Playgroup in Tucson 2010 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IT'S A GIRL!

Had my baby girl this morning at 9:30 am after a night of pretty darn hard labor (definitely thought more than once "ya know, I already did this natural childbirth thing once. what have I got to prove??). Amy and Sarah were great, my birth support team was incredible, and Rob was a champ as always. But the guy who really got me through was Carter, who giggled and yelled "baby baby!" as she crowned. It was such a thrill to have him there.

Her name is Hazel, and she is a whopper at 9 lbs 7 oz. We are resting now, waiting for life to really flip upside down when my mom brings Carter back over and we have TWO KIDS!!!!

Whew.
#122 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 PM

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am teary right now. I so knew you were having a girl. Wonderful, fabulous news.

Sorry you had a hard labor. Rest up. Rest up. Rest up. Happy baby moon and much love to you all.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#123 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 PM

I've never met any of you, but hopefully I will soon! Congratulations, mama! Can't wait to see pics!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#124 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Congratulations Sarah. I'm finding that little girls really are different than boys. We had plenty of dolls around the house when our guy was little. Except for the time he drew on one they were totally ignored. Our little girl is all about babies. The pretend kind and the real kind.

You are in for a new kind of adventure. Enjoy!!!

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#125 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 09:33 PM

Congrats Sarah, Rob, and big brother Carter!

(nak)
#126 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Congrats, Sarah!! I am so excited for you and your family! Hope everything is settling perfectly. Also I second what Pam said. Before we had Aurin, I had thought that the differences were largely a nurture thing but they really are INCREDIBLY different. It is a whole new exciting experience. At least for us, one is naturally a little bam-bam and the other is naturally a little nurturing mother.
Can't wait to see everyone again one of these days. It's been months!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#127 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well, we may not be havin' more babies at our house, but we did have what passes for excitement tonight...

I made my first beets. (lol)

Roasted them in the oven with oil and garlic. Left them in the perfect amount of time. They were yummy.

And here really is the excitement for the night. I'M GOING TO THE MOVIES WITH A GIRLFRIEND.

My husband wants to put the kids to bed by himself tonight. (It happened by accident last night and went so well he wants to do it again.) So I get to go see Avatar in 3D.

In the 4+ years since our guy was born we only went to one night time activity--The Play Avenue Q for our 10th anniversary. Since the baby was born (18 months) we've only been out together once as a couple and the babysitter called that she was screaming half way through the movie. I think I've seen 2 other theater movies with girlfriends since she was born. So this is pretty darned excitin'.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#128 of 366 Old 02-12-2010, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, Whole Foods has organic beets for $1.50 a bunch.

#129 of 366 Old 02-13-2010, 02:54 AM

SAAAARRRRRRAAAAH!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

IM SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!

(and i soooo am tempted to wake keira and share the news!)

let us know if/when you wan/t/need us to bring you food or snacks or magazines or girl clothes or diapers or anything at all.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#130 of 366 Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM

My friend is planning an open house for us to celebrate Sofia's arrival and I'd love to invite you guys. It is next Sat between 2 & 5. If you'd like to stop by, send me a message with your email address and I'll get the evite to you.

We're headed to Himmel this morning for new year celebrations and park fun. Anyone else?

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#131 of 366 Old 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM

hey gals,

left handed naking here...

I'm just going to be honest and say that I don't think I babymoon... I feel excited about hazel and am feeling all the maternal fuzzies, but this post partum period was really hard after carter and is proving so this time, too. pretty much non stop crying anytime i'm awake (me crying, not hazel, she's busy eating!). it passed in time with carter and i know it will now, too-- i just can't help wishing i could just fast forward the next week, as terrible as that sounds.

with carter i found i really helped to reach out and be honest about how i was feeling, instead of putting the smiles on all the time, so that's what i'm doing now.... amy said to "flow with it," so I am trying to flow as best I can...

oh, and here are pics from the birth!
#132 of 366 Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Nice photos, Sarah.

I guess you've got an extended labor here. The physical pain is pretty much gone but the hormonal pain endures. Handle this the same way you did the physical labor, by letting your body do what it needs to. If you fight it you only prolong it. If it gets too hard, Amy or someone can help. Has she recommended any herbs?

If company would help we could come by for a playdate between the boys and I can hang with you. Let me know.

#133 of 366 Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Nice photos, Sarah.

