Any 'crunchy' mammas deliver at TMC? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My doula just called and checked their 'policies' and they told her:

hospital policy is that healthy infants are taken from the mother an hour or two after birth to the nursery for 2 hours

hahaha...yeah...NO! There will be a HUGE problem with me and this policy. Why on earth would you remove a healthy baby from its mother for 2 hours??

Anyone deliver than NOT have this 'ploicy' implemented, or anyone just straight out refuse? I wondered how much of an 'issue' it caused.

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#2 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 09:58 PM

I will be delivering there. And I will be raising hell over that policy. Unless something has changed drastically, though, you're able to get around it-- my sister was a birth center mama who ended up with complications and had her first at TMC. She did not have Lily out of the room at all, let alone for two hours. So, unless they've become real tight-asses about it since my niece was born 6 years ago, I am not foreseeing an issue.

Are you now delivering at TMC? I thought you were a birth center mama?

bedsharing, knitting, toddler-nursing, nerdy, babywearing mama!

familybed1.gif  knit.gif toddler.gif  geek.gif  momsling.GIF

#3 of 17 Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
I will be delivering there. And I will be raising hell over that policy. Unless something has changed drastically, though, you're able to get around it-- my sister was a birth center mama who ended up with complications and had her first at TMC. She did not have Lily out of the room at all, let alone for two hours. So, unless they've become real tight-asses about it since my niece was born 6 years ago, I am not foreseeing an issue.

Are you now delivering at TMC? I thought you were a birth center mama?

I am *hopefully* going to be birthing at the birth center, Im just trying to cover my bases y'know. I hear the birth center likes to cover their bottoms and if anything goes vaguely 'not as planned' you end up with a transfer. I wanted to feel prepared. I too will be raising hell over that 'policy' I was envisioning a tug of war over the baby them trying to take him/her and me saying 'noooooooooooo' They said to 'refuse would be a big hassle' so...looks like you and me (if I end up being there) will be a 'big hassle' hope they're excited

#4 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Yeah, I mean, they didn't put up a ginormous fight with my sister. In fact, her midwife Tanya delivered Lily at TMC, with an OB standing by in case of emergency. My sister reassures me constantly that my birth plan doesn't contain anything unheard of. So again, unless they've really changed in the past few years, I'm cautiously optimistic. I have some things on my plan that I am willing to negotiate with, if there is a need, but many that are absolutely non-negotiable. And frankly, I couldn't care less if I am a hassle to them. It's my baby, dammit, I will do my best to have what I feel is the best for her.

#5 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 03:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I worked at TMC in the 80s. Can't stand that hospital. I birthed at the birth center in '05. I did have to go to TMC for a couple episodes with pre-term labor. Then my son had to be admitted there at 16 days. I can only imagine the things the nurses said about me during report. Oh well.

I wrote out 3 birth plans. 1 for the birth center. 1 if there was an honest to god life threatening emergency (just cut it out and keep us both alive.) and 1 for a birth at TMC that wasn't such a big deal. "NO ONE MAY TOUCH MY BABY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION."

If they use a line like, "It's for the baby's protection." let them know that you appreciate their concern, but you are far more interested in the baby's well being than they are.

I found that if I stayed firm, they always backed down. It's stupid when you have some reason to need hospitalization that you have to fight. I didn't have to do that when I gave birth, but I did 2 weeks later. Just stand firm and do not waiver. And if they have the nurse manager come in to lecture you,a s they did me, keep standing firm. They work through intimidation. It was really funny that having the nurse manager was supposed to scare me. They literally told me if I didn't co-operate they would have the house supervisor talk to me. How asinine.

They'll gossip about you in report, but that's their problem.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#6 of 17 Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 AM

Here is a copy of the letter I sent TMC after our son was hospitalized:

My 16 day old baby was hospitalized on the pediatric unit for jaundice in January. I received a satisfaction survey after that, but didn’t have the time to fill it out. It also didn’t address my concerns, so I thought I’d send you my thoughts now.

Our experience in the pediatric ED was positive.

