Playgroup in Tucson 2010 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome to a new year everyone.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Welcome to a new year everyone.
(nak)
thanks- just noticed how many replies there were and was thinking this needed to be done soon!

happy new year everyone!!

I'm thinking we may try to make it to the park this week...we will go to the SDH park day on tue because i'm homeschool my oldest now...does anyone know what park they are at this month? (Brianna?) I need to re-new my membership and get back on the email list!

so we'll probably shoot for conner on thursday. anyone else?
#3 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

There's also a homeschool playgroup for younger kids (I think the oldest is about 7) that meets on the NW side of town. They meet Tuesday mornings. Let me know if anyone wants more info.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 366 Old 01-02-2010, 08:21 PM

subbing.
#5 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayLibertySprout View Post
(nak)
thanks- just noticed how many replies there were and was thinking this needed to be done soon!

happy new year everyone!!

I'm thinking we may try to make it to the park this week...we will go to the SDH park day on tue because i'm homeschool my oldest now...does anyone know what park they are at this month? (Brianna?) I need to re-new my membership and get back on the email list!

so we'll probably shoot for conner on thursday. anyone else?
January SDH is at Ft. Lowell. We haven't been going much, not sure if we will this week.

I'd love to try Connor on Thursdays again but I'm more of an afternoon gal. Nic has Ninjutsu at 6pm on campus so I could do like 3pm...would that work for anyone's schedule?

blogging.jpg 
#6 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
January SDH is at Ft. Lowell. We haven't been going much, not sure if we will this week. Thanks!

I'd love to try Connor on Thursdays again but I'm more of an afternoon gal. Nic has Ninjutsu at 6pm on campus so I could do like 3pm...would that work for anyone's schedule?
we have to get Darby from school at 3pm, so we'll have to be going earlier...sorry to miss you!
#7 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 07:07 AM

Hi friends in 2010!

Happy late birthday to Aeron.

Hugs to your friends Hannah. I can't imagine how they are dealing with that

Welcome Desertgirl - that hike/coffee combo sounds fabulous. I work all the time nowadays but maybe sometime after babe is born I could join you guys.

I think Thursday will be the only day I'm not at the park this week. Enjoy it!

Birthing women extraordinaires, I'm getting nervous about labor. I honestly loved the majority of my last labor and even though it ended in surgery it was still empowering and beautiful. So what's up with these nerves?! Did any of you moms of two or more get more nervous the second time around because you knew what it was like? I go from super excited to hide-my-head-under-a-pillow-must-do-relaxation-exercises jitters. Strategies?

Sara? Danielle? How are you preggers feeling?

I'm contracting a lot already and have had a few other labor-is-impending signs. Don't know if it means anything besides the fact that I'm pregnant and will eventually give birth. But it is all very exciting regardless.

J+B = Little G (1/08) and baby S (1/10)
#8 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 01:00 PM

Beccs, I definitely know where you are coming from. My first pregnancy was easy and labor was kind of enjoyable but for some reason, I could not relax about the second one. I think it was mostly because I was overdue and miserable so I had a very urgent feeling about getting him out! If I do it again I plan on really trying to embrace the pregnancy and enjoy the whole thing rather than dwelling on getting the baby out! Also, it sounds ridiculous but having someone there while I was laboring reminding me to relax really helped. I would just kind of snap out of it and say, oh yeah! I'm fine, relax! I like to think about the image of a forest during a storm. The trees that stand tall and braced against the wind will sometimes snap but the trees that are bendy and flow with the wind seem to have an easier time with the storm. I guess its something different for everyone but I'm sure you'll do wonderfully!

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#9 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 02:41 PM

i don't recall getting more nervous with the second but i do remember wanting to make sure that it went MY way even more so than last time. ds was 11 days overdue though and dd was right on time so i didn't have a week of just pacing around and getting anxious which changed things alot for me (and i think allowed my body to really dig in and get it DONE). this time around even while huge and pregnant i am thinking it's better for baby to stay in...cause i don't have much outside my body for him! lol.

i hit 3rd tri next week and although not nervous about birth it's this impending THING that is approaching more quickly than i'd like. i've hit the "fully pregnant" stage and know i'm just going to get more and more ackward (and tired).

