to sleep he had like two nightmares/tremors...(not sure what it's called) anyway he woke up scared twice and the second time crying, but it was a different cry than the I'm in pain cry. Well needless to say I'm a wreck lol. Though I'd love the idea of meeting somewhere since my house is full of boxes and stuff (Landon must think it's disneyland since he is loving the boxes lol). We could start playgroup by going swimming next week, and would everyone be okay meeting at the southtowne mall every Friday? They have the kids play area. I could also host I don't mind at all, if you guys don't mind the boxes and the mess hehe. As soon as we move though I'm hosting in that house.
#24 of 296 Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
This year, I try to go to indoor play areas, but that's more because I can't stand being out in the cold than the air. I guess my aversion to cold protects us from the bad air, y'know?
Same here, I hate the cold, yeah we try not to think about it as much either.
#25 of 296 Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

So, I know it's short notice, but does anyone want to play tomorrow? My house is mostly clean so just come on over! Or we can meet somewhere! Whatever, we just want to play.

If not, let's do normal playgroup on Friday at the mall? We may go super early before the mall opens to run off steam and stay for a while when everyone shows up. I think part of our group problem is that my kids are early risers (6 AM) and everyone else (including me!) doesn't get going until 10ish, when my kids are starting to be a wreck. Why why can't they just sleep longer!

Hooray for snow that cleared the air. It's nice to see the mountains again.
#26 of 296 Old 01-21-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
So, I know it's short notice, but does anyone want to play tomorrow? My house is mostly clean so just come on over! Or we can meet somewhere! Whatever, we just want to play.

If not, let's do normal playgroup on Friday at the mall? We may go super early before the mall opens to run off steam and stay for a while when everyone shows up. I think part of our group problem is that my kids are early risers (6 AM) and everyone else (including me!) doesn't get going until 10ish, when my kids are starting to be a wreck. Why why can't they just sleep longer!

I'll meet you there early. Kids are bored and looking for excitement by about 9:00 around here...

#27 of 296 Old 01-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Hey Leah thanks for the invite. Things have been crazy here because my parents are visiting. They also only have a few days to get their house ready to be rented. Anyway I know tomorrow Kris wanted to go swimming and I was going to go with Landon and my mom but she's getting her hair done, and she needs my car to go to her hairdresser.

Anyway I want to go to the mall tomorrow but I wont have a car since my mom is using my car to go to her hairdresser. However I do need to go to the mall and wer're gonna go probably sometime in the afternoon.

Quote:
I think part of our group problem is that my kids are early risers (6 AM) and everyone else (including me!) doesn't get going until 10ish, when my kids are starting to be a wreck. Why why can't they just sleep longer!

Yeah same here hehe, except Landon wakes up around eight-ish, and I am so not a morning person....lol. However since I work my schedule around Landon's we could meet up earlier on Fridays? Around eleven is when Landon takes his naps. We could meet up at my house tomorrow. I can shove the boxes in our extra room.

Even though I absolutely haaate the snow I was really glad for it. Finally we can breathe a little healthier
#28 of 296 Old 01-22-2010, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Don't know if we missed everyone, but we were running all over the mall. Andrew totally pooped himself out and both kids passed out on the way home at noon. Andrew's not normally a napper, so this is a great break for me! Ah, peace.

I got a lot of exercise this morning running around. I was wondering if anyone wants to be my walking buddy. DH keeps wanting to go for walks, but the only time he can go is in the evening when the kids are tired and it's really cold outside. I don't think he's a very good walking buddy, but I don't think I'll do it if I don't have some motivation.

Kris, are you out there? Are you still sick?
#29 of 296 Old 01-27-2010, 02:01 AM

Oh Leah, can I be your walking buddy? Please?

We've had a hell of a week. I still have pneumonia, but not as bad as it was. I also came down with some intestinal bug for 4 days. Then Toby came down with it. Ugh, that was a nightmare.

So are we still doing playgroup here on Friday? Let me know so I can decide whether to clean the house or not

#30 of 296 Old 01-27-2010, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Kris, sending for health for you and Toby. Sounds like no fun at all.

Yes, you can be my walking buddy . Idealy, I'd like to walk about 3-4 times a week, but I'd start with just one for now. Some exercise is better than none, right? Baby steps. What day sounds good to you?

I'll come for Friday if you still are up for it, Kris. I can also still make cake or bring something else if you want. I make a mean carrot cake .

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page