Tucson Mom-To-Be New to MDC Forums - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there! I'm new to the forums and thought I'd introduce myself.

I am 31 years old, and my husband and I are expecting our first, a little girl, in April. We've been married for about a year and a half, together for four. I've lived in Tucson for about twelve years, he's a native Tucsonan.

I work from home for a large software company, and sadly, will have to continue doing so once Cecilia comes, as much as I want to be a SAHM.

Does anyone do weekend meetups, preferably on the east side?

Also, I'm hoping to find pediatrician recommendations, also on the east side. I'm a bit on the crunchy side myself-- we're going to cloth diaper, I believe in attachment parenting, extended breastfeeding, babywearing, etc. I want to find a pediatrician who understands that we prefer things natural, although we're not anti-vaccination.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here!

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Welcome and congratulations.

My husband is off weekends, so that's family time. We live near the U so I have no recommendations for the east side. However, the birth center has a mom/baby group that meets on Saturdays. It is open to anyone, not just their patients. The group members are either working moms who have weekends off or moms with older kids that stay home with dad on his day off so mom and baby can have some special time together. I highly recommend attending.

There are some moms on the east side (1 just had her third baby) in the playgroup we have from here. Just look for the Tucson playgroup and post there. Although I know most of those moms check out the tribal area, they may be more likely to see your posting if you post there.

Regarding pediatricians. We drive to Catalina Pediatrics on Swan and see Janel LLoyd. Although she's pro-vaccine, she respects that we are not. She nursed her kids and is VERY supportive of breastfeeding. I trust her a lot. (And I'm a nurse so it's my nature to distrust doctors.)

Congratulations on your baby. You're about to have you life turned upside down and inside out. It's very surreal at first and oh so wonderful.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply!!

Do you just mean the "Playgroup in Tuscon 2010" thread in Utah, Arizona section of the Tribal Areas, or is there another thread for me to seek out?

Also, thank you for your pediatrician recommendation. I will call them this week to see if they are accepting new UHC patients, or expect to be able to come April.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi Cecilia's Mama,

welcome! and congrats on your upcoming baby. you're in for such an adventure!

Yes, the Tucson Playgroup 2010 thread is where we usually post about getting together, etc. Most of the time we are doing stuff together during the week, and I tend to stick close to my hubby on the weekends, but we are certainly up for weekend gatherings at parks, etc.

We also go to Catalina Pediatrics, where we see Dr. Moussa. She's fine-- she supports extended breastfeeding (I've heard horror stories about peds who tell women to stop nursing st 6 months, but when my son was sick at 18 months Dr. Moussa praised us for still BFing and ensured it would help him) and goes along with our delayed vax schedule.

I am also a member of an attachment parenting group here in town.. it's on Meetup, so if you google something like "tucson attachment parenting meetup," you'll find it. it's a nice bunch of parents who are dedicated to attachment parenting.

I'll be having a new baby any day now, so our babies won't be too far apart in age! I also have a son who is 2 1/2.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

This delayed vax schedule is intriguing to me-- what is the schedule y'all are using like? And are there some resources you know of I can look at about delaying vaccinations?

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
This delayed vax schedule is intriguing to me-- what is the schedule y'all are using like? And are there some resources you know of I can look at about delaying vaccinations?
I'd recommend reading this book. The library has it, though I bought a copy so I can keep referring to it:
http://www.amazon.com/What-Doctor-Ab...4395778&sr=8-1

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:05 AM

Another good way to meet moms with new babies is library story time. We've made lots of friends there. I think the baby times are all during the week. However, if you could get away to one on an ongoing basis you're sure to love it.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCrepes View Post
Another good way to meet moms with new babies is library story time. We've made lots of friends there. I think the baby times are all during the week. However, if you could get away to one on an ongoing basis you're sure to love it.
Yeah, that would only work if there is a weekend group, as I'm not going to have a choice but to work when Cecilia comes. It's got me pretty bummed out and I really wish there was an alternative. I'll look to see if there's weekend storytime though!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 AM

Welcome, and congrats! I am in Sierra Vista.

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 01-25-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Yeah, that would only work if there is a weekend group, as I'm not going to have a choice but to work when Cecilia comes. It's got me pretty bummed out and I really wish there was an alternative. I'll look to see if there's weekend storytime though!
There are family story times on the weekend. It's just not the same as baby time. So do check out the birth center Saturday group. The Parent Connection is a great place too. Though I don't think they have weekend activities. Check them out, just in case.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Welcome! I'm pretty new to the boards myself.

I also use Catalina Pediatrics, Dr. Lloyd. We like her just fine, but we've only seen her 3 times and had no real issues, so who knows?

I work 4 days a week, and have Fri-Sun off. I try to go hiking on Fridays with some of my friends and babes...mentioned it here in the Playdate thread but have yet to actually try to organize anything with the ladies here.

DH and I may also start attending the Saturday group at the Birth Center, though we've been saying that forever (our babe is 8 months old).

Anyway, glad to "meet" you, and congrats on Cecilia.

User Tag List