Looking to take a road trip to AZ - suggestions for where to stay, things to see? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm in MN and I'm trying to plan a road trip with my three unschooling kids (2, 4 and 8) and my au pair. I'd like to get to AZ for sure, possibly Sedona but I'm open to where else. Probably the Grand Canyon. I want suggestions about cheap places to stay while we are there. I'm going to check out KOA campsites for Kamping Kabins. Any other suggestions?

Also, what would you suggest we try to do/see while we are there?

Thanks!
Tracy

Rockin' mama to Allison (9), Asher (5) and Alethea (3), head over heels in love with my sexy husband, Tony.

#2 of 5 Old 02-22-2010, 03:15 PM

We took our kids to Arizona and Utah last summer. We saw the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater, as well as Bryce Canyon in Utah, but our favorite place was Zion National Park in Utah. Just beautiful. We camped at Zion Canyon Campground. Our second favorite campsite (we were RVing) was Wahweap Park on Lake Powell.

The Imax movie in the town outside of the South Grand Canyon showed an interesting movie about Powell and the exploration of the Canyon. It was worth seeing (not sure about your young DC though).

Phoenix has several museums that sounded good, but we were there on July 4th and they were closed. Sigh.

BTW, July was insanely hot in Arizona. I am from the south and thought so. When are you planning on going?

Have fun planning!

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)
#3 of 5 Old 02-23-2010, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When are you planning on traveling?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 5 Old 02-25-2010, 01:07 AM

places we love in the northern areas:
Little Colorado River Canyon (it's really close to the grand canyon, just as beutiful, but more of a road less traveled kind of place)
The Painted Desert/Petrified Forest
Sedona
Flagstaff

There's a tone of stuff for kids in the Phoenix area, The Children's Museum is always a great hit for kids of any age.

depending on how far south and what your kids are interested in, you can see reenactments in tombstone
we love the town of Bisbe
#5 of 5 Old 02-25-2010, 01:30 AM

We adore the Phoenix Zoo if you'll be near Phoenix.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page