happy late bday to Aeron and hugs to the family with spina bifida problems. surgery on such a tiny thing...miracle but also somehow terribly disturbing!

we get back on the 9th so we won't be hitting the park for almost another 2 weeks.
#10 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 05:07 PM

becca-
i considered myself a birthing goddess during my 2nd- i was reading hypnobabies and spiritual midwifery and a couple other books.... for my 3rd?

i was TERRIFIED! so many times throughout dec i told jared i wanted a csection. i had a really hard time relaxing. And fwiw, it held me up... the night before cedric was born i read over some birth mantras and cried and yelled at myself a little and lo and behold- next day i go into labor.

talk about your fears- the real ones.

i cried to jared about an hour before the birth that i couldnt do it, that it was too much. tht this would be my last. the INSTANT cedric was out i remembered the magic that birth is.... and was so glad i had my support structure to stay strong for me...

we should meet up before the babe....

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#11 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Hello mamas. I've been wanting to post in the playgroup thread but never got around to it. We've been in Tucson for a few months now and would love to meet some mamas and playmates for my LOs.

Becca, definitely agree with talking about and releasing your fears. I have only had one completely natural childbirth experience (DS was a hospital birth) so I can't totally relate but I was definitely frightened until I opened up about what my fears and expectations were.

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#12 of 366 Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

Welcome, Mommy2anangel!

Becca, I love the advice everyone is giving you about talking about your fears. I think I need to do a little more thinking on the whole thing because I'm starting to feel a little too relaxed-- kinda worried labor is going to start and I'll feel underprepared or something. I hope to have a little gathering soon--more details when I work it out--and I hope that will help bring my mind around to the task at hand.

I am feeling fine. I waddle, which I did not do with Carter--this babe sits in my belly in a totally different way!

The biggest thing in our world is that we are nightweaning Carter, at last. He started sleeping through the night around 4 months ago, but it didn't last, and the last couple months he has been nursing 2-4 times a night. I just didn't feel motivated to do anything about it because it didn't bother me, but I had this nagging feeling that we should get C more flexible at nighttime before the baby comes.

Then Rob and I were talking about it and I said said something about eventually moving him to his own bed, and where we would put it, and Rob said "well one day it won't be in our room," and I had this almost violent reaction to the thought the Carter would EVER sleep in a different room than me, and it really made me check my motivations, assumptions, emotions, etc. I realized that a huge part of my resisting nightweaning was not wanting to let go of the baby in him, wanting him to be my little babe curled up in my lap forever and ever. And I decided that while he still does need me a lot, it's selfish of me to keep him so dependent on me when there is another little close on the way.

So two nights ago we cut off milk at night, and the first night I cried way more than Carter did. I told him that "mama milks" were sleeping till morning, and he didn't ask again. We spent 2 hours reading books until he feel asleep with his little head on his pillow. Last night he woke twice and got really mad when I said no milk, then calmed down and fell asleep after about 40 minutes of reading each time. So maybe we're getting somewhere. At least we're expanding his toolbox, so that if I can't be there for him at nighttime when the baby comes, he'll be o.k.

I'm tired!
#13 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Ayn, when do you think you'll be at the park Thursday? We have a home visit with Amy at noon, so I'd have to be home by then.

Everyone, anyone have an extra birthing ball rolling around their house and they aren't using? Mine got a hole and went flat and we tried for months to fix it, to no avail!
#14 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post
Ayn, when do you think you'll be at the park Thursday? We have a home visit with Amy at noon, so I'd have to be home by then.

Everyone, anyone have an extra birthing ball rolling around their house and they aren't using? Mine got a hole and went flat and we tried for months to fix it, to no avail!
Sarah- I'm thinking around 10ish.
I could possibly barrow you my mom's ball- (that's what I used) I don't think she uses it at all anyways! I'll talk to her and if its cool, I'll try to bring it on Thurs.
#15 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahtdubb View Post

ayn if your mom's falls through, sarah you are more than welcome to mine!

i used it tons with both olive and cedric and would kind of love to loan a great labor vibe ball to ya!

let me know!

i am thinking if yall with be there I will most def try to make it to the park. esp if we are bringing the ball

#16 of 366 Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

We're doing Sabino Thursday instead of park...just in case anyone was planning on going in the afternoon.

blogging.jpg 
#17 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks all for your kind and candid thoughts. I really appreciate hearing others' insecurities because I think of you all as super-hero birthers and these nervous moments have eroded some of my confidence for sure. I'm really glad this has come up in some ways because it has really made me think and deal with a whole spiritual aspect of birth that I've been avoiding. Progress...

