Midwife Group recommendations in the ASU area - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-14-2010, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there,
My son a sophomore at ASU informed us this XMAS that he's knocked up his little gal pal... They are quite in love... and engaged and excited for the new babes...

I was hoping that someone could recommend a good Midwife Group in the area. I'm from Northern Virginia and have had all 5 of my deliveries with a midwife. I'm also an RN/Doula so my son has lots of exposure to natural living. His girlfriend is not yet open to using a midwife... but he certainly would like to encourage her to at least have a consult so she can experience what it's all about.

They will be moving to the Polytechnic Campus in May/June... Delivery in July... but I am not familiar with the area at all. Currently they are on the TEMPE campus and seeing a local doctor... Not sure of his name.

Any recommendations for a good midwife group that delivers in hospital? (I just don't think she's ready for home or birthing center birth)...

Thanks so much!
Jennifer
#2 of 8 Old 03-30-2010, 11:50 PM

I had a great experience with Connie Garcia and Anita Martinez who are both CNM's who deliver at St. Joseph's. I know it'll be a drive for them once they're at the Polytechnic Campus, though. If they think it's just too far, perhaps Connie or Anita could recommend someone out that direction?

I've heard good things about Dr. Kells's (Boojum Obstetrics) midwife that he works with--Ramona Joseph. They deliver at Mercy Gilbert, which would be closer. I've heard they'll allow water-laboring there.

Hope that helps!
#3 of 8 Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 AM

The Bethany Midwives deliver at Phoenix Baptist in Central Phx.

Victoria, natural childbirth educator and certified labor doula
#4 of 8 Old 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM

not much help but you sound like an awesome soon to be MIL

mama to one '07 and one '09
#5 of 8 Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 AM

Brittani Hamilton and Diane Bajus are CNMs who attend births at Tempe St. Lukes, which is a small community hospital right across the street from the ASU Tempe campus. Here's a link to their practice.

http://www.phoenicianwomenscare.com/

Also a couple of amazing home birth midwives, Marina Valenzuela-Farrell and Wendy Cleckner just joined together to start a new practice and their new office is right in the ASU area as well. Here is their info.

http://www.freedomandtheseed.com/index.html

The valley is blessed with an abundance of wonderful home birth midwives and quite a few who practice in a hospital setting as well. I know they'll find someone who is the right fit.

You might also suggest that they check out the Az Birth Network's Birth Circles, which are monthly discussion groups and where they'll get to meet and hear from lots of other families preparing for birth and also lots of birth professionals. Here's a link with info on Birth Circles:

http://www.azbirthnetwork.com/monthlymeetings.htm

Good luck!

Jenny: 40 Something AP mom to 2 adult kids, 2 teen step kids, and one amazing 7YO. Doula and Brio Birth educator, too!
#6 of 8 Old 04-16-2010, 09:29 PM

freedom and the seed with marinah farrell and wendi cleckner. right by asu and marinah just helped me deliver my baby boy who had shoulder dystocia - she was awesome !!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#7 of 8 Old 04-23-2010, 11:57 AM

I would also recommend Freedom and the Seed. Marinah was my midwife for my daughter's birth, and Wendi was my midwife with my son.
#8 of 8 Old 06-27-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzhak3 View Post
I've heard good things about Dr. Kells's (Boojum Obstetrics) midwife that he works with--Ramona Joseph. They deliver at Mercy Gilbert, which would be closer. I've heard they'll allow water-laboring there.

Hope that helps!
I had a homebirth but Dr. Kells has 2 MW's that birth at the hospital. I've been to the office, they are great!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page