I guess you've got an extended labor here. The physical pain is pretty much gone but the hormonal pain endures. Handle this the same way you did the physical labor, by letting your body do what it needs to. If you fight it you only prolong it. If it gets too hard, Amy or someone can help. Has she recommended any herbs?
That's such a great way of looking at it Pam. Thanks.

I had my placenta encapsulated--Amy said she has seen it really help in the post partum time. Her apprentice just brought it over and I took my first placenta pills, so I'm hoping that helps bring me back...
#134 of 366 Old 02-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
That's such a great way of looking at it Pam. Thanks.

I had my placenta encapsulated--Amy said she has seen it really help in the post partum time. Her apprentice just brought it over and I took my first placenta pills, so I'm hoping that helps bring me back...
the placenta helped me tons.

also get some motherswort and rescue remedy.

go sit in the sun, vit d helps.

chiro? craniosacral? you up for that? bc those would totally help.

i can come, but im doubing that my loud boistrous clan would help.

jared says being with us is like herding a pack of feral cats these days, no joke.

i dont babymoon either, for what its worth.

im up and moving, cleaning, etc . i cannot sit still and stare at a baby all day- id lose my mind... no matter how cute they are. do you have a good wrap?

i was walking outside with cedric the next day just trying to get my mind around having 3- i didnt necessarily want help... i wanted to do it all myself and was frustrated.

#135 of 366 Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Oh my goodness, Sarah. She's a beautiful newborn! She already has adorable baby chub!
Anyway, I was posting to say also that you should totally go with placenta capsules.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#136 of 366 Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM

Hi All!

I am new to this group-- heard about it from another member, Cecilia's Mama! I am excited to be here and meet some Tucson mamas!

A little bit about myself...

I am 21 years old, engaged to Bob, 5 month old daughter Avey Marie! Cloth diapering, breastfeeding, loving every moment. I am a student and employee at the University of Arizona. I'm looking to meet other Tucson mamas and little ones. I live on the east side of town.

Glad to have found this group, hope to meet you all soon!

PS

Sarah congrats on the new baby, she is beautiful!
#137 of 366 Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM

Yay, I'm glad you made it!

#138 of 366 Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Welcome, Avey's mama!

Thanks for all your support, everyone. I do think the placenta is helping--I'm definitely gaining more perspective and seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, though I'm not there quite yet. Had my first outing out of the house today to watch C ride his tricycle in the buddhist parking lot across the street--I put Hazel in the sling and 2 hours later she is still totally passed out.

I'm also realizing that a lot of the crying I'm doing is crying that would happen regardless, because my little boy is growing up and more independent and it's so bitter sweet for me. Rob has been doing the nighttime-waking comforting, and I have to admit I am shocked and how quickly Carter has taken to it. He's also started sleeping in his own bed (!!)--which is right next to our bed. I am still nursing him to sleep, but he requested that I do it in his bed instead of ours. I have been sleeping in the living room with Hazel because it's more comfortable for the nursing/lap sleeping she's doing, and I just miss Carter so much (sorry husband, don't miss you that much!).

Hazel's arrival has really brought out his independent streak and he is even more excited to be "growing up", and part of me is mourning the loss of my baby, even as another babe sleeps on my chest while I type this. Sometimes I think I'm too emotional to be a parent...
#139 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Question, mamas--- at what age do you think its appropriate to take a newborn out and about?

to the park?

to the library?

I am going SO stir crazy here. After Carter was born we were able to just hole up for a while and watch The Office... but now that we have a toddler, life does not pause! And I feel like I'm just watching and it's driving me nuts. But I don't want to push it with Hazel, or my body, either.... argh!!!
#140 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Since it's cold and flu season, I'd stay away from heavily populated places. Otherwise, a park seems like a good idea.

My babe was born in August. Parks and Rec, music, and whatever stuff we had going on was on break, so we didn't start taking her to those things until she was 3 weeks old. Had activities been going on, we probably would have jumped into them right away. It does make a difference that it was not cold and flu season.

#141 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

We're headed to the botanical gardens if anyone wants to join us. I'm bringing a picnic lunch for the kids but will likely buy myself a salad at the cafe.

#142 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

The baby climbs onto our dining table and into her highchair. I had just walked away from her playing in the chair to post my invite to TBG. I finished typing and my guy walks in the room and says she's asleep in the highchair. I couldn't believe it, but it's true.