Jen, I would love to meet up before birth... so sometime between now and mid-Feb. Yar, I love the unpredictability of baby arrival.

Sarah, I'm thinking of you with your night-weaning and sleeping transition. I feel like I haven't nursed a kid in years, though it's been just a few short months, and I'm strangely feeling nervous (though happy) about that too. Gianna and I have been talking about babies and mama milks and I can't believe my little baby girl is going to be a big sister.

My dear cousin, who desperately wants children but has suffered from infertility issues, learned today that her baby died at 4 months gestation. This is her third late loss. I can't help but cry for her and feel so thankful for my healthy babes and for the aches and ickies and worries that come with pregnancy and parenthood. I feel HUGE, but I also feel vigorous punches and rolls and hiccups and protruding feet/hands/elbows, that I wouldn't trade for anything (well besides babe in my arms).

Signing off... I need to see you guys in person so I stop writing books here.

#18 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the welcome!

Becca, I don't have any words of wisdom since I've only been through one pregnancy/labor. I am nervous as hell to ever get pregnant again since I had an easy pregnancy and my daughter has been so wonderful (except for the whole "sleeping" thing). Sorry to hear about your cousin and her baby.

Okay, I'm thinking about a hike on Friday. Or it might be a stroller friendly walk..depends on a friend's availability. Anyone know of any nice paths around town? The Rillito River Park is the only one I can think of.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
#19 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl01 View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

Becca, I don't have any words of wisdom since I've only been through one pregnancy/labor. I am nervous as hell to ever get pregnant again since I had an easy pregnancy and my daughter has been so wonderful (except for the whole "sleeping" thing). Sorry to hear about your cousin and her baby.

Okay, I'm thinking about a hike on Friday. Or it might be a stroller friendly walk..depends on a friend's availability. Anyone know of any nice paths around town? The Rillito River Park is the only one I can think of.

Hope everyone is doing well today.
If you want stroller friendly, the Sabino Canyon tram road is super. There is also Tumamac Hill which is also excellent for a vigorous walk because it is niiice and steep. The bad part is that the trail is closed between I think 7:30 and 5:00 because it is a private road. Or, there is the walk around Reid Park - not so pretty but a nice

#20 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM

Oh mamas, my preggo hormones are hitting me hard this! I keep crying and crying. I am speed-reading Adventures in Tandem Nursing (because I checked it out from my LLL group AGES ago and hope to return it today) and every page and picture is making me sob. I am excited to meet this new babe but SO TERRIFIED of how it will change my life and my relationship with Carter. I know this is a natural fear, and I know in my heart everything will work out...right?
#21 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Oh yeah, those are all great walks, thanks! And Tumamoc is just down the road from me.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a DO specializing in cranial osteopathy for infants? I think that's the same thing as cranial-sacral therapy? I've heard both recommended on the discussion boards to help with infant sleep issues. I'm at my wit's end and am willing to give this approach a try.
#22 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 05:11 PM

Becca- I didn't chime in earlier but I'm glad you're making some progress dealing with your fears. I would spend as much time as you can really trying to pin-point the root, and then deal with that. For example, are you afraid of the pain? Or that something might go wrong?

Sarah- I think of parenting sort of the same as how you deal with labor.

Going with the flow, being open to the changes, not resisting, not trying to control what happens, just being present and trying to get right into all of it. Having the new baby will most definitely change your relationship with Carter, but that's OKAY! Try to embrace that. Or maybe do something symbolic like do hand prints or making sure you get photos of the three of you to honor the little family of three. You could write a letter to Carter (even if you never give it to him) expressing what you're feeling now. Maybe you could think of some kind of new tradition/routine to start with him now, that you can continue even when the baby comes so that you both have something to fall back on. It could be something real simple like waving goodnight to the moon before bed together, or having 5 minutes in the morning to do some sun salutations, just the two of you.
And yes, it will all work out.

blogging.jpg 
#23 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgirl01 View Post
Do any of you have any recommendations for a DO specializing in cranial osteopathy for infants? I think that's the same thing as cranial-sacral therapy? I've heard both recommended on the discussion boards to help with infant sleep issues. I'm at my wit's end and am willing to give this approach a try.
I don't know of any DOs, but I know that Hannah (who posts here) took her infant to the chiropractor for an adjustment, and it really helped with some of their sleep issues. michelle switzer does a lot of work on babies. Our dentist office, Medicine Wheel Dental, does cranio-sacral therapy, but I have no idea if they have experience working on infants. Since it's a dentist's office, I would guess not, but it may be worth checking.