We had 2 requests when we were told he would be admitted: a private room or a room where the other patient wasn’t watching TV. We didn’t get either request. I understand this is a physical reality of your hospital, but it was difficult. I mention this in hopes that if you rebuild your hospital, you will construct only private rooms. (So much for HIPPA policy. I learned every detail of our roommate’s condition whenever the doctors or nurses spoke with the family.) However, I was more upset by other issues.

1.My son had bili levels drawn every few hours. Every blood draw, I had to inform your staff that a heel warmer would be applied to my baby’s foot to insure as good, and therefore as comfortable, a stick as possible. NOT ONE person had a heel warmer available prior to my request. One nurse (yes, nurse, she was not a tech,) out and out refused and stuck my baby despite my objections.

2.Every blood draw, your staff wanted to wrap my baby in blankets. NOT ONE person suggested I nurse him to take advantage of the natural anesthetic effect of breastfeeding. Obviously, I insisted we do this and he didn’t scream through any of his many draws.

3.I questioned one of the techs drawing blood about the microcontainer she’d selected. She assured me it was a designated container. They had to stick my baby again because the blood from that sample had “clotted.” (I have verified with another lab, bili levels are supposed to clot. I assume that was an excuse to cover up the incorrect microcontainer.)

4.Several of the people drawing were going to do 2 sticks to make a cross shape to increase the blood flow. I would only let them stick him once. If the flow wasn’t good, I would take over and squeeze his foot since I am good at this (an old NICU nurse) and he usually didn’t need a second stick. If the flow wasn’t good, I requested a second stick. I do not understand why your staff wanted to start with 2 sticks before they knew if that was necessary.

5.I insisted my baby boy wear a diaper when he was receiving phototherapy. I received snide comments from several of the nurses regarding this. They stated the diapers were always removed and that it would be better for my baby if the diaper were removed. I insisted he remain diapered. After his discharge I checked the AAP policy which states, “In most circumstances, it is not necessary to remove the infant’s diaper, but when bilirubin levels approach the exchange transfusion range, the diaper should be removed until there is clear evidence of a significant decline in the bilirubin level.” As my baby was not in range of an exchange transfusion, and his second bili level was greatly reduced, the nurses’ information was not supported. The fact that there were snide comments is obviously inappropriate under any circumstance.

6.My baby was admitted into his room at midnight. During the next 24 hours I only received 2 periods of 1 hour of sleep. Our attending came by during my one daytime nap and my husband didn’t wake me. Since I missed out on that conversation, I was told the residents would come and speak with me later that evening. Because they were very busy, it was understandable they did not arrive until about 9 p.m. However, the information they gave us (that our baby was to remain under the bili lights) was different than the info my husband received from the attending (that the lights would be turned off at night so we could see what his rebound bili level was.) We went forth with phototherapy that night and learned in the morning from our attending that my husband’s info was correct and the residents’ info was wrong.

7.Because I was essentially 36 hours without sleep and had spent the day rocking my baby under the bililights to keep him calm (I wore sunglasses and a blanket over my head,) I told the residents I couldn’t keep my baby calm with regular bililights. We needed an alternative. It took some wrangling, but they finally agreed to a bilibed. Somewhere in there, they mentioned the final decision would be the attending’s. I corrected them that the final decision would be mine and my husband’s. They essentially threatened me by telling me if we checked out AMA, our insurance might not cover the bill. (Check out? Who said that? And what does that have to do with the fact that they need to respect our authority regarding our child?)

8.The bili bed was better than the bili lights at allowing our son to calm without being cuddled. However, I still had to stand by his bassinet to quiet him. I needed sleep and could not do this in a standing position. I told the nurses I needed his bassinet at a lower level so I could lie beside it with my hands touching my baby. The charge nurse came into the room threatening to call the house supervisor (was that supposed to scare me into submission?) She also kept repeating, “We need to do this for his safety,” as if she were more concerned about MY baby’s safety than I was. I told her my goal was to insure my baby got his therapy and that he, my husband, our roommates, and I got some sleep. This could not happen with his bassinet elevated in the bassinet stand. We eventually came to an agreement of where to place the bassinet, but I couldn’t believe I’d been threatened and it had been insinuated that the staff was more concerned for my baby’s safety than I was. Why did it need to be an incident rather than a conversation? (If the residents had followed the attendings instructions, all of this would have been a non-issue as our baby would have slept snuggled instead of sleeping in the bilibed.)