So, who knows when we'll leave for TBG or if we'll eat here or there.

#143 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 03:24 PM

Hello!

I haven't been to a meetup in Tucson yet. I've lived in Sierra Vista for 2 years now but we are (hopefully!) moving to Benson soon, so I'll be a bit closer. Hopefully I'll be able to swing by sometime and check it out!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
#144 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
Question, mamas--- at what age do you think its appropriate to take a newborn out and about?

to the park?

to the library?

I am going SO stir crazy here. After Carter was born we were able to just hole up for a while and watch The Office... but now that we have a toddler, life does not pause! And I feel like I'm just watching and it's driving me nuts. But I don't want to push it with Hazel, or my body, either.... argh!!!
It's appropriate as soon as YOU think it is. Different for everyone, just go with your gut. If you or Hazel isn't up for it have Rob take Carter. If you want out but don't want to take Hazel, go walk around the block or even the front yard. Do you have a place outside you can sit alone and read/whatever and have Rob bring the baby when needed?

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS! Love the name and so glad you shared pictures, just beautiful.

blogging.jpg 
#145 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like we're FINALLY getting ready to go to TBG.

#146 of 366 Old 02-16-2010, 07:06 PM

nak

hey mamas! wow, i've missed a lot of posts here...

SARAH- CONGRATS Again, and I hope your feeling better.
LOVE the pics- thanks for sharing
As far as the outings go I totally agree with what Brianna said, it totally depends on how you and baby are doing...
I have been avoiding library because of the cold/flu season too.
We have only made it to the park a few times w/o help i.e. dad, or big sis. We made it today to conner pk today and saw a few friends (pete & lil pete too!) it was sooo beautiful! hope to see you all soon!

welcome to the new mamas!!!
#147 of 366 Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM

Just wanted to pass this along. It sounds so fun-I may TRY to make it, if i can get a helper

Farm Days!
Once a month fun days at Agua Linda Farm!

This Saturday, 10am-3pm, the first Farm Day for 2010, celebrating the start of the growing season!
FREE admission!

FREE:
At 10:15, farmer Stewart Loew will be discussing the 2010 growing season and ways that you can incorporate local, fresh foods in your diet!

At the same time, Laurel Loew will do a farm related activity with kids!

New lambs to see in the petting zoo!

Take a scenic hayride!

ALSO:
Pony rides from 11:30-3 ($5/child)
The farm store will be open featuring our first harvest of the year - Spring Mix lettuce and other leafy greens!
The Garden Grill will open at 11am, serving up our grass fed beef burgers and fresh picked salads!

Plan to bring the whole family and enjoy a day on our beautiful farm!

No outside food and no pets please
No RSVP needed
Take I-19 to Exit 42, get on East Frontage Road and turn right, this is our driveway
#148 of 366 Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayLibertySprout View Post
Just wanted to pass this along. It sounds so fun-I may TRY to make it, if i can get a helper

Farm Days!
Once a month fun days at Agua Linda Farm!

This Saturday, 10am-3pm, the first Farm Day for 2010, celebrating the start of the growing season!
FREE admission!

FREE:
At 10:15, farmer Stewart Loew will be discussing the 2010 growing season and ways that you can incorporate local, fresh foods in your diet!

At the same time, Laurel Loew will do a farm related activity with kids!

New lambs to see in the petting zoo!

Take a scenic hayride!

ALSO:
Pony rides from 11:30-3 ($5/child)
The farm store will be open featuring our first harvest of the year - Spring Mix lettuce and other leafy greens!
The Garden Grill will open at 11am, serving up our grass fed beef burgers and fresh picked salads!

Plan to bring the whole family and enjoy a day on our beautiful farm!

No outside food and no pets please
No RSVP needed
Take I-19 to Exit 42, get on East Frontage Road and turn right, this is our driveway

#149 of 366 Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 PM

does anyone have a birth ball/exercise ball that i could borrow for a few months? i thought about buying one at target but figured I'd see if there's one being passed around right now.
is there anyone else besides the people in my ddc that are pregnant? i think everyone has popped right? lol...
#150 of 366 Old 02-19-2010, 06:23 PM

I think it's just us from your DDC-- myself and Sophie (bubbamummy). I'd lend you my ball, but I use it too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page