Salt Lake valley moms who drink raw milk... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 01-09-2010, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've been driving to Orem every few weeks to buy raw milk - we freeze what we don't drink right away. We'd rather be able to drink it fresh each week, but weekly drives down are not feasible. The only other place I know of to buy raw milk is in Ogden and that's not any closer.

Anyway, would anyone be interested in forming a kind of co-op to get raw milk into the Salt Lake valley? We'd just take turns driving down (or up) to buy the milk and then each person would pick up and pay for their share at the driver's home. I think we'd need 4 to 6 families to make it work.

Is anyone interested in doing this with us?

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#2 of 24 Old 01-11-2010, 07:36 PM

I am currently in a raw milk co-op in SLC and we REALLY would love more drivers!!!
We order from Huckleberry Dairy and the pick up point is in Pleasant Grove.

You can go to the yahoo group to join!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#3 of 24 Old 01-11-2010, 07:38 PM

Oh yeah, the milk is $6.13 a gallon, paid in advance at the Dairy website.
We get fresh milk weekly.
So far, I have driven maybe once a month? The more people that join, the less we have to drive.

#4 of 24 Old 01-12-2010, 10:11 AM

Is Huckleberry completely grass/hay fed? I live up in Ogden and get raw up here, but the thought of 100% grassfed is tempting. Do they only do milk, or do they also offer cream? Thanks.
#5 of 24 Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

I just joined the forum.

Semi-crunchy Mama to three happy, healthy girls - T(6/08), A (12/10) and B (12/10)
#6 of 24 Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 PM

That group is such a great idea... too bad I live in bountiful now or I would join very quickly lol

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#7 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM

We can always use more dependable members.
The more members, the less often you have to drive!

#8 of 24 Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM

Mostly jerseys, but I know they have a few random cows thrown in they bought from other, closing dairies. Grass/hay fed during the winter and grass fed in the summer. I love the milk. If you ask me, it's WAY better than the Redmond milk at Real Foods. It just tastes better.
The only thing that would make it better is if they would send it out in glass, like our old dairy did. They use plastic jugs.

#9 of 24 Old 01-23-2010, 04:51 AM

Drake family farms over in West Jordan sells raw goat milk...very tasty. I don't drink milk myself (very rarely) but I've had theirs before.
#10 of 24 Old 01-24-2010, 02:42 PM

Hi, all-
We don't currently drink raw milk, but your discussion got me interested. Would you mind sharing why you drink raw milk? Is it for health benefits, taste...?

Please enlighten me
#11 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 AM

Hi, my name is Heidi. this is the first time ive even been on a forum. i really dont know how they work. But my husband and i were planning to travel to ogden or orem to get the raw milk too. I'd love to join if you are still doing it. Let me know. I dont even really know how to find out if you write back. im hoping it sends later posts to my email. haha if not, i will check back in a few days i guess. i found this page randomly off of google. So hopefully i will find it again. Cant wait to hear from you all! XOXO

Heidi
#12 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 10:14 AM

www.realmilk.com is a great place to look to start getting acquainted with the reasons for raw.

Heidi- welcome! I can't say that I am very savvy on here, so no tips to share. I do get my milk in Ogden (I live in Ogden as well) so let me know if you have any questions.
#13 of 24 Old 01-25-2010, 11:27 AM

where do you gals get your milk in ogden?

Bec, Married eternally to Dan for ten years. Parents to A (8/17/06) O (12/30/09) one love lost (2/07/09) and my little twin angels (9/24/11, 10/11/11)

#14 of 24 Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Bob Ropelato in West Haven. He owns Johnny's Dairy, but you can go to the farm to get raw.
#15 of 24 Old 01-30-2010, 04:28 AM

I have a big raw milk page on facebook that lists many resources and information and another page specific to Utah. Come visit here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Mi...9654556?ref=mf
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utah-A...M/303257885999
#16 of 24 Old 01-30-2010, 04:30 AM

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Mi...9654556?ref=mf here is a good resource with many tetimonials and people who have shared personal reasons fo using raw milk as well as articles and other information.
#17 of 24 Old 06-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Rose Red,

I live in Farmington and my sister is interested in doing a Raw milk co-op but only with the Redmond Farms NOT Johnny's Dairy because we want only pasture fed and happy grazing cows to feed us!  So, if you would like to join us and if you know of any others who want to start up a RAW MILK co-op with us that would be GREAT!  I am going to see if anyone else in our neighborhood is interested as well...we have a few health conscious individuals who would probably take turns going down to buy a large amount for everyone and then meet at that individuals home .  Let me know if you would like to join us...the more the merrier! 

Charise

#18 of 24 Old 11-05-2011, 04:25 PM

I am interested in joining this coop. How do I go about it? I live in Holladay.

#19 of 24 Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 PM

They are selling raw milk in West Jordan now so I'm pretty sure the driving co-op has been disbanded.  Here's the info:  http://www.utahnaturalmeat.com/milk

Cindycaffix.gif, wife to soapbox.gif, mama to DD1 (4/97)lol.gif, DD2 (3/99)bouncy.gif, DS (4/03)biggrinbounce.gif, and DD3 (6/07)energy.gif, 3 cat.gif, and 10 chicken3.gif.

#20 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 01:57 AM

Hi there!  :)

We're in a raw milk car pool too!  We're in Centerville and pick up from C2 Farms, but instead of driving to Pleasant Grove, they recently added a pick up location in West Jordan at Utah Natural Meat.  Their website is UtahNaturalMeat.com.  I just thought I'd let you know so you could save yourself some driving time.  :)

~ Kathy

#21 of 24 Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 AM

Hi Charise,

You're welcome to join our carpool.  We're in Centerville.  We don't pick up from Redmond Farms in Orem, we pick up from Utah Natural Meat in West Jordan.  They distribute milk from C2 Farms and the cows are completely pastured.  We used to purchase from Redmond Farm, and the milk is good, but this is closer and I think the milk tastes a little better.  I talked to one of the workers at Hyon Health (we used to pick up there before C2 began delivering to West Jordan) and she said that Redmond uses a single breed of cow and C2 uses 2-3 breeds (don't remember how many) and blends their milk.  I have noticed that the milk from C2 has more cream than the milk we used to get from Redmond.  If you're interested in joining our car pool, let me know.

~ Kathy

#22 of 24 Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM

Hello All - I just joined this forum. I bought my first gallon of Raw Milk from West Jordan yesterday! It tasted pretty good. I just e-mailed c2farms and they said they aren't allowed to sell raw cream. That got me thinking - has anyone heard of a cow-share, or knows somebody who does that? I heard from my cousin that some people pay money for a "share" of someone's cow. They get to go milk the cow themselves once a week or something like that.

I have no idea how to milk a cow, but I think that would be pretty awesome.

Also, do you know if c2farms homogenize their milk? When I bought my gallon I didn't notice any separation, and I thought milk usually separates to form a yellowish cream and a blue-ish milk...

Thanks!

-Laura

#23 of 24 Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 PM

I'm on a quest for raw milk and would be interested in joining this group assuming it is still running.  Who do I need to contact to become a part of this co-op?

#24 of 24 Old 05-29-2012, 02:38 PM

yes, i would be intr...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page