Needless to say, I was quite dissatisfied with the care my son received. I hope this letter will help you educate your staff to higher standards of patient care.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#7 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 11:40 AM

sorry about how hard your experience was , I have seen similar care done over the years there although I have to say that I do like the Neonatal intensive care docs. But even in different departments you get similar types of treatment- their systems for communication are terrible - they escalate to threats easily and they have the highest rate of giving the wrong meds to the wrong patients/ probably somewhat due to their communication problems-
in contrast at the U where you still get many students I have not found that same disconnect somehow their administrative structure is more efficient , I also have not seen the threatening behaviors done there either-much more respect for patient's rights
#8 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 01:46 PM

Yeah, we always go to UMC ER when we have an afterhours emergency. The time we went to TMC and he was admitted the only reason we went there is the UMC ER was really busy that day, they didn't have the peds waiting room then, and I didn't want my newborn exposed to colds and flus in an adult ER. PLUS, it was my husband's birthday and we wanted to go out to dinner. We thought we'd get a blood test done and go on our merry way so we went to TMC which said they had an empty ER. If I'd known he was going to be admitted, we would have gone to UMC.

#9 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 09:32 PM

I had my son there in '01 and he was being delivered by a Birth Center midwife.

They were pretty horrible actually.

There were many issues but since you asked about taking the baby...

We fought and fought and I didn't let them take him but they insisted he needed to go get checked out. I was only 17 and afraid of CPS being called, so instead of fighting, I hopped up out of bed 45 minutes after delivering (and getting stitches), and went with him. I stood next to the bassinet while they looked him over. I was lightheaded and they said since I was being difficult and insisted on being there, I couldn't have a chair.

I've always assumed that they were particularly rude to me because of my age, because I've heard of people having lovely experiences there.

blogging.jpg 
#10 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post

We fought and fought and I didn't let them take him but they insisted he needed to go get checked out. I was only 17 and afraid of CPS being called, so instead of fighting, I hopped up out of bed 45 minutes after delivering (and getting stitches), and went with him. I stood next to the bassinet while they looked him over. I was lightheaded and they said since I was being difficult and insisted on being there, I couldn't have a chair. I've always assumed that they were particularly rude to me because of my age, because I've heard of people having lovely experiences there.

wow...how lovely of them!! makes you wonder how anyone can be like that!!

Its now looking like I might be getting a c-section there unless this stubborn baby decided to flip from breech anytime soon.

#11 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post

We fought and fought and I didn't let them take him but they insisted he needed to go get checked out. I was only 17 and afraid of CPS being called, so instead of fighting, I hopped up out of bed 45 minutes after delivering (and getting stitches), and went with him. I stood next to the bassinet while they looked him over. I was lightheaded and they said since I was being difficult and insisted on being there, I couldn't have a chair.

I've always assumed that they were particularly rude to me because of my age, because I've heard of people having lovely experiences there.
you know I have been to maybe 1 or 2 decent enough births and I really do like the birth center and the midwives and their back-up docs but even with my favorite doc, when she was out of the room the nurse counterdicted the info the doc just gave us, and she must have known that would happen and walked back in and the nurse had to give up being difficult for that minute... and yet we had hours to go with her after that- any how if you get the right nurses and the right docs (and that means the shift nurse too) you could have a good birth there. one thing is after the baby is born you have to sign the baby in- and what one couple did was considered not signing the baby in and going home-well they decided that the baby and mom could stay together --of course next day when they were going to sign out ama the CPS threats came .
#12 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We adopted our son and were warned by our agency that TMC is AWFUL to adoptive parents, and often not so nice to the birth moms either. They recommended that if we and the birth mom have a choice, to go to UMC or St Joe's b/c they're much more adoption friendly. They have had several matches where the birth mom was gong to relinquinsh her rights after the baby was born b/c she was on drugs, so she did the responsible thing and made an adoption plan. But when she went to deliver and told the nurses her plan and that she wanted the adoptive family there (or that they would be coming), they ignored that part of the scenario, didn't tell the agency or the birth parents when the baby was born, and then called (at least once) or threatened to call CPS b/c the baby was exposed to drugs.