Quote:
You could write a letter to Carter (even if you never give it to him) expressing what you're feeling now...
And yes, it will all work out.
Thanks.
#24 of 366 Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sarah,

I remember reading adventures in tandem nursing. My recollection is a lot of negativity. I didn't think I'd feel that way. However. I am adoptive tandem nursing. Adoptive tandem nursing is difficult because there isn't enough milk to go around. You'll be post-partum tandem nursing so milk supply should not be an issue.

I love nursing my kids individually, though my 4 year old's suck has gotten rather annoying so I don't always have the patience for him.

I do not like nursing the two of them together. I try to avoid it when I can. However, I don't know how much of that comes from worries about milk supply. And, as I said before, now that my guy is 4, nursing him just isn't as enjoyable as it once was. Carter is still young enough that you shouldn't run into this issue for a year or two.

Sometimes it's just not possible to not nurse the two of them together. When the baby was little what I found best for us was for me to side lie to nurse the baby and have my older guy leaning over me from the rear. It was just easiest. Of course, it was complicated when he wore his woodworker's headphones (as he does every night because he's afraid of the smoke detector) and doubly complicated when I had to use the supplementer with the baby--something you won't have to do.

If I can answer any questions for you about tandem nursing, let me know. It has been challenging (mainly because of supply issues,) but I am SO glad we have done this.

Regarding the change in your relationship with Carter. That's a toughie. I'd probably miss the days of pure bliss with just one child, but I'm way to busy to have time for that. Every now and then I get a glimpse of the relationship the two of us had before and I realize how much it has changed. I don't know how much is the addition of a second child and how much is his getting older. (Three is a very challenging age.) Yet the only alternative would be to not have our little Miss Sunshine Kittycat.

Brianna's advice to have a routine with Carter that you can continue after the baby is here is good. One of the thing about adopting is you spend so much time trying to get a baby that you don't have time to research and figure out how you want to parent 2. Then when you get a call and are nursing your new baby 4 hours later you are so overwhelmed by the suddenness of the new baby that you don't even know which way is up. So take advantage of these final days of pregnancy to figure out how you'd like your life with two to go and how you want to give Carter special time once he, by necessity, becomes second priority.

#25 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 07:03 PM

Thanks for your insights, Pam! I am actually kind of excited to see where tandem nursing takes us... I am so glad to have been able to nurse Carter problem-free throughout this pregnancy.

I am 99% we'll be at the park tomorrow. I want to see the new babies!! Jen, if you're able to make it, please do bring your ball full of good labor vibes.
#26 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 09:43 PM

sarah~ let me know in the morning when youll be there.

im naking... but i have to say that i am so glad i decided to tandem nurse. the onky hard part is o is teething and wants to nurse 24/7 for her teething pain.. i didnt think about it and let her nurse her heart out one night and then ced fussed for two hours bc he wanted more mlk than i had

he has a slight tongue tie and i think its hard for him to get a letdown if im not really full? idk....

but when they are both nursing its the sweetest ever. olive will play with cedrics hands or hold them...

plus, i have oversupply, so when my breasts et full of knots, and cedric is full- olive saves the day!

#27 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 10:07 PM

hello mama's- we plan to be there around 10ish...maybe earlier if anyone else will be there?
#28 of 366 Old 01-06-2010, 10:41 PM

I think we'll be there by 9:30! Maybe even 9 if we need to get out of the house and it feels warm enough outside. I'll post in the morning with our status!!
#29 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 11:57 AM

We're heading out for morning errands, and I expect to be at the park 9:30ish, 10?
#30 of 366 Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM

We are going to head over to conner park around 10 today if anyone else wants to join.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page