When that happens, it doesn't matter what the birth mom intended. There's no paperwork done (can't sign til after the birth) and the baby goes to CPS if there are drugs involved. So now this mom who has enough issues already doesn't know where her baby is going to be, the adoptive family she chose who was waiting and ready to take their baby home go home empty-handed, and the agency is left to fight it out with CPS (who thankfully, USUALLY have their heads on straight enough to let the birth mom sign her paperwork and get on with her healing).

But really, why cause so much drama on purpose?? It's cruel and completely unnecessary.

I will say that we've made a few trips to the ER there already and have been somewhat impressed, but that really doesn't make things better for the new moms in labor and delivery.
#13 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Hey S, I just learned from a mama today who delivered at TMC that they actually have tubs, showers, birthing balls, birthing stools and so on available-- you just have to ask for them. So I'm feeling even a little better about delivering there now (not that I have a choice), knowing that I can ask for things to make my labor easier. I was under the impression that they didn't have any tubs, I guess they have them in two of the labor rooms.

#14 of 17 Old 03-15-2010, 08:48 PM

I've had two of my three babies at TMC.
As a doula who has been in practice 10 years I've done more births at TMC than any other hospital in town.

There are ways around the "baby to the nursery" policy. Get your OB and/or Ped on board and have them give orders to transition baby in recovery. That way when mom is moved to postpartum baby goes with mom instead of to the nursery. If they're busy they'll give you some flack, but usually it isn't that big of a deal.

I have to say that the majority of my experiences with TMC have been wonderful, it's a shame to see all these horror stories. Maybe having a doula as an advocate really does make a difference in how women are treated.

Angela

Doula2You

#15 of 17 Old 03-16-2010, 01:16 AM

Thank you for that, Angie, I added your wording of "transition baby in recovery" to my birth plan!

I am not anticipating having a horrible experience or anything at TMC. From everything I have been able to glean, it just takes being firm and laying down your expectations. I have a very complete but not overwhelming (at least I don't think so) birth plan, a husband who's on board with all of it, and a VERY strong-willed sister who is acting as my doula. I feel pretty good overall!

#16 of 17 Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Thank you for that, Angie, I added your wording of "transition baby in recovery" to my birth plan!

I am not anticipating having a horrible experience or anything at TMC. From everything I have been able to glean, it just takes being firm and laying down your expectations. I have a very complete but not overwhelming (at least I don't think so) birth plan, a husband who's on board with all of it, and a VERY strong-willed sister who is acting as my doula. I feel pretty good overall!
This will make a world of difference. I had my midwife and also had my very strong willed sister and they were able to prevent the nurses from doing lots unnecessary things during labor.

blogging.jpg 
#17 of 17 Old 06-04-2010, 03:17 AM

i know i'm probably a little late.... but i had my 2nd son at TMC. i went to the birth center for my prenatal care, but because i am a VBAC momma, i "had" to deliver at the hospital. so i showed up pushing and my midwife caught. my husband or i was always with my baby, at all times. and he was never gone for long. i didn't have to put up much of a fight. they also never argued about not vaxxing, no eye goop, no circ, or anything!

i have no experience at any of the other hospitals in tucson to compare my experience to, though. i will say, i'm happy i showed up pushing, instead of labouring at the hospital though. the delivery part was a hassle (unlike afterwards). i literally showed up pushing, but they wanted to put me through triage and do the stupid monitors and the VE and get me on the bed and "don't push!" and blah blah blah. next time, i'm staying home

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page